996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Maserati gransport v. 996tt v. sl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i like the GranSport. out of the 3 it feels the most exotic since it's Italian. overall it's a good value for the package (except it drops like a rock. find a used one u'll hurt less). in stock form it's as good as it gets. there's not much u can do to the car. i'd rate this car no.1 for the weekend fun, no.2 for daily usability & no.3 for reliability.

the SL is getting old. although the SL600 is fast & u can find a good deal but it's the most boring car of the 3 (not its fault since it never meant to be a ture sports car). can't beat the fact it's a cab when u need it to be. the turbocharged engine will offer u good opinion for aftermarket tuning but u can't do too much on suspension besides lowering it. forget about improving the handling. it's a pig, but very easy to turn it into a topless monster pig. i'd rate this car no.1 for daily usability, no.2 for reliability but the last for fun.

i don't need to tell u how good the 996 Turbo is because others will. the only problem is it will suck u dry sooner or later because there's no end in terms of mods, sorry! i simply can't name any other car that car top the speed or handling of a Turbo while daily usability & reliability are going to be an issue. i rate everything no.1 for tt because looks like it fits ur need the best.

other way to look at it. u want to spend 100k to buy just a car or to buy an experience? to me, owning a Porsche is just like signing up a long journey. along the way u'll learn alot & others will learn alot from u. the experience will turn out to be way worth more than just a car, and only place like this & car like this can offer u that.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 20C4S
i like the GranSport. out of the 3 it feels the most exotic since it's Italian. overall it's a good value for the package (except it drops like a rock. find a used one u'll hurt less). in stock form it's as good as it gets. there's not much u can do to the car. i'd rate this car no.1 for the weekend fun, no.2 for daily usability & no.3 for reliability.

the SL is getting old. although the SL600 is fast & u can find a good deal but it's the most boring car of the 3 (not its fault since it never meant to be a ture sports car). can't beat the fact it's a cab when u need it to be. the turbocharged engine will offer u good opinion for aftermarket tuning but u can't do too much on suspension besides lowering it. forget about improving the handling. it's a pig, but very easy to turn it into a topless monster pig. i'd rate this car no.1 for daily usability, no.2 for reliability but the last for fun.

i don't need to tell u how good the 996 Turbo is because others will. the only problem is it will suck u dry sooner or later because there's no end in terms of mods, sorry! i simply can't name any other car that car top the speed or handling of a Turbo while daily usability & reliability are going to be an issue. i rate everything no.1 for tt because looks like it fits ur need the best.

other way to look at it. u want to spend 100k to buy just a car or to buy an experience? to me, owning a Porsche is just like signing up a long journey. along the way u'll learn alot & others will learn alot from u. the experience will turn out to be way worth more than just a car, and only place like this & car like this can offer u that.
I would have to agree with you on most of that except that I think the 996TT is the most exotic of the 3. Yes, the maserati is exotic but i think the TURBO has the edge on the exotic end as well as all the other great things about it.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
996TT is very blended in LA. GranSport still truns the head since u don't see it everyday. i expect the same in Miami. it's not a true exotic but more exotic than TT in LA.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 AM
willcoxmd will become famous soon enoughwillcoxmd will become famous soon enough
I upgraded my TTx50 to stage 4 (EVO) and its the most exciting thing I've ever driven. Its a daily driver for me and quite docile around town, but drop the hammer and I can't even look at my guages because I'm afraid to take my eyes off the road! Go with the TT

Old 03-30-2006, 12:19 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Arling's review is spot on but I'll add my own impressions. There's very few things that you can/need to do to the Gransport. Other than wheels and a Tubi exhaust, there's precious little after market support for it. Thank God though that it doesn't need much. My Coupe has been very reliable since I've owned it. Nothing went wrong and fit and finish has been solid. I'd prefer the Gransport to my Coupe as it had corrected everything that I thought the Coupe needed. It's pretty fast in it's own right. You'll love the way it sounds, the supplness of the leather, the unique looks and the performance that makes the Gransport my second choice.

The 996 turbo is the jack of all trades and master of most. You'll get a reliable super car that can be driven hard on the track and take you to work the next day. After market support is second to none and you can pretty much count on a number of very good companies that make this car even more awesome than it already is. It's my number one choice.

I can't say anything about the SL. It does nothing for me, except for the crazy SL65. No experience with it as well so maybe someone else can chime in with theirs.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
2001 turbo for $60K... plus $10K and u have 600 hp TT.. thats my choice...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
In my humble opinion: forget the SL, it's a Great car...IF you have other real sports cars in your collection

It would be very easy to say forget the Maserati and buy the Turbo (That's what I would do )
But honestly, go and have a look and test drive both the Gransport and a (modded) Turbo. Decide after that which one is the better car for you!

edit: GT3 would be awesome, but too hardcore for only street use...

Last edited by Kaizu; 03-30-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 AM
SChen is on a distinguished road
Had a Maserati it sucked, got a turbo and love it.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:43 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Depends are you a 60 year old guy looking for a cruiser or do you want a fast sports car that rocks?

Maser and SL are nice but come on dude how old are you?

The tt is the ONLY choice unless you can afford to buy all three!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
My business partner has a Gransport. It is a very nice car to look at, listen to and drive if you are not looking for speed. It really depends on what you are looking for. It will be the slowest of the three you listed but it does have that Italian presence. You will not see very many so it will be more exclusive than the rest. Overall, it is a very nice car, just not a speed demon like you could turn the TT or SL into. Best of luck with your decision............

Old 03-30-2006, 09:50 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
My dad just got an Sl600 and I drove it last weekend and wow is that car fast. With that being said it's a totally different car then the Turbo. It's soo heavy into the corners and really lacks the grip of the turbo. I would take my turbo over an SL anyday, but i don't use it as a daily driver! As a daily the Sl would definitely have my attention. Screw maserati they drop like rocks in depreciation

Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
thebk is on a distinguished road
I appreciate all the honest advice. I will forget the sl because that was more of an afterthought than what I was originally intending to buy. The depreciation of the maserati is a huge factor along with the fact that a updated version (most likely using fiat parts) will be coming in a year or two. As far as the tt, does it make sense to wait a few more months to buy since the 997tt is coming or have the prices basically stabilized for a bit? Id like to buy a car with some mods already done so I can just add to them!!

Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Dude, there are a few steals (996TT's for sale) on this board. I would do it now if I could.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Gabriel will become famous soon enough
THe 996TT seems to be the logical step after owning an M3. I ve like 15k posts in M3 forum and everyone is pretty much upgrading to the 996 Turbo. I love the styling and performance of the Gransport. I think it has the best steering wheel feel than any other car and the sound is really sweet. But maintainance could be a pain in the *** and the gearbox isn't my kind of thing...

Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
MikeR will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by thebk
Hahah it really is....It was funny that I was thinking about the move around Thanksgiving, but did not have time to sell my car and then everywhere I look on the m3forum, people were upgrading to porsche!
Like Martin said.. Do it!!! Go with the TT. Same here, sold M3, around thanksgiving time, and never looked back!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maserati gransport v. 996tt v. sl600