996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just finished my biggest DIY ever...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Just finished my biggest DIY ever...

With the weather turning nice in Central Oregon, I was finally was able to enjoy my first ride of the season. I took the car off the lift earlier this week, where it had been for the past 3 months.
I worked on it on and off, just when I felt like it, very relaxing. The car is a 2004 Turbo Cab with hybrid turbos, GT2 intercoolers, FVD flash and Europipe. 45K miles.
While I could afford a newer Turbo, I just love this little cab. After having owned a Panamera Turbo S with PDK, I still feel like the Metzger coupled to a 6 speed is a more exciting set-up.

Tasks completed :
- Sachs 2.5 clutch & new flywheel
- Pinned the coolant hoses at 8 locations
- New coolant expansion tank
- New Engine mounts (RS964)
- New 997TT transmission mounts
- New CV boots on both front axles
- New clutch master cylinder

Overall, a very rewarding DIY which I enjoyed a lot since there was no pressure involved. In addition, I might have saved myself quite some money (cost for this project was about 3K$ in parts).
The main stressful part was this week : taking the car off of the lift and firing it up for the first time. All kinds of thoughts went through my mind as to things I could have forgotten to connect.
3 things went wrong upon startup : first I was spraying fuel all over the engine bay (connection at the fuel filter not tight enough). Then a coolant hose popped off as I was out for my first test ride (lost about 3 gallons of the pink stuff - had to refill and re-bleed). Finally, yesterday one of the hoses between the turbo and intercooler blew off. Simple fix. This afternoon I took it out and was able to put some stress on the new set-up. The car ran like a raped ape and I saw 1.2 bar on the dash. Oh - and the new clutch is amazing, it is actually coupled to the BBI slave cylinder which I had already installed last year.
Mission accomplished, happy as a clam

Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Very nice! I wish I had the room you have for a good shop.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job, garage looks awesome btw. pls post some pics of the setup.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Good looking Cab! Well done on the work.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:28 PM
langer911 will become famous soon enough
WOW Very nice

Old 04-20-2021, 09:14 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! Great job! I'll be undertaking a similar project sometime in the next couple years. Currently waiting for my stock clutch to die and it just won't give up. Then it's upgraded turbos, clutch and pinning the 4 fittings I couldn't easily reach with the engine in the car.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vogz
Awesome! Great job! I'll be undertaking a similar project sometime in the next couple years. Currently waiting for my stock clutch to die and it just won't give up. Then it's upgraded turbos, clutch and pinning the 4 fittings I couldn't easily reach with the engine in the car.
You could also decide to upgrade your turbos first. That will take care of having to wait for the clutch to die

Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 AM
Francesco Macri is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet set up!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:57 PM
jaguartripz is an unknown quantity at this point
This is very nice, buddy. Such a beauty.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:09 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yves
You could also decide to upgrade your turbos first. That will take care of having to wait for the clutch to die
Hahahaha, true!

Old 06-07-2021, 10:50 AM
raceralan is an unknown quantity at this point
Impressive!