996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4S Rear wheel drive conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kilrgt
There is no way after I did the conversion on my TT would I ever go back...ever. You can do it on the C4S as well, no worries it is reversible when and if you sell the car. I understand why you want to do it, you don't want a Narrow body car,or you would have bought one. I don't blame you the WB is way more aggressive looking.Don't worry about the how good the car works in the not so friendly weather, if you adjust your driving styles for the conditions you wont have any issues.Now stop reading and get out in the garage and start wrenching!
Thank you, I couldnt have said it any better.

So its official, it is possible..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
did you do a LSD when you did the conversion as well? Do you "need" it, or will it drive perfectly w/o it? Does you PSM still work just like stock, or did you have to disable it? ummmm...think that is about it. Thanks.
PSM still works perfectly, the front differential is on a viscous coupling and has nothing to do with the ABS sensors which remain in tact after the axles are removed. If you have tiptronic, its a different story, wont work. Just do a quick search in the TT threads for RWD conversion, it will pop up a whole page of threads.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by waipahu996
OK, so that's cool it's reversible. How much would it cost to do, how many labor hours, or is it easy enough to DIY?
A few guys on the TT threads had it done in 3.5 hrs from start to finish. Count on needing a friend for help to get out the diff and axles.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Anyone tried this yet???

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
/me likes the '4' in '4S'! =)

Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Malakas is infamous around these parts
great thread - very curious too!

Would you change the rear deck lid to C2S?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Malakas
great thread - very curious too!

Would you change the rear deck lid to C2S?
That's good, I'm thinking a 911 S badge from Bumper Plugs...lol

I'm actually talking this over with Stephen from Imagine Auto about doing this conversion because my car is going in next week for PSS10's and adj. sway bars at the local speed shop here in Peoria,IL. All would need to be removed before align and corner balance. Will let you know if it comes to fruition.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
reviving an old thread, but i may do this........

Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Less weight, yes. More useable power, questionable, useable is the key work, getting the power to the ground is the factor and 4WD often offers big advantages, four times the rubber on pavement. Better handling, not really only different feel. If you look at track statistics the 4WD laps consistently faster, even in the hands of less experienced drivers. However, many prefer the feel of the 2WD, and the "challenge" of 2WD over 4WD, more traditional feel. I see many posters who question 4WD and PSM as taking away the skill factor and unnecessary technology, yet they never want to give up their ABS.

Once it gets wet and/or slippery, especially a little ice or snow and the 4WD will far out perform the 2WD. Also, removing the system will involve the PSM in a 4wd car which is programmed for 4WD and may effect the ABS. Having had 5 2WD porsches, and now a C4 Cab I would never go back except in the case of an older car, I still want to get another 928 as a toy.
I agree totally. I was up at watkins glen for Cups and saucers; the first day was raining. i was the fastest car on the track - "Hmm, isnt that that red GT3 up there? Let's see if I can pass him 3 turns from now."

It is a different way of driving, but, as you said, even in inexperienced hands, one can drive it really fast.

JB