996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good upgrade to the Bose Stereo System...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Brucem
Where do you live?
check out www.signatureaudiousa.com if you live SW
or check out http://www.benchmarkmotoring.com/ for PNW
Reus is great for Cali people... always heard good stuff about them

both of them are two of the best shops in the country at high end cars and high end audio.. alot of people ship thier cars to them to have it done right
I'm in boston

Old 01-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by PRS29
For a 2002 996 Turbo with the Bose system... is there a good head unit to replace the original with? Something for ipod and/or satellite radio? I am just looking for the headunit. Not looking to replace anything else. Thanks.
I've been doing a bit of researching. Pioneer seems to be one of the best

They have 7" touchscreens that are IPOD, Sirius, GPS, DVD enabled

Thats your best bet

Check out their website.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't know what is a good replacement for the stock subwoofer.

I want to get something much better but doesn't weigh much more than the stock one. something that can fit in the same place as the stock box.

Also want to get an amp that's compact enough to hide but sounds good enough to really be noticable...

Are there any turbo audio vets around at all

Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 PM
ReillyS is on a distinguished road
If you feel like Bringing the car to NJ I can do the upgrade for you. I have done a few upgrades on 996. If you want to change the radio there a few options. To get the most out of the stereo we always recommend changing all of the speakers. JL Audio makes a Nice 3 way system for the front and we fiberglass a sub enclosure for the rear deck or for the passenger side of the console(similar to the Cabs. w/ Bose)

Old 02-15-2007, 10:58 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ramone
I've been doing a bit of researching. Pioneer seems to be one of the best

They have 7" touchscreens that are IPOD, Sirius, GPS, DVD enabled

Thats your best bet

Check out their website.

Do you have a specific model? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 PM
that would be a pioneer Avic-Z1 we have installed a few it is nice I personally like the Alpine Iva-W200 better

Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ReillyS
that would be a pioneer Avic-Z1 we have installed a few it is nice I personally like the Alpine Iva-W200 better
Both seem to be double-din. There is no navigation option in the car. So looking for a normal side headunit, that will provide satellite radio... along with ipod compatibility.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
If you are just looking for a goos AM/FM/CD stereo that will give you Ipod ans Sat. check out the Alpine CDA-9857

Old 04-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Flatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to install a Pioneer DPh DA120 to a BOSE equipped 997?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM
g-50cab is an unknown quantity at this point
#1 the Bose speakers are crap = #2 you have to rewire the car if you have the Most fiber system. yes it's a lot of work - yes it's a pain in the *** - But definitely worth it.

I replaced speakers with Alpine units

I replaced the AMP with a Alpine PDX- V9
https://cai-store.com/collections/fr...-amplifier-kit

I traded the single din for a double din
Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4

with Apple car play - which in my opinion, should be in every vehicle.

Sounds excellent now - phone works great - navigation -

Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PRS29
For a 2002 996 Turbo with the Bose system... is there a good head unit to replace the original with? Something for ipod and/or satellite radio? I am just looking for the headunit. Not looking to replace anything else. Thanks.
I have a 2002 886 Turbo with Bose (no highs? no lows? Must be Bose!)

I put in an Alpine CDE-HD149BT (or more specifically had Del Rey Customs do it). Pretty happy with the unit. I will get around to replacing the drivers in the stock speaker housings next... then get a better amp.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by g-50cab
#1 the Bose speakers are crap = #2 you have to rewire the car if you have the Most fiber system. yes it's a lot of work - yes it's a pain in the *** - But definitely worth it.

I replaced speakers with Alpine units

I replaced the AMP with a Alpine PDX- V9
https://cai-store.com/collections/fr...-amplifier-kit

I traded the single din for a double din
Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4

with Apple car play - which in my opinion, should be in every vehicle.

Sounds excellent now - phone works great - navigation -
Rewire the car is not totally true. Last summer I replaced the head unit and amp in my 03. When people told me I needed to rewire the whole car I thought that meant EVERYTHING including speaker wires. The speaker wire is just normal speaker wire. The only fiber optic connection is from the head unit to the amp so really the only thing the MOST system precludes you from doing is changing the head unit or amp individually. You need to swap both.

I also run the Pioneer AppRadio 4 and mostly love it. I wish it had a dial for volume instead of the touch buttons, but functionality is great. I went with a sound stream 5-channel amp and just replaced the dash speakers with some JBLs. I wasn't looking for crazy good sound. I just wanted more modern functionality. Though I was pleasantly surprised with the sound. I might eventually change out the factory BOSE subs, but for now it honestly sounds pretty good and the JBL speakers in the dash have great clarity.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
^ Pioneer AppRadio 4 sucks Vogz, maybe you should have went with the Sony XAV-AX100

Originally Posted by techweenie
I have a 2002 886 Turbo with Bose (no highs? no lows? Must be Bose!)

I put in an Alpine CDE-HD149BT (or more specifically had Del Rey Customs do it). Pretty happy with the unit. I will get around to replacing the drivers in the stock speaker housings next... then get a better amp.
Try replacing the the amp first if you already have a different HU. I did radio and amp only and made world of difference with stock Bose speakers.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
^ Pioneer AppRadio 4 sucks Vogz, maybe you should have went with the Sony XAV-AX100

Try replacing the the amp first if you already have a different HU. I did radio and amp only and made world of difference with stock Bose speakers.
Thank you! Any specific model recommendations?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by techweenie
Thank you! Any specific model recommendations?
I didn't want to spend a fortune on audio, just wanted something better then stock (plus my oem amp has 2 blown channels), Vogz recommended Soundstream PN5.640D Picasso Nano and I went with that one. Very satisfied with this little amp. I run the 5th channel to the oem sub box, channel 1&2 to the front dash speakers, channel 3&4 to the rear speakers, and door speakers go directly to the HU.

Depending on your budget, you can go with a nice Alpine or JL Audio amp but those were way more then I was willing to spend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good upgrade to the Bose Stereo System...?