996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Kevin,

I guess I'll get my chance in a month or so to see how hard these babies really are for getting any consistency at the strip. I'm used to a 3-speed Lenco and a two-stage rpm limiter for very consistent launches. Well, I was used to it in 1984. :-) Never tried to launch ANY Porsche, much less a tt at the drag strip. Going to go once anyway, just to get some numbers.

From all I read, I'll really have my work cut out for me with a tt. Do you back into the water box and really get a good smoking burn-out in second gear before you go to the line? I would suspect that any tire you choose needs some good heat-build before going to the line.
NO WATER BOX ON STREET TIRES!!! Al, just a quick burnout to clean them off and your good to go. My sweet spot was a 2800rpm launch or thereabouts. I did try a one off banzai 5K launch it was a waste of time and clutch!! Under 3K should work. BTW, most of my 200+ passes at the 1/4 were with Turbo Buicks with automatics so consistency was never much of an issue. Good luck and make sure the Pbox is in there when you run. Kevin

Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Kevin,

I guess I'll get my chance in a month or so to see how hard these babies really are for getting any consistency at the strip. I'm used to a 3-speed Lenco and a two-stage rpm limiter for very consistent launches. Well, I was used to it in 1984. :-) Never tried to launch ANY Porsche, much less a tt at the drag strip. Going to go once anyway, just to get some numbers.

From all I read, I'll really have my work cut out for me with a tt. Do you back into the water box and really get a good smoking burn-out in second gear before you go to the line? I would suspect that any tire you choose needs some good heat-build before going to the line.
Al you have to let me know when you are heading to the drag strip I want to be there when you run the car.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi D,

I thought we could both go up to Commerce on a Friday evening for one of their "test and tune" events. I understand they do give time slips. Maye we could video each other. I'll definitely let you know when I plan to go.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Hi D,

I thought we could both go up to Commerce on a Friday evening for one of their "test and tune" events. I understand they do give time slips. Maye we could video each other. I'll definitely let you know when I plan to go.
the problem with commerce is that you dont get many runs in. They are usually REALLY crowded, but I'm only 20 mins away here so it's cool. I'll bring the camera.

Yeah that would be great,

Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KPG
NO WATER BOX ON STREET TIRES!!! Al, just a quick burnout to clean them off and your good to go. My sweet spot was a 2800rpm launch or thereabouts. I did try a one off banzai 5K launch it was a waste of time and clutch!! Under 3K should work. BTW, most of my 200+ passes at the 1/4 were with Turbo Buicks with automatics so consistency was never much of an issue. Good luck and make sure the Pbox is in there when you run. Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about that. Too used to slicks.
I will carry the P-Box and send you the data. I am having a hell of a time getting my software to do what I want it to. Me thinks the manual leaves a litle to be desired. I tried to lay out the boundaries of an imaginary track and was unable to manipulate the data in the program.

BTW, I'm still searching for a fairly level road to use for the 60-130 runs. If the car runs in the sixes, which I hope it will, about how long a piece of road will I need?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about that. Too used to slicks.
I will carry the P-Box and send you the data. I am having a hell of a time getting my software to do what I want it to. Me thinks the manual leaves a litle to be desired. I tried to lay out the boundaries of an imaginary track and was unable to manipulate the data in the program.

BTW, I'm still searching for a fairly level road to use for the 60-130 runs. If the car runs in the sixes, which I hope it will, about how long a piece of road will I need?
Al, less than 2 tenths of a mile should cover it, but here is some distance data from the 60-130 thread.Hope it helps. The beauty of a really fast car is you are in the danger zone with the local Police that much less than a slower car....Kevin
DMK 6.15sec in 880ft
Markski 6.44 in 917ft
RennTech 6.45 in 926ft
KPG 7.93 in 1166ft

Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 AM
We got unstickied for some reason but we'll continue with the updates so keep the info coming.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I just weighed the hollow spokes (pirellis) I bought vs Techarts GTS (PS2's) and it was 8lbs per rear wheel and 10lbs per front wheel less for the hollow spokes.

Techarts:
Fronts- 50 lbs
Rears-60lbs

Hollows:
Fronts - 40lbs
Rears - 52lbs

lost 36lbs unsprung just doing this

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Since different tires may also have something to do with it. There are huge differences between brands. And if you go to track tires they can be 5 pounds apiece lighter!!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Since different tires may also have something to do with it. There are huge differences between brands. And if you go to track tires they can be 5 pounds apiece lighter!!
Im thinking I may keep the Hollows on for a while, what tires are great for street and track? I only drive on the weekends in the turbo so miles are not a concern. I'm thinking MPSC or maybe RA1's

My car should be at 3364 right now with 1/4 tank
next is:

LWFW
Clutch Acutator
GT3 Seats
Front Bumper Support

Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
At the power level the TT's are, does 20-30lbs of unsprung weight make a difference? I mean on a couple hundred HP car it sure does but it seems like with 500hp, that much unsprung weight wouldnt feel any different. Would it?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
At the power level the TT's are, does 20-30lbs of unsprung weight make a difference? I mean on a couple hundred HP car it sure does but it seems like with 500hp, that much unsprung weight wouldnt feel any different. Would it?
Yes when it comes to the wheels and suspension because unsprung wieght (brakes,wheels etc) hurts deceleration and acceleration more than the rest of the car. Any any person who's paying attention to their cars weight will tell you that you lose a little here, a little there to get to a lot of lost weight.

I gained 3 mph (1/4 mile) in my car by taking out a 175 lb passenger. You will see real results for every 100 lbs of sprung weight and every 20 lbs of unsprung weight. And the handling is greatly improved. Weight really takes a toll when you make turns

Old 03-08-2007, 05:03 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Optima Red Top battery = 39.4lbs
Another light weight battery to consider.
Interstate MT-42 = 25.9lbs 2yr replacement 75month prorate
$71.95 + tax 26lbs + savings over stock and no need of a daily maintainer.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
dont be a wimp...here ya go......

Old 03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Tom, I have a PC680 as well. Only thing is I may take a overnight trip
and not be able to use a maintainer. And if I am going to carry jumper
cables...it defeats the purpose. I will however use it on track days for
the additional 11lbs savings. + I wanted to spare the chance of embarrasement
asking someone for a jump for my Porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List