996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you 800 plus RWD tt's get traction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
So presuming you wanted to drag race, go to the road course and have good wet weather traction you could be looking at 3 different sets of tires? Yikes!
No, the R-Compounds will cover you for drag racing and road courses (Cleve pulled a 1.6 60' with R-Compounds on his GT700 GT2).

But ya...the rain is whole different subject.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:59 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I bought brand-new MPSC's last year, installed them on my car, learned how long they take to warm up on the street (by spinning my tires at over 70 mph on the freeway)...and then sold them 4 days later. I'll never buy those pieces of crap again.
Had the same prob on my m3, but the newer ones are suppose to be ALOT better! I myself think the Toyo RA1's are the best of both worlds and AMAZING for street and track

Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
I never spun DR's at 580 rwhp in my TT. I did spin them at 650+ rwhp in my Supra, but it was front-weight biased.

DR's are quite sticky. There are guys that have run 7's and 8's with them. The record on DR's is 7.4 @ 197 mph. Wiith the rear-weight bias, I don't think any of the big power TT's that are currently on the streets will spin DR's enough to need a progressive system. AWD or RWD. Sticky R-compounds (Nittos and Toyos) are almost just as good in a straight line, but they handle far better since they are a true roadcourse tire.

But I'll be able to tell you for sure in about 2 weeks, since I'll be using DR's at the track (not slicks), and R-Compounds on the street.
Sure people run 7 second passes with drag radials. But not the drag radials you can fit under a 996!

The largest slick you could fit under a 996 would be a 26"x10" and that's never going to hold 800+ rwhp, I don't care how much rear weight bias you have.

R compound rubber is terrible for the drag strip. It provides superior stickiness compared to a street radial, but the sidewalls are very hard, designed for cornering forces, and therefore give a terrible launch at a drag strip (compared to DRs or slicks).

Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
R compound rubber is terrible for the drag strip. It provides superior stickiness compared to a street radial, but the sidewalls are very hard, designed for cornering forces, and therefore give a terrible launch at a drag strip (compared to DRs or slicks).
Well, like I posted earlier Kenny, a guy on here nailed a 1.6 60' on R-Compounds in his 600 rwhp GT2 without heating the tires up first (ran a 10.9 @ 134). A 1.6 isn't breaking any records, but it's plenty quick. It really comes down to which R-Compound you are using. Some are stickier than others.

I'll be using "skinny" 295/35 BFG drag radials at the dragstrip in about 2 weeks...and I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-18-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:22 PM
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Well, like I posted earlier Kenny, a guy on here nailed a 1.6 60' on R-Compounds in his 600 rwhp GT2 without heating the tires up first (ran a 10.9 @ 134). A 1.6 isn't breaking any records, but it's plenty quick. It really comes down to which R-Compound you are using. Some are stickier than others.

I'll be using "skinny" 295/35 BFG drag radials at the dragstrip in about 2 weeks...and I'll let you know how it goes.
If you're happy with a 1.6x short time and 800+ rwhp then skies are blue!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
If you're happy with a 1.6x short time and 800+ rwhp then skies are blue!
I still love you, Kenny. Even when you're sarcastic.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 AM
I still love you, Kenny. Even when you're sarcastic.
Hehehe :-)