996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are your seats comfortable? mine are not!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jimmer23
My seats don't have lumbar support. I'm with you guys that my back kills after any trips more than 3hrs or so. Did any version of the 996 seat come with adjustable lumbar support?
Yes, the stock seats had the option of 'power controls'. This included adjustable lumbar support. But you will still slide right out of the seat in a fast corner - NO SIDE BOLSTERING - This is why I want to fine out if the Cayman seats (same as 997?) can go in a 996. The are fully adjustable - including the side bolsters.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Tom Pepper is on a distinguished road
Talking

I totally agree with all who are in pain because of these seats. My 993 is far more comfortable and supportive in corners than the Turbo. I do not want to sacrifice the heated seats and the memory for different seats. What we need is a fix! Has anyone found a trim shop or upholstery pro with the ability to add, remove, or upgrade the existing seat components.
Would love to hear how you rectified this uncomfortable situation.

If I figure it out, I'll surely give all an update.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Surely they're not tough to unstitch and throw in a foam lumbar support? I can't imagine it would be tremendously expensive. Of course with everything else left to do on the car, this is usually forgotten.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 PM
atl123 is on a distinguished road
I've had a similar problem with my stock seats. Pulled my back trying to brace myself for a fast corner on the street! Needless to say I don't think these will work on the track. The concensus here it seems is for GT3 seats but the one time I tried them they seemed kinda tight. I'm 6'2"/195#/36" waist. Some have mentioned in previous posts that they might come in different sizes but I haven't been able to confirm this. Any recommendations? I hear then Recaro pole positions are even narrower?

BTW, I also have some Corbeau's in my 951 track car that fit great but they're known to be kinda big and I definitely want something nicer than Corbeau's in my 996TT!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
dcoty is on a distinguished road
Ive found my non sport seats with plush leather to be the most confortable (but least supportive) of any seat Ive ever owned. But I do want something with more lateral support (comming from an STi). Can you still fit golf clubs and squeeze the occasional friend back there with GT3 seats? From what Im reading they are more comfortable than I thought...

Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
justdumb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by atl123
The concensus here it seems is for GT3 seats but the one time I tried them they seemed kinda tight. I'm 6'2"/195#/36" waist. Some have mentioned in previous posts that they might come in different sizes but I haven't been able to confirm this. Any recommendations? I hear then Recaro pole positions are even narrower?
Something I discovered just yesterday and have never seen mentioned before: GT3 seats are much more comfortable after being broken in, i.e. sat in a lot. Was the seat you sat in brand new?

I bought two new GT3 seats a few months ago, but only installed the driver's side. It was a tight fit, but now I find it to be tremendously comfortable and supportive. I figured I just got used to it, but after finally installing the passenger seat, it feels like the driver's seat did when it was new.

So, I didn't get used to anything... it got used to me!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
atl123 is on a distinguished road
Good news then. It was another car at my mechanic's shop so don't even know the size of the driver. My daily is an 04 Audi S4, it's leather recaros are probably the best seats I've ever owned. It makes me so disappointed when I get in the 911. Going to the shop Wednesday so maybe I'll try the GT3's again. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
yes..had my GT3 seats installed for ~3weeks...and they just get better and better!! like they are adjusting to my ***!!

and the support on sweepers and hairpins.... well...damn good for non track specific seats!! bolstering could be a little better... but, they are perfect for the daily driver getting in and out!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 AM
cab4kw is on a distinguished road
Wilcoxmd
I have not done a lot of long trip like yours but the trip from here to MaxRpm (3 hours or so) and back, six hours total was a blast. No back pain at all, and I do have low back problems. I can't sit longer than a hour in the stock seat without feeling pain along my paraspinal muscles. I was just driving around all day with my wife and 2 kids in the back and commenting on how comfortable the seats are. I am 6'1 and 175 lb. Good luck in finding the perfect seat.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
I will follow this thread because I am interested in where it goes...I have no problems with my stock seats (luxuries) and I find them comfortable...BUT, I do like the M seats a lot better but am looking around for some sport seats (adjustable style) so I can still get to the rear but still have the sportier wider, bolstered seat for more spirited driving since the stocks SUCK for exactly that...no support, sliding everywhere...you know the drill.

keeping posted....and good luck!

Mike

*edit* something like this is what I would look for...minus all the logos....*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by BMWDEMON; 06-06-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Guys,
I bought a GT2 and drove it from Las Vegas to LA with my brother. It has GT3 leather seats. I thought it would be a killer. It wasn't. Even my picky borher liked them. We are in out 60s and NOT slim and trim and NO problems. I drove it home to NCal and took my wife out for a lunch and about 30 minutes driving each way. [The good part was prepping her by reminding her about riding in the Ruf 3400S prototype when it was stored at my friend's home and she liked them a LOT more than any Porsche sport seat she had been in.] Well, she likes them and doesn't want me to change a thing!!

More background on the general subject. I still have a really special older 930 that I removed the factory sports seats [not "normal" sports seats as they have much more of a pocket and hold you in really well but are terrible for the passenger as they force you to cross your arms or do something as the bolsters are really high]. So, I went on a campaign to find seats that would work for her as well as me. I bought a set of 993 RS "Comfort" seats from UK and thought they would be perfect. They weren't. Much like the standard 996 sport seat without any power. We ended up with slightly modded 87-94 sport seat for driver and standard seat for passenger and both have all power including lumbar and they are wonderful.

My brother has a seat shop in Garden Grove that works on hot rods and they are reworking his idential seats to fit his larger frame and his wife also. Any decent shop can do it.

Good luck and good hunting.

John Rice

Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
nycsurfer is on a distinguished road
Yeah,same thing here ,I found stock seats not very comfortable for a long drive ,sat in my friend's GT3 seats ,and those rock and support my back really well.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
All Mack is on a distinguished road
After a ride in my G Wagen, the TT stockers feel like a Craftmatic adjustable.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Another quick comment. I don't know if all the GT3 type seats have lumbar. My factory seats do. In fact, the entire center sections- top and bottom- pop out for track use. It has what seemed to be to be a rather small lumbar pouch that is held in place [like all the other center bits] with velcro, so it can be adjusted. So far it seems perfect. If you try aftermarket GT3 seats [why do we call them that? They are Clubsport seats to the best of my ability to find out.... whatever] you may discover they do not have the removeable centers and no lumbar. I think the lumber is a key component as I have always been sensitive to this and it makes a big difference on a long drive.
JR

Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Are 997 adaptative sport seats compatible with a 996 TT ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are your seats comfortable? mine are not!