996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Geez, new '04 visor stickers must be epoxy....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Geez, new '04 visor stickers must be epoxy....

Lacquer Thinner, Goo Gone, NOTHING is doing much good, and now my visors look pretty crappy.

My old '99 had painted visor stickers, took them off with paint thinner in about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any better ideas for the '04? Guess I'll be buying some euro visors shortly.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
I'm getting to be a pro at this, since this is my third 996! I remove the visors and put them on the work bench on top of an old towel. I used a piece of an old t-shirt folded twice so it's about the size of the sticker, soaked it well with denatured alcohol, and let it sit on the sticker for 2 - 3 minutes--get the rag nice and wet, and let the alcohol soften the sticker which makes the removal a lot easier. Then the rubbing begins--I start at one corner and it will start disintegrating into little pieces. There's a residue left, and for that I use 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner--again soak a rag and rub for a while and the residue will start to melt and get stuck to the rag. Then I finish it with 303 Protectant. There's still a slight shadow on the non-mirror sides (the mirror sides look perfect), but nobody will notice it but you (at least on black visors). When doing the mirror sides, I put a folded paper towel between the mirror flap and visor to catch any liquid. My '04 visors were the hardest (vs. my '99 and '02)--maybe they've changed the sticker.

Last edited by Poursha; 05-23-2004 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:52 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I did exactly that. Did not make a dent in it. And I did this on my '99 with ease.

I think they have changed the formula for the painted stickers. I got one about 1/3 removed after nearly 90 minutes of work.

Even let one sit with the rag on it for over an hour....did not budge.

Thinking about just buying some euro visors and being done with it.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:37 AM
mal28 is on a distinguished road
Old 05-23-2004, 07:03 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Eric,

I've learned my lesson, never ever try to remove stickers from the visors. I've ruined more than one set on different cars.

Roy

Old 05-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I used one of those kitchen pads, yellow sponge on one side and green ruff stuff on the other side. That helped.. Also after your done to bring back the black use that wax that is supposed to fill in chips and swirls, you buy it for whatever color car you have, obviously black is the one to get.. of course this all depends if your able to get the stickers off.... Good luck Eric