996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I saw a MB yesterday with the Lorinser package, need assistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:45 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
I saw a MB yesterday with the Lorinser package, need assistance

I went by my buddy's BMW dealership and he had just taken in a 2001 CL500 with full Lorinser package. The car had all the exterior enhancements. I had sonme questions as to whether or not some of the below is normal or what the cause may be.
1) Front Lorinser side panels by front wheel were plastic
2) The space between the panels was unusually large especially in the rear
3) The car had 20" rims and the tires seemed like they did not fit completely over the rim. The sidewall was pinched like it was barely hanging on to rim and another huge gap is visable between the rim and rubber.

All in all it almost looked like the car was wrecked and pieced back together. In addition, the tires looked like they were not large enough for the rims on the car. A carfax, should no accidents whatsoever. Does the lorinser package fit together very poorly? Why would someone put tires on the car that appear not to fit? Any thoughts or possible explanation?

Lou

Old 02-10-2004, 11:58 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Lou, I have seen a Sl500 with lorinser package, and it appeared to have large gaps, and incorrect wheel offsets as well. This one had the 5spoke Lorinsers. The only thing that looked good was the rear lip.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
My friend has an 03 E500 Lorinser package, very aggressive look.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Lou, I have seen a Sl500 with lorinser package, and it appeared to have large gaps, and incorrect wheel offsets as well. This one had the 5spoke Lorinsers. The only thing that looked good was the rear lip.
That is exactly how this was. The car looked great from about 10 feet away. Probably the best looking CL I have ever seen. However, close up, it looks like a pieced together vehicle. The wheels were really the biggest concern. The tires didn't fit on the car!! Shank, if you have time like 7pm, we can go over there if you still have interest. Besides, I want you too see the car and tell me what you think.

Lou

Old 02-10-2004, 01:21 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Lou,
Lorinser bodykit is not easy to install. the fitment is not that great but an experienced tech can make it perfect, but it requires time. a normal bodyshop is not gonna do the job right by just slamming the panels on the car.

looks like someone have no clue at all when they put the car together. have u seen the new Lorinser CLK, it looks good!

Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 PM
LSM
Originally posted by 20C4S
Lou,
Lorinser bodykit is not easy to install. the fitment is not that great but an experienced tech can make it perfect, but it requires time. a normal bodyshop is not gonna do the job right by just slamming the panels on the car.

looks like someone have no clue at all when they put the car together. have u seen the new Lorinser CLK, it looks good!
That was my first thought. Must have been some crappy body shop. If you look at the plastic front quarter panels, the paint looks different as well. Still do not understand the wheel thing. I have never seen tires on wheels like that??

Lou

Old 02-10-2004, 04:08 PM
dgussin1 will become famous soon enough
There are 4 or 5 companys that make "knock-off" lorinser kits for about 1/5 the price, chances are you are looking at one of them...As for the wheels, they are probably 20x9.5 or x10 in the rear, and the tires are probably the wrong size(i.e 265/30), you should have 285/30 in the back, and in the front 20x9 or x 8.5 with 255/35.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:11 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Lou have your buddy go to Custom Cars Unlimited (www.customcarsunlimited.com) they can fix those ugly gaps, and finish of the plastic.

Ryan

Lou - Possibly can make it, can you give me a call at the office number I left on your vm. Thanks

Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
Yeah, it is pretty clear the installer was not experienced with the kit. An experienced body man will make it appear almost flawless. As far as the wheels go, they seem to have a hard time finding tires for these odd sized rims so they make due with what they can get. Usually this leads to a smaller then desired tire on the rim that looks like crap, not too mention a rashed rim within two weeks!