996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gas Filler problem (no joke)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Gas Filler problem (no joke)

I would have never believed this if it didnt happen to me. I have an '01 with 25k miles. Been driving it quite often the last couple of weeks, today I went to fill it up as the low fuel warning came on, I wasnt able to put more than a half gallon in when it started over flowing and ther pump clicked off. I tried a few more times and still was unable to put any more fuel in. I chalked it up as a goofy gas station and went to the next one where I had the same problem.

WTF???

Luckily I was on my way to see Hans at RUF anyway and was a few miles away. They will be looking at it the next few days, but has anyone else seen anything like this???

Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
On Rennlist.com there is a thread titled "Car sprayed gas" (sorry, I can only link to rennlist.com, but not the thread itself) that describes this most commonly being due to a blown "E 6" fuse.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Didnt even think electrical when trying to fill the gas tank...is there a electro-mechanical valve in the filler neck?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I had same problem,
there is a fuse to check (so search on Rennlist 996TT forum)
there are 2 alternatives to towing your car.
a) push a long metal rod down to open this check valve while you
are filling the tank.
b) unscrew large plastic cap on top of your actual gas tank (in trunk)
and fill it there. Be careful with all cables that go into tank.

MK

Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
chinitowest has a spectacular aura aboutchinitowest has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I had same problem,
there is a fuse to check (so search on Rennlist 996TT forum)
there are 2 alternatives to towing your car.
a) push a long metal rod down to open this check valve while you
are filling the tank.
b) unscrew large plastic cap on top of your actual gas tank (in trunk)
and fill it there. Be careful with all cables that go into tank.

MK

What Marty said!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
went and got some more info for ya!....post from somewhere else.....

Fuse E-6 was blown. This fuse powers the vapor control solenoid. You can actually hear the solenoid when you open the gas fill flap. Apparently this fuse is also the UnSwitched side of the cell phone connector that everyone uses to get power to after market accessories. The switched side of the cell phone connector, which I use for a navigation system is on another fuse. E-7 or 8.

For anyone else with this problem, I could not even get fuel in using a 1 gallon hand can.

this was the original problem...
I have a 2003 C4S tiptronic. Suddenly, I can not pump any fuel into the tank. It splashes back out. Is there some type of solenoid on a vent that would prevent fuel being pumped in?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
JohnnyBeatles is on a distinguished road
Well thank you. I thought I was crazy. Its happened to me as well...I thought it was the pump or me being stupid.....
Wierd thing is that it comes and goes....
anyway...thanks
JB

Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
when I did mine I couldnt more than a spoonful in at a time,
I thought I was going insane (I have). but you have options
until it is figured out. My fuse (the one Tom said) was blown even
though it didnt look like it, replace it anyway to be sure.

MK

Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
when I did mine I couldnt more than a spoonful in at a time,
I thought I was going insane (I have). but you have options
until it is figured out. My fuse (the one Tom said) was blown even
though it didnt look like it, replace it anyway to be sure.

MK
I had the same problem except the fuse was good and the wiring to the valve was bad.They had to drop the front suspension and tank to fix.Also replaced the valve.It was covered under warranty as it happened at 1500 miles.It was a $3000 job at the dealer under warranty!I hope it is just a fuse for your sake.Good luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
I had the same problem except the fuse was good and the wiring to the valve was bad.They had to drop the front suspension and tank to fix.Also replaced the valve.It was covered under warranty as it happened at 1500 miles.It was a $3000 job at the dealer under warranty!I hope it is just a fuse for your sake.Good luck!
OMG!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
This valve you speak of is the most common one i've seen have to get replaced. Not bad on most cars, a real pain on a 996TT, as it is between the gas tank and the fender on the inside. Fuel tank most be lowered and all front suspension lowered, diff removed. Expensive case on this car, hope it's under warranty for ya.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Marty, Tom, Joe et al...

Thank you! Everything seems to be working fine now. If it happened once, probably will happen again, this time I am ready for it :-)

Damn I love this forum!

Tom, Marty, Joe, Alpha +1

Anders

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 02-03-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deepblue
Marty, Tom, Joe et al...

Thank you! Everything seems to be working fine now. If it happened once, probably will happen again, this time I am ready for it :-)

Damn I love this forum!

Tom, Marty, Joe, Alpha +1

Anders
Happy everything worked out for you.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
phxturbo is on a distinguished road
The pump shuts off at 3/4 tank on mine and I a gas smell in the cab....could it be the same problem?

02TT

Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I met some others today for coffee, couple of them also mentioned having the same problem. One said the pump shut off several times but eventually was able to fill the tank, another mentioned a complete fuel system rebuild. Doesnt sound like isolated events. Anyone have any PCNA contacts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Filler problem (no joke)