996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Seeking Expert advice and caution!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Slakr is on a distinguished road
Seeking Expert advice and caution!!!

Currently in the market for a used "4" Cabriolet 996.....(thanks to my wonderful wife's 50th birthday present to me!!!) What should I look
for, and look out for?? Any good buyer's guides to recommend? I'm probably in the 2002 - 2004 model year price range, based on the limited "looking" I've done so far......Thanks in advance for your help!!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
make sure you get a PPI and warranty... good luck with your search, it is half the fun, but owning one is better.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
PPI with private or dealer. Never trust and believe owner and saleman. Ask for previous service/maintenance documents. Let the full inspection tell the story. Including engine, transmission, suspension and body/frame.

"4" is more expensive to fix (transmission, clutch).

Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by daytrader
PPI with private or dealer. Never trust and believe owner and saleman. Ask for previous service/maintenance documents. Let the full inspection tell the story. Including engine, transmission, suspension and body/frame.

"4" is more expensive to fix (transmission, clutch).
I have a 99 C4 Cab, and the "4" has cost me NO extra money over a "2"....Oh....and I have 144K miles on it.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Lucky you! Can I get the shop name where you have your ride serv.?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
http://www.herg.net

great shop....they know what they are doing and have great rates....

Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
That where I brought my ride to. Mike is the owner (deputy Sheriff). I agreed.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies so far...

Do things like Porsche crest in the seats, second hard top, etc. matter?
What should I consider to make sure that I maintain the potential resale
value? Are there any manufacturer recalls that I should make sure have
been completed? Should I stick to Certified cars, only???

Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
It's always good to get a car with many options that original owner paid premium for. Living in the cold weather area you should choose heated seats, PSM. Turtle shell if you have space in your garage to stored in summer.

Not all cert. cars have good history. Buy one with good hist. and well-maintained. Soft top should be in good cond. and look to have 3-4 years life or you will pay $$ to replace it. Also, no rust. If you can get a California or Florida car is the top choice.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
The reason I'm here is that I just spent $$$ to go to Florida to look at a piece of
junk....2001, only 20k miles - salesman assured me it was in beautiful condition....
needless to say, I never even drove it, the body was so dinged and chipped....Oh well...
lesson learned!! and it was a nice day there!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
A few things: These cars are all about the options. Make sure that you understand which ones are important to you and go from there. Almost everything on the car is a la carte. Some you can add later and some, like the self leveling litronics, you can't. In '02 that had a "narrow body" model and then they came out with the "S" model, which is the turbo body, brakes, etc, with the 996 N/A engine. I would check the PCNA pre-owned list on their website and try to find a CPO car. Take your time. I spent 4 months looking for my first one.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 PM
If you can find one from 6speed is also a good choice. Most members on this board do take care of their cars very well and have a few mod. done. Save you $$$ on the long run. Rennlist is another site to check. GL!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Slakr
The reason I'm here is that I just spent $$$ to go to Florida to look at a piece of
junk....2001, only 20k miles - salesman assured me it was in beautiful condition....
needless to say, I never even drove it, the body was so dinged and chipped....Oh well...
lesson learned!! and it was a nice day there!!!!
next time have them walk through the car with you over the phone and note the response, if its not the condition they say it is over the phone... raise hell.

Another option is to advertise the car here or other forums to have a local member look at it for you... I have looked at cars for other members and when I said it was worth looking, they would fly in and see for themselves... believe it or not, this is done quite often on the boards. Hopefully one day a member will return the favor.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned
Eric523 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daytrader
That where I brought my ride to. Mike is the owner (deputy Sheriff). I agreed.
It's my dad, Mark, and he's moved up to sergeant since we've seen you. Thanks for the kind words guys

Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Eric523
It's my dad, Mark, and he's moved up to sergeant since we've seen you. Thanks for the kind words guys
Sorry for the mixed up in name. Your mom is a very cool lady. She seems to know more about Porsche than your dad.

Wow, congratulation to your dad promotion to Sergeant. Is this means he not going to patrol the street for speeder like me. Thanks God!

I met you and your sister when I took my car in for your dad to do the REVO reflashing and he was teaching you to do the program.

Last edited by daytrader; 11-14-2007 at 02:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seeking Expert advice and caution!!!