996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Are the girlfriend of wife allowed to drive the porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
call-911 is infamous around these parts
I let my wife drive my Porsche, now she claims it's her car!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Redlined
"What a stupid post.

The worst thing about car forums (aka hangout for "good old boys") is the pervasive Cro-Magnon mentality.

Of course, I let my wife drive the C4S when/if she wants to. It's 2008, people. Get your heads out of your bungs."

Hell of a first post, hopefully it's your last
Great post, Redlined!

What's funny, is that there are far more men out there who don't have half the driving ability of some of us and would be more prone to blowing through a clutch or hitting a curb, etc.

Why don't those of you who freak out about your girl driving your car, try to share the experience with them instead. They may come to see why we love these cars so much. It's just a car! They are there to enjoy and have fun. And if you can't do that with your SO, what's the point?

BTW...I am a woman who has THREE Pcars...and for those of you who wouldn't let your girl get behind the wheel...you' re really missing out. Or...perhaps you're just scared they'll be better than you behind the wheel?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
printemps2001 is infamous around these parts
Although my current girlfriend doesn't drive a manual and has no interest in learning, I've let plenty of people drive my cars. I don't see what the big deal is. If something happens, you get it fixed or replaced. It's a modern, mass produced amalgamation of steel, aluminum, leather, and plastic, not an SJ Roadster. People need to relax.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 PM
88carrera is infamous around these parts
Let her drive it, or some guy in a turbo will let her drive his.

Howard

1988 Carrera

Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 PM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
I let mine drive the NSX and the M3. She has three BMWs, including two 2002s, and does a few HPDEs now and again.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:02 AM
rlim is infamous around these parts
The way I look at it ... if you lack the trust in allowing your gf drive your car, it is understandable as you're probably in an early stage in your relationship. However, if she is your fiance and you still lack the trust ... you might as well not take the relationship any further into marrying her as trust should not be a concern at that stage in your relationship.

If you're married and you lack the trust in your wife driving the "car"... she should dump your *** for even having to think twice about it. Unless of course she has a history of erratic or bad driving habits. It's only a freaking car!

My wife and I have are fully committed and trust each other entirely ... we work hard and play hard. She commented yesterday that she would love the Ferrari which we were eyeing at the dealership where we bought the Porsche as a replacement to the Beemer. Of course it will be a few years later ... we'll just have to work a bit harder and save plenty more...

Last edited by rlim; 02-17-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM
vick57 is infamous around these parts
wow, this thread has legs. i thought it would die out a long time ago. pity.

let's quit flogging the antiquated notion that women can't drive as well as men. it's just plain sexist to talk about granting permission to someone who's supposed to be your partner. your car is an inanimate object. a very, very expensive inanimate object. any mature discussion about who drives the car should be about risk mitigation not gender. hopefully, i'm stating the obvious here.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Liv2Drive is infamous around these parts
I got lucky- My fiancee had a pcar before we met, knows how to drive and understands the "12 inches from curb rule", so I've never been concerned when she has the car. Any girl who knows how to really work a stick and appreciates fine German engineering is tops in my book..

The only solution to end the 'whos driving the pcar today battle' was for us to pick up a CTT (which is her DD), so order and balance have been restored (at least for now).

Now when I say "I got lucky", I mean that I lucked out in finding someone who shares a similar passion and appreciation for cars. If I had a sexist notion in my head she would have slapped it out a long time ago... lol

Last edited by Liv2Drive; 02-22-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
SoCal996 is infamous around these parts
I asked my wife a few times to drive my 996 but she wants nothing to do with it

Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
wyldstyle is infamous around these parts
The only car i won't let anyone drive is the first porsche i ever purchased 6 years ago after college, a 1999 C2. But all my homies and *****es can drive the 996 2003 TT, i just bought a few years ago....I could careless its still under the extended warranty. And no one wants to drive my beater....the lonely acura tsx gets no love...

Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
LowStro9 is infamous around these parts
no, nope & no sireeee !

Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 PM
NeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of light
wife doesn't like stick shift- didn't like learning it- doesn't like practicing it.
Whew!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Rule #1: If you are protective of your manual sports car, never ever teach
your wife/girlfriend to drive manual.

Rule #2: Never deviate from Rule #1

Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
NeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
Rule #1: If you are protective of your manual sports car, never ever teach
your wife/girlfriend to drive manual.

Rule #2: Never deviate from Rule #1

so true!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That's pretty weak - let her drive it. EDIT: What's worse is me responding to a 5 year old post. Sorry I missed that.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-29-2012 at 07:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are the girlfriend of wife allowed to drive the porsche?