996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Air conditioning =more horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Air conditioning =more horsepower

One of the mechanics who worked on my car informed me that turning the air conditioning on low actually increases the HP on 996's/GT2's.

The reason is that the fuel line is cooled when the ac is on and therefore the fuel supply is extra cool which results in more hp.

Interesting. Anyone test this claim?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Wow........put the air on HIGH and it should really add the power.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
He is right that the AC does allow the fuel line to pass through a small cooler. The AC does shut off at WOT but the AC line cools the second the throttle comes down off of 100%. So one would think in theory it would add something. What I don't know. From a physics standpoint it makes sense.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:26 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Is this the same on regular TT's?

Last edited by str8blst; 03-03-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the TT and GT2 are the same.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I did not know this but I ALWAYS run my windows up and AIR ON at the
track!! Basking in the comfort of the world's greatest all around sports car!!

MK

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

MK
It sure is a nice way to navgate HP isn't it?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER

MK

Old 03-03-2007, 11:46 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
P.Phd,

On a couple engines I owned on a previous boat I installed chillers past the carbs and superchargers on top of the intake, they were cooled by the circulating water at speed.

Lowering the air/fuel mixture temp augmented the charge, we went from 655hp to 700 hp on the dyno with the same boost.

However I don't know if the effect of cooler fuel only once it is mixed with hot compressed post turbo air is that great and if it would offset the hp drain of the AC compressor.

Is the volume of the cool vaporized fuel enough to affect significantly the hotter compressed air? Just asking I thankfully have no knowledge of PCar engines except running them!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I always have mine on low if the windows are down, just because I've got to have some kind of airflow LOL! It's hot down here in Houston and I'm in a black car!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Well, the Sup Nats are comming up and I want the best runs possible.

I will idle and keep the air on low prior to my 60-130 runs and all the time on the track.

I am going to go w/ the Mich PS2's on the car, which I know will pose traction issues below 100 mph.

Any advice?

Switching from the PS2's to drag radials isn't an option unless someone has drag radials I can borrow/ trade for.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Worth a shot! I like the theory.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
PS2's should work good honestly. I've seen 1000+rwhp Vipers go low 10s on them, almost 9s on them. My brother said he could go a 1.8 60ft on them on his Vette (on 19s).

Are your Fikse's 18s Sean? I can't remember.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 PM
jimq is on a distinguished road
I havent figured out how to turn the darn air off in mine yet

Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Chris,

Yes they are 18's. Should I brake boost in 4th (holding the speed at 59mph) then launch for the best 60-130 time, or should I start in 3rd in the naturally meaty boost/rpm range?

The tires, even if warmed up, spin in third.

OT: I am picking up my Cayenne TT tomorrow: My wife and I went to the hospital yesterday and found out (5 months preggo) that we are having a boy!

The Ultrasound tech highlighted his ********* (wench said "see those tiny things") and I said "must be from your side of the family, sweetie."

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 03-03-2007 at 12:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning =more horsepower