996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

remote key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Frög is on a distinguished road
remote key

yes im a Porsche noob..

I have a 99 c2, the key has only one button for unlock and lock and i hate it!! i get confused sometimes and don't know if its locked or unlocked.. i want an unlock and a lock button.. anyway, is there anything i can do? the newer ones came with two buttons, is that for the trunk or unlock? and is it compatible with mine?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Euclid is on a distinguished road
Maybe it'd help if there was some way to make it "beep". I agree, it's real hard to tell.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM
no-substitute is on a distinguished road
agree with both posts above! Considering the sharing between Audi/Porsche/VW you would think Porsche would have two buttons; Lock AND unlock...

I would be interested to hear if anyone has come up with a solution, other than an aftermarket alarm/locking system that has either separate lock and unlock butons and/or different chirps for lock/unlock.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
auto-xr will become famous soon enough
I have a 99 as well and I don't think there is anything that we can do to change this (cheaply since the new electronics were introduced in 2000 I believe). To make the car beep one of the doors or engine/trunk lid has to be open. I think it may also beep if the inside console compartment is unlocked as well (I've not confirmed this though).

My case is slightly worse b/c my remote's battery died. After I changed the battery, it still didn't work. I even tried all the potential fixes that were kicked about on renntech.org and rennlist. Nada. I may be stuck having to buy new remote key heads from Sunset Imports (I believe $75 each) and then paying one of the SF Bay Area dealers to program it.

Anyone have an idea of which of the dealers (Carlsen, Rector, Sonnen, etc...) is reasonable?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
This is one of the only things I hate about my car. The other thing is I put my key in my pocket and I can't say how many times my trunk opens.

Porsche put it to where I have to hold the trunk button down longer so it doesn't happen near as much...

Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Euclid
Maybe it'd help if there was some way to make it "beep". I agree, it's real hard to tell.
the parking lights should flash when arming and disarming. that's how minwe works.

jorge

Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zdr2k
the parking lights should flash when arming and disarming. that's how minwe works.

jorge
Its not brite and I cant ever see it flash

Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
interesting......is this something the dealer needs to program? (light flash?)

Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Mine do flash, it's pretty dim though.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Euclid
You can buy a aftermarket chirp module. Hardwire it to the parking light so when your light flash one or twice it will chirp the same way to let you know.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by daytrader
You can buy a aftermarket chirp module. Hardwire it to the parking light so when your light flash one or twice it will chirp the same way to let you know.
with a 100k car it should come with it lol jk

No but with all seriousness this has to be the number 1 complaint with all the Porsche owners. O yea and the one that most cars dont ever want to run with you do they think Porsche is a super fast race car or something? hahaha ok JK but no joke in my M3 everyone pulled up to me

Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
911>m3

Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by globalm3
with a 100k car it should come with it lol jk

No but with all seriousness this has to be the number 1 complaint with all the Porsche owners. O yea and the one that most cars dont ever want to run with you do they think Porsche is a super fast race car or something? hahaha ok JK but no joke in my M3 everyone pulled up to me
I agreed!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
rlim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by auto-xr
I have a 99 as well and I don't think there is anything that we can do to change this (cheaply since the new electronics were introduced in 2000 I believe). To make the car beep one of the doors or engine/trunk lid has to be open. I think it may also beep if the inside console compartment is unlocked as well (I've not confirmed this though).

My case is slightly worse b/c my remote's battery died. After I changed the battery, it still didn't work. I even tried all the potential fixes that were kicked about on renntech.org and rennlist. Nada. I may be stuck having to buy new remote key heads from Sunset Imports (I believe $75 each) and then paying one of the SF Bay Area dealers to program it.

Anyone have an idea of which of the dealers (Carlsen, Rector, Sonnen, etc...) is reasonable?
-----------------

I'll looking at getting a spare key from Sunset Import where they have quoted me $105 for the FOB and $15 for the blade. The FOB will have to be programmed by the dealership where they quoted about 1/2 hr labour ... Approx $60. They requested that I bring in both the car and original key for testing to ensure it works. They told me that they can program and enable the car to "beep" when using the remote. I will know for sure when I program it. I also have the single button remote for my 99 C2 and the lights flashes when I activate the locks. The single button doesn't bother me... I like the simple design.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by rlim
-----------------

I'll looking at getting a spare key from Sunset Import where they have quoted me $105 for the FOB and $15 for the blade. The FOB will have to be programmed by the dealership where they quoted about 1/2 hr labour ... Approx $60. They requested that I bring in both the car and original key for testing to ensure it works. They told me that they can program and enable the car to "beep" when using the remote. I will know for sure when I program it. I also have the single button remote for my 99 C2 and the lights flashes when I activate the locks. The single button doesn't bother me... I like the simple design.
You have a very good dealer that only charge $60 for program and cutting the blade. Most will charge $110 or more.

I will check with my dealer about programming the "beep".