996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT700 final report from Grattan track event.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
GT700 final report from Grattan track event.

Well I had an absolute blast this weekend Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the track with your Porsche is just hard to beat. 220 minutes of track time plus something that few other DE events do. Sunday afternoon they do time trials. They give you a clear track and 2 laps to record your best time, that is really awesome!

Out of 50 to 60 cars my car was the 3rd fastest during time trials. The only cars faster than mine were a stripped out 911 race car weighing 1850 pounds with a 350 hp motor. The second was the Lingenfelter Corvette which was naturally aspirated with around 530 hp, setup suspension and very good driver.

I think I could have been as fast or faster than the Corvette, but there are a few problems with my car. First I may have too much power for the track even though I was running the pump gas program there were 3 corners where I was spinning all four tires using MPSC tires! Spinning tires means lost time. Second I did have a few corners where lag hurt me compared to a NA car. I would hit the throttle and have to count one-one thousand until the turbos kicked in, by that time the Vette was gone. I could have gone to a lower gear but you have to weigh in the time to downshift and then upshift versus waiting for the turbos.

Finally my suspension probably needs to be tweaked as my rear bar is full stiff and should probably be on the middle setting. I will have the car corner balanced and make some adjustments before the next track event.

There were only 3 cars that ran sub 1:30's in the timed event and I was one of them so I am happy. I ran about 2 seconds faster during normal track sessions but screwed up both of my timed laps.

All in all it was a ton of fun and can't wait to get back out there. If you have not tracked your car you are missing out big time.

Whew! Sorry for the long post!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:16 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Strong work. On R6's you could have cut another couple of seconds

Old 09-16-2007, 08:23 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great Job Buddy,

Way to represent the Porsche "Marque"

Sounds like a very fast set-up that will get only faster with
some minor tweaks. Good I/C's will improve you power retention although
may be the least of your worries.

MK

Old 09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up Buddy!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Well done Buddy, nothing better than giving her a good thrashing...way to go with your lap times!

Ben

Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
I wonder if more aggressive camber would help also?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Way to turn around a rough start (with the blown hose fittings and all) and ended up with a very, very respectable time !!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
wonder if you switched drivers of the top three cars would the results still have been the same, my guess, yes.
I would give more credit to your driving skills Buddy than the car, that's were the big difference is when you get to that level, way to go!!! congrats to you then the car!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by tom kerr
wonder if you switched drivers of the top three cars would the results still have been the same, my guess, yes.
I would give more credit to your driving skills Buddy than the car, that's were the big difference is when you get to that level, way to go!!! congrats to you then the car!
As my friend always says... "its not the bow & arrow, its the (American) indian!"

Congrats!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Strong work. On R6's you could have cut another couple of seconds
Possibly the guy with the Vette was using them and said he was getting no better times with the R6 vs MPSC.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Some in our club prefer the Cups to the Hoosiers because the Hoosiers tend to
be so sticky that they scrub too much speed off. (like Luis' father runs the Cups).

Marty

Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yeah I don't know if the Vette driver was that much better than me but his car is setup better for this track for sure.

The 911 race car ran 2 seconds faster than the Vette so I don't think it would matter much who was driving that car between the 3 of us. It only weighs 1800 pounds and has 350 hp!

To all the people who say the American tuners don't build sustainable horsepower (Jean this is for you) I ran 220 minutes of track time 5 - 20 minute sessions one day, 4 - 20 minute sessions the second day and 2 - 20 minute sessions the third day and saw no discernible decrease in performance from my car.

Evoms GT700 rocks!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
If the vette was getting similar lap times from the cups as the Hoosiers, I would guess that his car doesn't have nearly enough negative camber to take advantage of R-comps. Hoosiers allow way more lateral g's than the cups, Either that or he doesn't have enough experience in the Hoosiers to trust them. It is like playing football in cleats vs cross-trainers.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Boulder GT3 is on a distinguished road
Fun write up. Thanks.

My tt only has the 600hp program. I've only done one track day with it for fun but your comments about too much power are interesting. My intuition would be that on any kind of a shorter technical track a non-modded turbo might be just as quick. 1st and 2nd are pretty worthless as the gear change comes up so quick that I was quicker to use 3rd more but as you point out it adds another dimension of planning for power delivery.

I'm still a couple of seconds quicker in my GT3 on a 2 minute track. It's much easier to work the powerband in the GT3 on the track. That said, I think the GT3 is miserable on the road and I'd get in the tt tonight and drive it anywhere.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Way to represent Buddy G. But you still couldnt keep up with a stock 997 GT3 (lol).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT700 final report from Grattan track event.