996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is ROW suspension enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 PM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Is ROW suspension enough?

I just started driving my stage 2 turbo and Im a little suprised by how soft the ROW suspension feels. Maybe its just because the car has so much power but under hard acceleration the front end really lifts. Also, it feels kinda scary at speed because of the leaning. Am I just not used to this kind of power after driving an e36 m3 with stiff Konis and need to get used to it or am I in need of some coilovers? My other problem is that I am scraping my front lip lightly already and I am worried that coilovers will put me even lower.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I felt the same thing with ROW when I made my first leap into mod-dom with the GT640 kit. Even though the ROW springs were firmer than stock, they were obviously not up to the power. I went with the JIC coilovers (medium springs) and GT3 swaybars. I have the suspension set to about 3/4 firm all around and it actually feels a lot more complient than the ROW springs.

Mike

Old 02-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
I felt the same thing with ROW when I made my first leap into mod-dom with the GT640 kit. Even though the ROW springs were firmer than stock, they were obviously not up to the power. I went with the JIC coilovers (medium springs) and GT3 swaybars. I have the suspension set to about 3/4 firm all around and it actually feels a lot more complient than the ROW springs.

Mike
more compliant?

sorry can you elaborate. thx

Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwm514
I just started driving my stage 2 turbo and Im a little suprised by how soft the ROW suspension feels. Maybe its just because the car has so much power but under hard acceleration the front end really lifts. Also, it feels kinda scary at speed because of the leaning. Am I just not used to this kind of power after driving an e36 m3 with stiff Konis and need to get used to it or am I in need of some coilovers? My other problem is that I am scraping my front lip lightly already and I am worried that coilovers will put me even lower.
\
My god you sound like my twin.. One of my complaints about first getting my car coming from a track setup M3, was how scary it was with little turn in at high speed, tail feels loose up at speed coming into a slight bend!!

But after a while of learning how to drive it its not too bad, i still hate it but that's why im upgrading, other than that the car is perfectly balanced, i love it

Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
\
My god you sound like my twin.. One of my complaints about first getting my car coming from a track setup M3, was how scary it was with little turn in at high speed, tail feels loose up at speed coming into a slight bend!!

But after a while of learning how to drive it its not too bad, i still hate it but that's why im upgrading, other than that the car is perfectly balanced, i love it
Funny,thats exactly how it feels to me, loose and the weight shifting around too much. I was wondering if it was because im not driving very well right now. Well see in a few weeks. M3's are so forgiving!

Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
more compliant?

sorry can you elaborate. thx
Less harsh of a ride, yet significantly flatter in the corners, during acceleration and braking.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Funny,thats exactly how it feels to me, loose and the weight shifting around too much. I was wondering if it was because im not driving very well right now. Well see in a few weeks. M3's are so forgiving!
Yes sir M3's are, the turbo's can be as well.. I have had the back end slide out a few times and a moderate speed pretty much on purpose but the traction regains its slide quickly with the correct counter steer.. Anyway my ROW is coming out this week for some coilovers, i cannot wait.

Goodluck and def. get suspension, after this i couldnt see myself ever getting out of this turbo

Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Yes sir M3's are, the turbo's can be as well.. I have had the back end slide out a few times and a moderate speed pretty much on purpose but the traction regains its slide quickly with the correct counter steer.. Anyway my ROW is coming out this week for some coilovers, i cannot wait.

Goodluck and def. get suspension, after this i couldnt see myself ever getting out of this turbo
Let me know how you like the coilovers.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
I'm thinking that I'd prefer the x73's over the JIC, certainly over the stock or ROW.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by FineProperty
I'm thinking that I'd prefer the x73's over the JIC, certainly over the stock or ROW.
Why? I've never really understood what X73's were.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Why is that?!?!?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 AM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
The X73's don't require corner balance and height adjustment, they are non-adjustable. Sounds crazy, but I live in a place where the mechanics are decent, but none have experience installing anything like a PSS9 setup on a 911tt. There would be separate shops involved in getting corner balance close to right. The JIC's, I've heard, just don't have the quality control of the others.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96088.htm

If Jasclass is reading, he was running these on his 996tt.

Last edited by FineProperty; 02-22-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
The X73's don't require corner balance and height adjustment, they are non-adjustable. Sounds crazy, but I live in a place where the mechanics are decent, but none have experience installing anything like a PSS9 setup on a 911tt. There would be separate shops involved in getting corner balance close to right. The JIC's, I've heard, just don't have the quality control of the others.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96088.htm

If Jasclass is reading, he was running these on his 996tt.
Oh i see, well my shop does all porsche cup cars and so on and set my M3 up with just an insane setup for handling, so i see on your side where your coming from for your situation, but overall a coilover setup would be far better than an OEM sport suspension IMO..

I have the ROW, what's the diff. between ROW and X73?