996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark plugs and more

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
DeeMan007 is infamous around these parts
Question Spark plugs and more

Sorry for the question...the search function is still now working on the forum. I'm looking to get the most "bank for the buck" regarding performance upgrades. I've heard that replacing the spark plugs is important...the OEM Bosch plugs are already in a 2001 TT, are there better spark plugs that should/could be used? Same with the MAF...is it recommended just to replace it with the OEM MAF or is there an aftermarket performance one? I have 25K miles on my TT...Thanks!

Old 02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
I think your plugs are ok until you upgrade the ecu. But yes you should get the Bosch or Beru 6 (Higher heat range I think). I had mine replaced about 7 months ago when I did the GIAC tuning. I am not sure about the MAF, but think OEM is fine until you get into the real high HP numbers, and have heard the Boxster MAF is more robust. If you are not having any problems or CEL, just clean the MAF, I do it once a month as preventive maintenance since I have the "oiled" version of the V-Flow. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Toothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really nice
I just went stage II with my stock plugs, and I get some lugging while accelerating at low RPMs with a higher gear. We were debating changing the plugs and I guess I found out we should have. I had about 18.5k miles on the plugs and I have a 2002.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:35 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DeeMan007
Sorry for the question...the search function is still now working on the forum. I'm looking to get the most "bank for the buck" regarding performance upgrades. I've heard that replacing the spark plugs is important...the OEM Bosch plugs are already in a 2001 TT, are there better spark plugs that should/could be used? Same with the MAF...is it recommended just to replace it with the OEM MAF or is there an aftermarket performance one? I have 25K miles on my TT...Thanks!
Flashing the car is going to get you the most HP per dollar, however since you have a 2001 and with 25K miles on it there's just no way you could flash the car without upgrading/changing your plugs. You likely have the BERU FR5 plugs seeing as it's an 01 and what you need is the Bosch FR6s and your car will gladly handle the added boost and power without having hesitations/mis-fires. There's no need to change your MAF and there's nothing "aftermarket" either in that respect....

Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Toothzilla
I just went stage II with my stock plugs, and I get some lugging while accelerating at low RPMs with a higher gear. We were debating changing the plugs and I guess I found out we should have. I had about 18.5k miles on the plugs and I have a 2002.
I was hoping we'd get away with it but we didn't quite.. Still it's not all bad, you'll have a real shifter soon too!

Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
That's exactly what was happening to my stage 2 car, hesitations throughout the rev band hitting boost, it sucked.. Changed MAF, plugs and it was a night and day difference between power and smoothness

Old 02-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
That's exactly what was happening to my stage 2 car, hesitations throughout the rev band hitting boost, it sucked.. Changed MAF, plugs and it was a night and day difference between power and smoothness
Nod we managed to get a few pulls but then the plugs said "FU guys" and that was that

Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Toothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really nice
Can't wait to the SSK, plugs made it a good excuse to get it done sooner! Hope this doesn't cost me another Louis Vutton.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Can't wait to the SSK, plugs made it a good excuse to get it done sooner! Hope this doesn't cost me another Louis Vutton.
ROFL... Only but the best for her eh? Do you know what I had to buy my wife just to get my GTR brakes? I had to get 13 Apex Locator's-worth of pressies for all 12 of her nephews. Dammit!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
What in the hell is a "pressies"? Maybe I don't want to know.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Nod we managed to get a few pulls but then the plugs said "FU guys" and that was that
LOLLLLLLL

Old 02-24-2006, 12:23 AM
What in the hell is a "pressies"? Maybe I don't want to know.
LOL that's English slang for Presents... Dammit you guys always have something naughty on your minds.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Guys, thanks for all of your great insights and humor...I LOVE this forum!

Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Flashing the car is going to get you the most HP per dollar, however since you have a 2001 and with 25K miles on it there's just no way you could flash the car without upgrading/changing your plugs. You likely have the BERU FR5 plugs seeing as it's an 01 and what you need is the Bosch FR6s and your car will gladly handle the added boost and power without having hesitations/mis-fires. There's no need to change your MAF and there's nothing "aftermarket" either in that respect....
Hey Sharkster,
Do you know anyone in Los Angeles that can do what you do?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by DeeMan007
Hey Sharkster,
Do you know anyone in Los Angeles that can do what you do?
Oh for sure LA = Arling/Lucent-land. They'll get it sorted easily for ya!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and more