996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Miss firing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Miss firing question

Hi guys,
I'm new to this board and my '03 TT (650 miles to date) and was wondering if anyone had had this problem:

I was justing going out for dinner and had covered about 2 miles when the engine stalled (I thought I may have stalled it).

On re-starting it and attempting to accelerate onto a freeway I experienced a miss firing at anything more than light throttle. Made getting onto the freeway interesting !

Under heavyish load in higher gear the problem got worse.
Luckily I was within a mile of the dealership and manage to limp to the service dept - which although it was closed was able to arrange a hire car loaner.

Interestingly leaving it parked for 5-10 mins at the dealership then driving it again to their service lot, the problem was not as bad - engine had cooled down ?

I suspect a bad HT coil, but no check engine light came on. Hoping the ECU has logged something.

Doubtless Porsche & the dealer will sort it out :-)

Old 08-03-2003, 12:31 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Just wondering did you get a chance to look at the boost gauge whilst this was happening? I've experienced something that felt similair one during a cold cold winter morning but that was just a fuel cut...

Old 08-03-2003, 12:41 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Coil pacs have been an issue. They are interesting in design as a faulty one will not always throw a code. Make sure your boost is not hitting 1.3. That would be the feeling of the throttle body closeing for saftey. Lastly the MAF failing will do this then throw a code.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 08-03-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:21 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Boost was hitting about 0.2 to 0.3 bar at

3000 rpm approx - didn't want to rev it any higher than that as it was running so rough and feared for the engine.

FYI I had a coil fail on my '02 996 cab with similar mis-firing - it eventually resulted in a CE light.

Maybe may TT would have also lit up the CEL had I driven it much further.

Anyway, here hoping it's just an HT coil and nothing more serious.

Boy do I dislike individual HT coils mounted over the plugs, I had one boat load of trouble with them during the 95 -95 CART racing season when I was working for Cosworth, cost us more than one chance of being in the prize money !

Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 AM
MacedoMS is on a distinguished road
My dealer has several MAF's on hand if that gives you any insight on the amount of problems Porsche is having with these items. If you have an aftermarket oiled air filter in the car I bet they will try to blame cause of failure on that item which I find laughable since these components fail at the drop of a hat on stock filtered cars.

Old 08-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Miss fire update....

Turns out it wasn't an HT coil after all, but sure did feel like one.

Transpires it was a problem with a fuel line attached to the internal fuel pump which would not stay locked in place.

New fuel pump and lines fitted.

No faults recorded by OBD II.

Apparently not the first time this problem has occured - according to the SA.

All ok now :-)