996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OEM Carbon have you feeling Green?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Former Vendor
johnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to behold
OEM Carbon have you feeling Green?

Hey All,

I just wanted to show an install we did today for 6speeder LilStan. He brought in his sweet ’99 C2 to replace his old yellowing/fading OEM 996 carbon fiber door side pocket covers with some MAcarbon pieces. This presents a good contrast as we did the door pulls a few months ago – the color difference between our parts and the old OEM is pretty obvious with such big pieces.

The installation process for these pieces pretty straight forward….probably a 30min job with the right tools. Of course, we didn’t have the right tools and it ended up taking an hour to do, but it all worked out in the end.

Tools: Size 10 Torx bit
Narrow/small ratchet!

For the install, we decided to remove and install the covers in place rather than remove the flap mechanism. This reduced the amount of removal/reinstall work. The covers are each held on by thirteen(!) torx screws. The lower edge is easy to do but when cover is flipped up, the top screws go down into the map pocket. It’s pretty small so there is little room for the ratchet or your hands. So getting a right-angled fitting or small compact-type ratchet should make it much easier. We had to learn the hard way J as our ratchet and torx bit was too long to fit and we had to do it by hand. Other than the space issue, the hardest screw to reach was the one located at the very front of the cover. We’ve included a pic highlighting that screw squared in red.

Our before and after pictures really speak for themselves. The contrast of the old OEM carbon pockets with our MAcarbon door handle surrounds is clearly noticeable. So with the old pieces replaced with our new parts, it definitely looks a lot better. Interestingly, we just received a brand new set of OEM door speaker grills and they are almost the same exact color as the old map pocket pieces.

Thanks to Lilstan for being patient as we took the photos.

If any 6speeder has questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images      
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Former Vendor
johnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to behold
The After Photos

Here are the 'After' photos showing the new lid in place as well as the contrast with the old lid.

Attached Images    
Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Former Vendor
Although the pic doesn't show it as well as I'd like, here is a comparison between the pocket cover that cam of Stan's car, our pocket cover, and a brand new OEM Porsche speaker grill. I do feel green after looking at them! I almost wonder if the grills are NOS!

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
what are you going to do with the green OEM carbon??

Old 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
CaRJoE0220 is infamous around these partsCaRJoE0220 is infamous around these parts
Are you taking the old ones and rewrapping them? If so this would be a ncie cheap option for those who dont want to spend a **** ton on new CF parts and just have the old parts sitting around.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
+ 1 for Cheap old carbon fiber!!! lol

Nice work btw!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
john,

i know you make excellent fitting parts, but was wondering how long it would take for MA-C carbon pieces to start to fade as well, if they do at all?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
You have Questions..... We Have

All excellent questions....

On the old part, we will remove the old carbon coating and re-do it. The map pockets and latch surrounds are sold as exchange pieces so all of those parts are done this way. We used to have a supply of raw plastic parts from Porsche but burned through those and now do the door pieces on a core exchange basis. Porsche only sells leather wrapped parts which are very costly. And that's coming from a carbon fiber guy!

If you do have some old CF parts laying around, I suggest eBaying them - there are always someone willing to take a chance on them. Just make sure you include some good photos and say 'sold as is'. We're always looking for unused core parts - that are in good shape. We only core exchange parts that age well. Things that break/warp/ or otherwise are not suitable for use as a core simply have the cost of the part built into the price.

As for fading, all of our parts use a top quality clear coat by BASF/Glasurit. It is fully UV protected. We also offer a two year warranty against fading. Probably our largest market is Florida - which has lots of sun -and we have not had any pars returned for fading. I did find it amazing that the brand new part from Porsche was already green - which is an age issue rather than a sun issue. Or maybe they just like green.

As for care of your parts, only use a soft cotton or micro fiber cloth with some water to clean them. Do not use strong detergents or other chemicals as it can attack the clear coat. Detailing Dynamics sells a nice mild product as well - and it leaves a fresh lemony scent when you are done. I'll have them post there info.

Last edited by johnb@macarbon; 02-07-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
CaRJoE0220 is infamous around these partsCaRJoE0220 is infamous around these parts
What aboiut us without CF to begin with.

And WHATS THE COST!!!! haha

Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Former Vendor
Same

The cost is the same for those with carbon or without.

All of our prices are listedon our website. www.macarbon.com

Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CaRJoE0220
What aboiut us without CF to begin with.

And WHATS THE COST!!!! haha
i have had some cf made by MA carbon for my 911 and cayenne.

as to the cost - as Mastercard says - priceless! the stuff is awesome.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks CPA! We appreciate the kind words. Let me know how those mirror triangles turned out.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
cool. my full oem cf interior is still holding up all right - i do live in cloudy seattle.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I love M.A carbon, John is by far one of the best guys in the business to deal with. His product is by far better then OEM . John I cant wait for my custom parts to arrive.I love your product!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
Here is a link to the product that John is talking about to use on the parts to keep them shiny and smooth for years to come:

http://detailingdynamics.net/Merchan...tegory_Code=DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM Carbon have you feeling Green?