996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercoolers for 2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Intercoolers for 2019

So what have the folks on the track experienced over time?
I have read threads on Intercooler selection here for a long time. Not a easy decision..Given the fact that years have gone by what would be a good choice today?
This will be my winter project…like a house…never really ends.
Considerations: Ease of install I don’t have a fabrication shop. I can trim plastic, metal & shrouds and drill holes. I have many tools, work on all my cars and a machinist in another life.
I like working on my car but don’t want this to be a week long fabrication process.
I prefer oem or German made. My use is street & DE. Future motor plans… no more than 650 hp. I’m around 525 and that is fine.
What direction do you DE track folks suggest ?
1. 97.2 / GT2 RS intercoolers: a good option. I called and they don’t have hoses and I’m told a lot of custom work.
2. FVD: supposedly completely plug and play with hoses that will connect to OEM y pipe. They include temperature resistant coating .

Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
Markski

Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Sveach... thanks for your reply and suggestion..
I will look into this intercooler option. I'm not sure if this is just a referral or you have installed this product.
I’m looking for personal experience as well. If so please tell me your install experience This is a expensive item/selection and want to make the right choice for product, install and support
Curious How did the install go using these intercoolers
1. I understand you have to trim the plastic. No big deal… Did the hose fit over & use hose clamps for both the intercooler as well as the Y pipe connections ?
2. did they have the thermal coating ?
3. what was your experience after end of day track DE event ?

4. I’m sure Temps are low using any of the quality intercoolers between 550 and 650 hp range.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Sveach... thanks for your reply and suggestion..
I will look into this intercooler option. I'm not sure if this is just a referral or you have installed this product.
I’m looking for personal experience as well. If so please tell me your install experience This is a expensive item/selection and want to make the right choice for product, install and support
Curious How did the install go using these intercoolers
1. I understand you have to trim the plastic. No big deal… Did the hose fit over & use hose clamps for both the intercooler as well as the Y pipe connections ?
2. did they have the thermal coating ?
3. In some cases i have seen folks re use the "tabs" to lock both sides together. How did this go ?
4. what was your experience after end of day track DE event ?

5. I’m sure Temps are low using any of the quality intercoolers between 550 and 650 hp range.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Sveach756 is on a distinguished road
I did an extensive amount of forum research which landed me between markskitunimg, SRM, or 997.2 coolers you mentioned above. The 997 intercoolers work well and benefit over the others in the terms of weight but lack an efficient heat sink so require semi constant air.

I ended up with markski intercoolers after getting his tune and being very impressed with his customer service. I have billet k16 turbos, tune, markski flexible turbo inlet tubing and his intercoolers.

The markski intercoolers installed without significant issue and are almost plug and play minus the trimming of the stock duct lip you mentioned above. When you order markski offers you an oem compatible inlet/outlet or one for aftermarket piping as they're built to order. I don't think anyone other than do88 offers thermal coating and that's rumored to be BS to offset from crappy Chinese cores vs betterbell and plate cores.

I don't have any track related logs but these intercoolers keep up great against central/south Texas summers and I run a markski tune at a max of 1.3 bar based off logs I sent him.

Pwdrhound has a lot of this information posted here and on rennlist. Give the tuners a call and chat them up, then decide who you want to go with. I wasted some money on a set of intercoolers that weren't up to par and didn't want to do that again so I went with a trusted name.

Hope that helps
Shaw

Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
If you're looking for ease of installation, I'd check out 996 Turbo Clubsport Intercoolers. Designed to be a direct replacement for OEM and features a 33% larger core than OEM that flows 36-49% more air as well and includes silicone boost hoses.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-996...coolers-evoms/

Feel free to give me a shout for more info or for forum pricing!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Shaw, thanks for your indepth reply. Also your perspective on "I wasted some money on a set of intercoolers that weren't up to par and didn't want to do that again so I went with a trusted name." This is exactly what i want to avoid.... doing it twice. Once and done takes a little bit of research...thanks for this...Ed

Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
For DE at that power level, 997.2/GT2RS OEM ICs and dont think twice. The fab work required is extremely minor, you are just trimming ducts. I did the install in an evening. They use your OEM IC hoses.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
997.2 for tracking. The others are more drag or highway pull oriented, they tend to heat soak but are more efficient at first for a little while. I have 997.2s and am able to use stock hoses.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM
SeattleTurbo,Brnrdtns... thanks for this. Interesting i thought the same. However needed response/confirmation from one that is involved with alot of DE track days.
"997.2 for tracking. The others are more drag or highway pull oriented, they tend to heat soak but are more efficient at first for a little while"
Then my basic next steps: yes....no ...?
1. Locate 997.2/GT2RS OEM ICs
Are these the ones https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU997TTRSC.html ? ?
or does someone have the right numbers for these IC's 997.2/GT2RS ??? <- Im not sure if the link is the same
2. Remove bumper.
3. Remove and take apart One IC housing side at a time
4. Trim the shroud (top & bottom) to fit IC flush
5. use same "Tabs" to connect plastic halves together. (no need to use zip ties)
6. Re install left IC housing back in place.
7. Re use existing hoses. The original popped a while back. Should i order new ones ? ?
Porsche hose numbers ??? if someone has them ??
8. perform same on right side
9. Install bumper
10. Done
11.... thanks to the folks on this site for helping me.... your the best... see you a Watkins Glen sometime... there is nothing like working on your own ride.. Ed

Old 01-23-2019, 06:25 AM
Akkord29 is on a distinguished road
Those are the right ones Ed. Email incoming with steps which were followed for my 997.2 cooler install as well as hoses purchased.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
do88's ICs for 997 turbo.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:21 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
do88 seems to have a nice product, I've been bugging CSF to get into the 996 market too

Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM
thanks for do88 however it seems there is only one vendor with Tube/Fin design, best for DE and lightweight and that is prosche. Yes more effort to fit but again DE is the objective and I want to avoid heat soak cool down times as well. IMO Hence this is probably why porsche went down this path...

Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
agree tube/fin is probably the better construction for track use, but the Do88 seem to have solid results on repetitive WOT runs, believe the data on their website is compared to 997.1 IC's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers for 2019