996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find out...

In a nutshell:

A magazine conducted a very interesting test. They compared the maximum loads -in lbs- that 18 different brand name synthetic and semi-synthetic oils could withstand before braking down. The data of the test demonstrates long term wear in a very short period of time.

The results? Royal Purple, Penrite and Valvoline did the best.

Mobile 1 and Redline were among the worst.

I wish they would've tested Amsoil.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-03-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thats why I have been using Valvoline VR1 racing in my engine
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
From the looks of the test, RP might be the way to go. RP R51 (now called XPR 20W-50) has a pressure resistance of 295,000+ psi. The Valvoline Durablend is only 23,000 psi. Not sure what the VR1 is...but I can't imagine it's as high as the RP. The RP XPR is very expensive, though. Around $13.00 per quart.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-03-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
VR-1 racing Valvoline is what we run.... 20-50 ... Todd really likes it... something about an agent that protects the engine.... most others oils do not have that agent... not even the synthetic. I forgot what it's called.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
VR-1 racing Valvoline is what we run.... 20-50 ... Todd really likes it...
I know. I just sent him the link so he can take a look. Valvoline did very well, so I don't think you can go wrong with them at all.

The results I find most disturbing are those for Mobile-1 and Redline. Many, many people use those oils in their cars.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
OK, I'll bite...and play devil's advocate...first the way the samples were taken can hardly be described as representative samples, second I saw no report on the measurement system uncertainty or precision. The article does not discuss if any test with the same lubricant was repeated. Third, unforunately the test was described as an accelerated life test, but using what reliability model for the test was not discussed (so does this have any relationship with reality)? I also don't care if it is the accepted test as I know many FDA, FAA, DoD, etc. measurement systems that are accepted and are random number generators. Of course they do mention that the test is only evaluating one characteristic...there are others important for our cars...like ability to cool or transfer heat energy.

Scott this is by no means an attack on you and I do thank you for posting...I guess that's what makes these forums informative.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
F1 and Indy engines....

Back in the late 90's when I was working in the UK for Ford Cosworth the only engine oil used in either F1 or Indy engines was Mobil 1 full synthetic (can't recall the weight).
A lot of testing, analysis & research was carried out before Mobil 1 was selected for the F1 V10 engine revving to 18,000 rpm plus or the turbo charged Indy V8 revving to 13,000 rpm.
Maybe oil technology has moved on a bit since then and other brands might be better - but I'm sticking with tried and tested Mobil 1 :-)

Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Wross - I'm not a statistician. But I can sure tell a 1 inch sqaure gash in metal from a 1 cm square one. Thanks, though.

IRT to Mobile-1; the previous owner used to run it in my car before I purchased it. I changed the oil as soon as I got the car, but was still using the same viscosity Mobile-1 that he had been using. I was tracking my oil usage meticulously, and noticed that I was burning about a quart ever 1k miles or so. As soon as I switched to Amsoil, that number was cut in half. I burned less than a half a quart of Amsoil 5W-40 in the next 1k miles. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-04-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Mobil1 was barely better than dino oil?

at any rate, REDLINE is great IF used in the right application... due to the high lead content (and a few other additives I can't recall) it's a very good high force lubricant. As in gear/tranny lube.

Very interesting comparison none the less, and yes I wish they would have tested amsoil as well.

Shocked MOTUL didn't do well in their tests, but has been pretty well proven as an excellent oil that holds up very very very well in extremely harsh condition. Makes me think there is more to it than just purely a pressure braking point.

I only specifically comment on the Motul because i've used it in bikes and such before and they look amazing when you're doing rebuilds. Maybe it's just sponsor $$$, but thats pretty much all Ducati recommends to be run in their bikes as well.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
That test only measures extreme pressure steel on steel. It may apply to cam wear in a flat tappett American V8 with extremely strong valve springs. It doesn't measure oxidation stability, detergency, deposit formation on the turbo, rings, and combustion chamber, viscosity stability, acid neutralization capacity, evaporation, anti foaming, etc.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Ebaker nailed it. That test was the equivalent of a parlor
trick, as if you'd judge a car by how much it can carry
before breaking something.
Joe

Old 04-04-2007, 04:04 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ebaker
That test only measures extreme pressure steel on steel. It may apply to cam wear in a flat tappett American V8 with extremely strong valve springs. It doesn't measure oxidation stability, detergency, deposit formation on the turbo, rings, and combustion chamber, viscosity stability, acid neutralization capacity, evaporation, anti foaming, etc.
Credit where credit is due...you are exactly right.

there is so much more that goes into a quality oil.

www.bobistheoilguy.com (or BITOG) for all things oil.

Hey, does anyone here run Used Oil Analyses when they change oil so see what YOUR oil is doing in YOUR car based on how YOU drive????

Roughtly $40-50 for the test and expert analysis... I swear by it in my M5. Haven't seen it mentioned here.

A

Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I've always had the best luck with Castrol.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
What!! Mobil 1 is not the BEST?? Who would have thunk it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find out...