996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Will two of these mufflers work on my 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
That's not my car. I poached it off a bimmer forum lol.

Just looking for examples of the setup that I would try if I were going a different route. If you're gonna do it cheap, it's not gonna be pretty. Dont expect the muffler shop across town to provide the beautiful tig welds of an aftermarket system... you get what you pay for in that regard. Now if you (or a buddy) can purge and tig properly, you can make a beauty at home for fairly cheap. That being said, the muffler and piping is entirely hidden so who cares if it's a Michelangelo??

Last edited by Stebo; 01-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Mine is ugly but works awesome. It started life as a custom X pipe build with four small resonator mufflers that I bought from someone on here. It was too loud so I used two of the resonators along with the Magnaflow. It just has some turn downs on it right now, I am adding nice stainless tips pretty soon. I am very happy with it. Go 3 inch because the X setup isn't exactly ideal, so you want it big.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I got the Magnaflow X pipe muffler and having it installed tomorrow. It's a small muffler and light. It will probably still be loud, but much tamer than straight pipes from my cats. I only did the 2 1/4 inch size to match the factory diameter and I'm using the factory tips that are 2 1/4 anyway. Hope it sounds good. I'll let you know. Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I am super curious how it turns out with that diameter pipe.

If you want to, you can have them cut a hole in it and pack it with fiber... would reduce boominess.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:13 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
The muffler is packed with fiberglass and I'm more than happy with the results. The muffler is an X-pipe design and the sound is exactly what I was hoping for. Nice deep note with no raspy sounds or vibration at all. It is much more quiet than the straight pipes and the performance feels the same. I'm really excited about this setup and I will be keeping this car and this exhaust. It is in at about a 45 degree angle to keep it from looking much lower than the bumper and I have 1 inch of space from the engine and one inch from the rear bumper shielding with the slight tilt. This also allowed a more even bend to the pipes. Not a drastic bend. I really can't believe how much I like it. I'm going to have the entire exhaust ceramic coated in jet black next. I have never posted vid clips on here before, but I will try to get a sound clip up when I get a chance. Magnaflow is the best! Thanks for your input. I love it! Sounds like a Porsche should. Not a vacuum cleaner, like with factory exhaust, and not loud and raspy like with straight pipes. I'd say it is medium loud at throttle and has a perfect tone at low RPM's with zero rattling or drone. This was very inexpensive, but I would not change a thing, besides having it all ceramic coated next. WOOHOO!

Old 01-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM
I'm so glad to read this man! Most of all, glad you're happy with it

Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Thanks! Magnaflow rulz! My installer was telling me to never use Flowmaster and he pulled out a burnt muffler and explained why they are not adequate for high HP cars. He is a drifter and also only uses Magnaflow. This exhaust only cost me $ 334 with install, but not counting my sport cats. I'm really impressed. It really sounds just how I wanted, but I honestly didn't expect to get her to sound so perfect for what I like for this price. The cats are also Magnaflow 200 cell. I have got to get a sound clip on here. Thanks again for your guys input and thoughts. That slight tilt of the muffler is the way to go. I can easily slide my low profile floor jack under her and it doesn't come close to hitting the muffler. I'm really pleased.