996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Those who track your car... battery consideration

Old 08-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Those who track your car... battery consideration

Hey guys. I took my car in today for another issue, but a side issue I pointed out was my battery constantly 'sweating' or bubbling water out the top of a couple of the cell covers.

It would even do this while not driving it and sitting in the garage!

The dealer today told me that if I plan on tracking my car as much as I do (which is every other month), I should look at a different battery. Like a gel cell battery instead. The stock batteries aren't the best for the high G loads.

What have you heard?

Old 08-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Banned
bobc4s is on a distinguished road
Track Battery

My 01 306hp Boxster S seen a lot of track time and the battery liquid sweating /leaking became a big problem as it started to corrode everything in the area of the battery, metal included. I check out some of the others cars that spent a lot of time on track and found out that they switched to either a good sealed external vent type battery or in most cases a gel type battery. I went with the gel and never had a problem again

Old 08-20-2003, 09:47 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thrilled... I had brake fluid and battery juice come out at the track this weekend. Sweet on the interior of my trunk!!!

Old 08-20-2003, 01:31 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Figures

I just bought a Porsche replacement battery yesterday for $130.00.

Where do you get a gel battery?
What size?
What cost?
And, do you think the dealer will take the new one back? It hasn't been installed.

Bart

Old 08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Banned
bobc4s is on a distinguished road
Gel Battery

I would try Pegasus Racing, Summit Racing or a local Hi Performance parts store that caters to Drag Racers they use Gel Batteries