996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Poor man's 2WD conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
and now I'm reviving it. Surely there have to be some 2wd 996 Turbos running around by NOW???

Who has converted to 2wd?
Likes dislikes?
Parts required?
Cost?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Taking the front diff off is not difficult but it creates new problems that require solutions to keep the car safe to drive. I pulled my diff on my GT700 car and took her for a drive. The rears spun through the first two gears and well into third. The front of the car was slightly higher than the rear. The car was very light on the front under high boost.
To solve the traction problem I put some Toyo R888s 315/30/18 on the rear which fixed that issue. The stock coilovers are not adjustable so I bought a PSS10 which again remedied the problem with the suspension.

So the cost for going RWD for me was about $5000. It's still alot less than a GT2 but not an insignificant amount of money and time. For me it was worth it and I would never put the car back to RWD.

Last edited by MBailey; 08-10-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
you mean never go back to AWD?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
you mean never go back to AWD?
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I still need to solve the suspension "issue" associated with going RWD.

BUT, I can't even imagine going back to AWD, the car is really alive now, you can feel she's happier to rev, and not to mention the overall better feeling of thr steering.

You realy need coilovers tho...especially if you have more power than stock.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
Originally Posted by emadelta86
I still need to solve the suspension "issue" associated with going RWD.

BUT, I can't even imagine going back to AWD, the car is really alive now, you can feel she's happier to rev, and not to mention the overall better feeling of thr steering.

You realy need coilovers tho...especially if you have more power than stock.
what "issue" are you regarding to?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
what "issue" are you regarding to?
The front end rises a bit (because you put off weight mostly on the front) and the car "floats" a bit under high acceleration and at high speed (from 120mph you can feel the front floating and you have to correct the trajectory a lot if the road is uneven). You're no more "on rails".

A good cilover setup and good swaybars will erase the issue.