996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to reset Readiness codes for smog check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
MikeR will become famous soon enough
How to reset Readiness codes for smog check

I took my car in for a smog test, and three 'Ready' codes were not set. The battery was recently disconnected. I have searched for Ready codes and found responses in the 993 forums, but not in the 996 forums.

Does anyone have a sequence or has been successfull in reseting them for a 996?

My car has the ECU tuned and an FVD 200 sport exhuast with 200 cell cats.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
ur ecu probably has the O2 sensors disconnected if it's a FVD flash. that is ur problem. Evap, 02 sensors, and one more "readiness" needs to be met b4 u will pass.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
ur ecu probably has the O2 sensors disconnected if it's a FVD flash. that is ur problem. Evap, 02 sensors, and one more "readiness" needs to be met b4 u will pass.
Sorry, forgot to put what software.
It is a Protomotive flash, I will ask Todd.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thats because he has them turned off as well. get a hold of todd ...

click to view

Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
my protomotive ecu passed just fine 2 years ago. if you recently disconnected the battery, you have to put some miles on the car - the ecu needs to encounter most of its driving conditions to make the ecu ready for the smog test.

i never knew there were Readiness codes but i'd bet you just need more miles on the car.

- chuck

Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Mark, I will verify with Todd.

Chuck, I had about 400 miles on the car after the first time I got the Not Ready codes at the Smog station.
I have driven at low rpm for 60+miles at a time, normal highway and city driving. Must need more miles or different driving scenarios. Or my car is just being stubborn.

I then had the car at the dealer for some work, and they must have disconnected the battery this week (the time on the clock was off by a few hours).

Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Yes the car has to go thru a bunch of cycles b4 it shows readiness... but I have a feeling that the ecu has the 02s turned off.

click to view

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes the car has to go thru a bunch of cycles b4 it shows readiness... but I have a feeling that the ecu has the 02s turned off.
Thank you for the responses.
I finally got the Readiness codes set to 'Ready'. First I put the stock software in. Then I found a quite back road, and drove for 20+ minutes,without interruption, at low RPM (1500-1900) in 3rd gear. At about 30mph so there was very little load on the engine.

Passed smog with no problems.

thanks again.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
I recently bought a FVD Stage 4 Ecu from a fellow six speeder.....in his description he mentioned that the o2's were "turned off" in it..so that it could be ran without cats without generating a CEL.......does this mean I won't pass CA smog with it?

Chris

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Turbochris
I recently bought a FVD Stage 4 Ecu from a fellow six speeder.....in his description he mentioned that the o2's were "turned off" in it..so that it could be ran without cats without generating a CEL.......does this mean I won't pass CA smog with it?

Chris
I doubt it. I used an obdII reader from autozone and it showed all the IM codes as OK. I do not know if having the O2 sensor turned off will effect other sensor readings. The tech at the smog station said that I could have 2 sensor in 'Not Ready' state and still pass emissions tests.

The 3 Not ready on my car were

O2, Cat and secondary air.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Chris, if the O2 sensor being turned off effects the other sensors then you probably will not pass smog. These checks are before they actually use the sniffer. These codes are usually at 'Ready' after some period of time of normal driving and you do not have to worry about them.

Like I stated before, the tech at a smog station said I could have to Readiness codes at 'Not Ready' and still go through with the actual smog test. But I am not sure how accurate that really is. You can borrow an obdII reader from Autozone and check to see if the sensors are 'Ready'. The one I used they were under IM Codes.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Turbochris

Chris
From what I've gathered during my conversations with FVD, they do not "turn off" the O2 sensors, they simply readjust the ECU's tolerance/variance between the #1 and #2 sensors so it won't throw a CEL. My guess is that this would be unnoticeable related to smog readiness.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
I hope so.....guess I'll find out in Dec when my reg is up.......might want to do a test only first just to make sure.....thanks for the good info guys....

Chris

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
nerdhotrod will become famous soon enoughnerdhotrod will become famous soon enough
Thats because he has them turned off as well. get a hold of todd ...
There is a way to turn these "off" but still have the readyness set up.

Ask your tuner if he can do this for you.