996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

02 Turbo Bumper on a 03 C2. I have a bumper, but what else do I need??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Oakland is on a distinguished road
02 Turbo Bumper on a 03 C2. I have a bumper, but what else do I need??

A friend of mine changed his from bumper on his 02 turbo. Unfortunately it is the bumper with those ugly plastic wings on it. I'm still interested in putting it on my car since I just mangled my front bumper.

My questions are:

1. What else do I need for this install? The bumper that I'm getting is just a straight "take off" from his vehicle. Basically bumper skin and its mountings.

2. Would this be too much trouble? Meaning spending more money on custom labor rather than buying the genuine turbo bumper kit from Carnewal or NR auto?

3. What can I do about those hideous front bumperettes?

Old 06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Rocky is on a distinguished road
I dumped a turbo bumper onto my C2. The conversion was pretty easy actually. All I had to do was repaint and buy the eyebrows/eyelids (the black piece that's under the headlights) and that's all. In terms of putting the piece on, I heard it was a piece of cake. There were only two small things wrong. First, there's a long metal bar in the front that needs to be shortened a bit. I heard if its cut, this does not hurt the car at all. The other problem, which I haven't fixed to today, is that you'll need to get a piece of plastic or some material to cover up a small hole. The hole extends from the center of the bumper to around ~9 inches back. No big deal if its not put on. Some people just don't like the look of being able to see the ground when you look through there. Some say aerodynamics. I thought the problem was too small to fix. It didn't make a big difference on mine.

As for the small bumperettes, those things are pretty bad. I think if you pick up the right kind or year turbo bumper, they don't come with them on. I heard there isn't any way around them, except to get a new bumper. Not quite sure about this.

Also, if you're going to repaint the bumper, i'd suggest repainting the bottom black lip the same color as your car. I know a lot of people who have done this. THen there were those who didn't because their car was low and was scared about scratching the paint off. I figured that it wouldn't make a difference whether it was painted or not.

Other than that, I'd say the install is pretty easy. Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I actually have a picture of Rocky/Bocky's car...

Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't even have that nice of a picture of my own car yet. I'll maybe do it one day after I've waxed it. Thanks Kirb.

As you can see through the middle air pocket, you can kind of see the ground. If this bothers you, I'd just ask them to help you put on some kind of black plastic sheet and mount it on.

The other thing is you can see how the bottom lip matches the color of the car. I did that to try and make the car as uni-colored as possible. Even the side markers match!

Cheers

Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Rocky

We should get together and take some cool pictures of your car.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:13 AM
New AVATAR!

That'd be great. Maybe one weekend, we can grab some other people and head out to a good site to take some shots.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:14 AM
hahah Cool Avitar!

Just let me know which weekend and I'll bring the Camera!

Old 07-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Just the eyelids are needed parts wise..

Click pics for high res.

Here is what we did on a friends 02 Cab.. with mesh in the grills

Old 07-01-2004, 01:31 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
My bodyshop was able to save the eyelids and glue thm back on. That will save you about $150. Also, the bracket for the outside temperature guage is different, so it doesn't fit in. I just leave the temperature guage inside the bumper. Lastly, if you don't have the screens and are just going to be using the stock slats, you will need some flat black paint and a foam brush to "black-out" the aluminum brackets from the old bumper that can be seen. Other than that, it is a direct fit. Now that I think about it, have the bodyshop paint the brackets for you before they put the TT bumper on.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 AM
doncapecod is on a distinguished road
Front TT bumper cover

The advice is right on Oakland. The bumper mount for the TT cover is shorter because of the grille openings. IOW you would see the ends of the mount as you looked thru your bumper. The TT mount costs 650.00 but the shop that did mine just cut a couple of inches off each end.

Instead of paying 100 bucks to cover the opening that Rocky talks about, I spent 1100.00 for mesh grille inserts

If you want a slightly different look you could paint your plastic grilles silver, like the anniversary edition.
PS: It was Rocky's suggestion that I get the lower lip painted silver, and I don't regret a bit since my car is not lowered.
Mine... (got to show it off )

Old 07-01-2004, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the advise guys

I will make sure that I paint the lower lip. It is a bummer that the 02 Turbo bumper has bumperettes.

Now how about the rear diffusers, I rarely see anyone with them. Not even on GT3's. The 01 and older aero kits have those two side fins but the 02's and up do now. What would be a good option to put back there?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:33 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Only a small number of 01's have the bumperettes (warts). ) 02 and above are fine. I would advise against painting the lower lip whether your car is lowered or not. It looks good on some colors, not so good on others. Big problem is that piece takes a beating from rocks, road debris, and steep driveways. It's gonna look like crap when the paint starts getting ripped off.

Have the body shop trim the metal bumper back about an inch. That is the easiest and cheapest option and doesn't affect the integrity of the bumper.
You can reuse the stock ducts if you want. That's what I did. If you need a set of turbo ducts, I have a set for sale.
Shop around for the eyebrows. They can be had very cheaply from certan sources. The prices on eyebrows varies widely.
My temp guage sits in the stock location in the bumper.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:53 AM
DaveMo will become famous soon enoughDaveMo will become famous soon enough
Deputydog95,

How did you attach the temp sensor? The opening on my TT bumper is round and the sensor from my C4 is oval shaped. I can push it in part way, but it always comes out.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Did you have to cut or do anything to the ducts?

Originally posted by deputydog95
Only a small number of 01's have the bumperettes (warts). ) 02 and above are fine. I would advise against painting the lower lip whether your car is lowered or not. It looks good on some colors, not so good on others. Big problem is that piece takes a beating from rocks, road debris, and steep driveways. It's gonna look like crap when the paint starts getting ripped off.

Have the body shop trim the metal bumper back about an inch. That is the easiest and cheapest option and doesn't affect the integrity of the bumper.
You can reuse the stock ducts if you want. That's what I did. If you need a set of turbo ducts, I have a set for sale.
Shop around for the eyebrows. They can be had very cheaply from certan sources. The prices on eyebrows varies widely.
My temp guage sits in the stock location in the bumper.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:54 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
DaveMo:
My sensor fit right into the stock mounting point on the turbo's right grill. Just pops right in. Haven't had it fall out yet....

Oakland: You don't have to do anything to the ducts if you don't want to. Some people don't like they way the stock ducts can be seen through the turbo grills. I personally don't notice it at all. Some people trim them back a few inches so they can't be seen as easily. Or you could just use the turbo ducts. I'd just use your stock ones untrimmed. But like I said before, I have a set of turbo ones if you want them.