996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 turbo upgrade options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
K24 turbo upgrade options

Let me begin by saying that this project is already way beyond budget.

What are my options using low mileage (~15K) stock K24s as a starting point. I really I want more better throttle response (less lag), mid-range torque, hopefully more top end and minimal cost. I laso want to try and keep my K24 GIAC program..

I don't expect you to quote $$ for a shop (unless you are one), but I would love an estimate. I have stock X50 ICs with stock hoses that are doing just fine thank you. I currently boost in the 1,1-1.2 BAR range, expect in 5-6 gear (almost never drive that fast), where I see 1.3 BAR for a second or two before going back down to 1.2.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
you want the magic turbo that does not exist... at a "minimal cost"...

lag, throttle response, etc. is not up to the "kind' or type" of turbo you put on... it's about the system design.
I know for a fact that Scott's k24/18gs were less laggy then the stock K24s but thats with the whole system in place. ( clutch, ICs, bigger TB, custom Y pipe 3".... etc...)...

I dont really want to plug the k24/18gs... dont get me wrong... Im just trying to show an example that picking a turbo and turbo only that is "less laggy(apparently) is not the answer to ur question... ist about the whole system.
I dont think u have any options unless u upgrade to the gt640 or gt700 but liek any HP it comes at a price.
If u dont have the upgraded Wgs... get them and save urself thousands of dollars...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
How about zero clearance option? Won't that do all of the above? Maybe with different blades? I'm not asking for a 100Hp boost. Just less lag a little more flow shoudl do it?

Got the wastegates already.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:29 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Call Sharkey and Kevin @ UMW since you are in California and see
what they come up with.

Good Luck,

Marty K.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:06 AM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Call Kevin, stage 3A will run with Gt700 for less money!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
you want the magic turbo that does not exist... at a "minimal cost"...
I agree with Mark..you have yourself cornered with the your expectations ie: low cost, more top end and less low end lag...It may be more cost effective in the long run to look at a kit. They will be a fair amount of money, but the gains will be significant. Good luck, Kevin

Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
I agree with Mark..you have yourself cornered with the your expectations ie: low cost, more top end and less low end lag...It may be more cost effective in the long run to look at a kit. They will be a fair amount of money, but the gains will be significant. Good luck, Kevin
+1 on that one...

click to view

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
I would dump your k24's and get some zero clearance hybrid k16/24's for same if not mor epower and way less lag. THats if you want to go the cheap route. You can keep all your other mods and just have less lag and same amount of power. Probably wont cost much once you sell the k24's. Talk to Kevin. I in NO way support his product but many people do, so it seems like a logical suggestion.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
I was in the same boat a few months ago. After talking with some fellow forum members and doing some research I was able to pick a package that was cost effective, scalable and gave me the attributes I was looking for in a K24 based turbo. I think regardless of the tuner you choose, hybrids are probably what you are going to end up with.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Ari-

If you want to hook up this weekend you can drive in my car. We have similar HP,, but way different feel.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
In the original thread he said that he wants to keep his giac stage 3 ecu.... so going other tuners is out of the question... so the logical solution would be to upgrade with a giac dealer.

Of course there are other tunning options with K24s... but that will force him to start over..
markski

click to view

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Turbo question:

Ah, hell throw on some Garrett GT35R's...

Sorry, all of this snow has made me Punchy today,

we have been shoveling for days!

MK

Old 03-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
In the original thread he said that he wants to keep his giac stage 3 ecu.... so going other tuners is out of the question...
markski
Imagine Auto uses the hybrid k16/24 turbos with the GIAC k24 programming. I had it on my car. You can absolutely use the hybrid k16's with great results.

-Suman

Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
Ari-

If you want to hook up this weekend you can drive in my car. We have similar HP,, but way different feel.
Take TKDalumni up on his offer. I had the same rig. ITs definitly lag less. You agree?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Highhats
Imagine Auto uses the hybrid k16/24 turbos with the GIAC k24 programming. I had it on my car. You can absolutely use the hybrid k16's with great results.

-Suman
I think if he already has the k24s so its useless to loose the money and switch to k16/24s for a few hundred RPMs... if he didnt have any k24s then I would suggest k16/24s...
just my opinion...
markski

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 turbo upgrade options