996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Snapped Front Axle on Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Snapped Front Axle on Dyno

I put my car on a 2 roller (1 front and 1 rear) dynojet this morning. The first warmup/speedo calibration run gave the operator a PSM error and he backed off. We turned PSM OFF and tried a warm up pull which resulted in a snapped front (driver's side) about halfway up the rev range. I thought all I needed was an AWD dyno, but maybe there is something else required?? I don't know any better as I have never dynoed any car before. Anyway, super bummed on what I thought was gonna be a pretty cool day.

Anyone want to weigh in on this and drop some knowledge on your boy? lol.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
That is bizarre. I did not think the viscous coupling could transmit enough torque to snap an axel. I won't even spin the wheels in the rain.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:13 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody has dyno knowledge?

Please help so I don't eff this up again after I replace my axle.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:25 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Some advice I have read regarding dyno for our car is to disconnect the front diff. That is what I did.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:30 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
i've ran on awd dyno with zero issues. Wonder if there was some kind of load resistance they had on the front roller

Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
i've ran on awd dyno with zero issues. Wonder if there was some kind of load resistance they had on the front roller
This is exactly what I think especially bc the PSM error. Do you recall how it was set when you did yours? Or what I should do next time?

The guy mentioned something about 15 load on both rollers to mimic the road but I'm not a dyno operator and have no frame of reference. I got the impression that he was unfamiliar with the platform unfortunately it all came together a little too late!

Last edited by Stebo; 09-28-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I don't unfortunately. I'd remove front drive shaft next go around. I'm RWD now so won't have an issue

Old 09-24-2020, 06:34 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I owned and operated an AWD Mustang dyno for years. May be a silly question but was the front roller disconnected? Was it wheel or RPM speed calibrated? Could have been the load settings. I had tons of AWD 911 turbos spin the rollers with zero issues.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I owned and operated an AWD Mustang dyno for years. May be a silly question but was the front roller disconnected? Was it wheel or RPM speed calibrated? Could have been the load settings. I had tons of AWD 911 turbos spin the rollers with zero issues.

UPDATED:
The front roller was NOT disconnected he had it running at 15% load front and rear. Both rollers were the same: 15%

He wheel speed calibrated it, which is when we got the PSM error. Then on the next run (first actual pull) the axle snapped at midrange.

Should he have totally disconnected the front roller? And just had the dyno on 100% rear? I'd love to give you a call if you've got some time today.

I wasn't planning to go back there,, but I still want to dyno my car. If I can't find a better option nearby, I might just have to go in there and tell him what to do next time.

Last edited by Stebo; 09-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:59 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stebo
The front roller was NOT disconnected he had it running at 15% if I understood him correctly, "to match the output of the drive train" .

He wheel speed calibrated it, which is when we got the PSM error. Then on the next run (first actual pull) the axle snapped at midrange.

Should he have totally disconnected the front roller? And just had the dyno on 100% rear? I'd love to give you a call if you've got some time today.

I wasn't planning to go back there,, but I still want to dyno my car. If I can't find a better option nearby, I might just have to go in there and tell him what to do next time.
He could have disconnected the front roller but not sure how Dynojet works in that regard with the front axle being connected. Do you just want numbers or does the car need tuning? Down here we have NUR performance and 5 bar motorsports that both have dynos.
I'm happy to chat and available most evenings - PM or e-mail me.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM
PM'd!

Im just looking for numbers. I had my car tuned by UWM via remote/logs about a year and half ago. Car runs great. People always ask me how much power and I don't really have an answer other than "supposedly around 500/500..."

Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I have a front axle shaft that I took the stub off at the hub end. The shaft is in great shape. PM me if interested.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by nick49
I have a front axle shaft that I took the stub off at the hub end. The shaft is in great shape. PM me if interested.

I ordered a new genuine one (complete) last week Monday. $577 shipped from CA.

Thanks anyway

Old 11-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Here's the damage. It broke clean right at the neck-down portion of the shaft for the clamp of the inner cv boot. Luckily it didn't even scratch anything else when it let go. No collateral damage!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_145717.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	534419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_145728.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	534420   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_145738.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	534421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_145747.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	534422  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Stebo; 11-21-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:02 PM
weird

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Front Axle on Dyno