996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

how to clean leather without filling holes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 AM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
how to clean leather without filling holes?

My seats are leather with a design that includes tinly little holes for looks, better veniliation, or both.

I used Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner, and I notice that no matter how carefully I did it, many of the holes would get covered and filled in with the cleaning solution.

Anyone with seats like this - how do you clean/condition your leather seats without getting the holes filled in? Does it even matter if the holes get filled in?

Old 05-24-2004, 11:33 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
I usually find the leather cleaners buff out well after application. I usually only have this issue when you use too much product. Try to buff the seats off with a microfiber towel or cloth. This should remove most of the product. Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
I've used Lexol Cleaner and the Lexol Conditioner...never had that problem. Great stuff.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
CA996 is on a distinguished road
Toothpicks

Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
Good suggestion about the toothpicks and the microfiber cloth - I'll try that and if I have to just individually pick out the dots with toothpick.

maybe I should switch back to Lexol. Problem is, I like Meguiars better because it seems to not cause artificial shine of the leather like Lexol, and isn't as wet.

I used to always use Lexol and had used it once on my porsche seats without this problem. Anyone particularly feel or know if either better than the other? e.g. Meguiars vs Lexol.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
I mask each hole off... It is the only way to do it!

Smart ***... I know!

I do it this way do the bolsters (No holes) with the cloth good and saturated with the cleaner/conditioner wipe the center. If it is a matter of getting rid of what you have already done... Larry is right toothpicks.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Meguiars > all

Old 05-25-2004, 04:27 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Terry Cloth robe.

Drape yourself in robe, walk carefully to car, open door, sit down and slide around a bit. Try it with a partner for added enjoyment.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:28 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by mozhacker
Good suggestion about the toothpicks and the microfiber cloth - I'll try that and if I have to just individually pick out the dots with toothpick.

maybe I should switch back to Lexol. Problem is, I like Meguiars better because it seems to not cause artificial shine of the leather like Lexol, and isn't as wet.

I used to always use Lexol and had used it once on my porsche seats without this problem. Anyone particularly feel or know if either better than the other? e.g. Meguiars vs Lexol.
I know the shine you mean. That is from Lexol build up. I haven't had any problems with my seats in my Carrera, they are still nice and "dull" but clean and conditioned. It's a matter of not using too much I think.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:52 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Tried them both , Meguiars works best for me