996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hi from a NEW to Porsche and member

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Last Car is on a distinguished road
Hi from a NEW to Porsche and member

Hello fellow 996ers,
The name is Patrick Ford and I just got me a new 'used' 1999 C2 6 speed Porsche that I named 'Axel'. Just sold my 850i BMW 6 speed to get this beautiful Guards Red all black leather car. With a little under 55,000 miles I'm hoping I have a trouble free ride.
I looked in the search area but could not find how to get a build sheet or a history report (not carfax); should I find a dealer and see if they get me one? I live 'way' far from any big city...little place called Cape Girardeau, Missouri...about 130 miles due South of St. Louis and 150 miles due North of Memphis; so it's hard to just 'shoot' over to the dealer and ask questions.
I do all my own work so it's places like this that make my car life work much easer. I also joined the Porsche Club of America but haven't gotten my paper work back yet.
I've been looking for a couple of Months and ya'll seem to know what's going on with the 996 and I hope to learn alot and maybe add some to the table.
Hope to be a helpful member of your '6speedonline' Community. As I understand, I must have a "?" number of post before I can add pictures or have my home email for folks, so I'll try and post as much as I can.
Thanks for your time,
P. Ford

Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
welcome aboard! pics plez ...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
How ?

Hi,
I've added a picture to my signature, but I don't know how to add "just" pictures,

Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
swift996 is on a distinguished road
If you have your photos hosted somewhere you can always share the links to them. Yeah I was surprised at first on how this forum worked, but it's pretty cool, weeds out the worthless. This is a great resource for anything you need to know about the 996, there is a very active community on here. I'd also recommend
http://www.renntech.org
It's more technical focused but a great resource for DIY and technical knowledge. This forum is more interesting in my opinion, a lot of talk about upgrades and the best places to get things, best methods of doing things, etc.

Welcome!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
AllBusinessJoe can only hope to improve
Welcome to the forum.

I'm new here as well, having picked up a C4 last month.

Is this your first P-car? You are going to love it. I find myself looking for excuses to take it out for a spin. I also just picked up a K&N intake. Looking forward to the hp and noise boost!

PS: I know exactly where Cape Girardeau is, as I spent a week working there a while back. As a public service, (and with practically no traffic), you can use your car to "dust off the highway" for the other residents.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies

AllBusinessJoe,
Yes, this is a great place to kick some 'road' a*#. We have a alot of 'hills' and most of the time no COPs driving around on the back roads.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
rotokim is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard, P. Ford. If you're like me and a number of other 6ers, this is the best car you've ever owned. Congratulations.

Hey, AllBusinessJoe. Congratulations to you too. Welcome to the 6.

Bob

Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
porsche4391 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!! You can also get a certificate of authenticity on www.porscheusa.com...it has a lot of info about your car on it...maybe that will help??

Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome and congrats on the new pcar!!

Posting pics is EASY!

1. go to www.flickr.com and create a free account. upload pics from your computer.
2. start a new post here
3. view your picture in your flickr account and right-click the photo. Choose "copy".
4 go to your new post entry and click your mouse anywhere in the area that you type text. right-click and choose "paste".

Your picture will pop right into your post- EASY!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 AM
swift996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porsche4391
Welcome!! You can also get a certificate of authenticity on www.porscheusa.com...it has a lot of info about your car on it...maybe that will help??
Do you have one? Is it worth while? $95, a little steep for a piece of paper, but it is pretty cool.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
yes... been to Cape G several times... true meaning of country backroads. Have fun with the p-car and welcome to the 6.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
porsche4391 is on a distinguished road
no i dont have one...i was thinking about it...it would be kinda neat i guess but i dont know exactly what all is on them

Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats and welcome to 6 speed

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies

Hey ya'll,
Just wanted to tell you thanks for all the replies. I'm still working on the picture thing. Right now I'm not sure if I want to spend $95 on 'information'; I think I remember reading here that one of the dealers sent a member a copy of his 'window sticker', maybe not.
Just got back from a 800 mile trip (down to South Georgia) and I really love this car. It's more comfortable than any of my Corvettes, much more "pepperer" than my 850 BMW, and just a pleasure to drive. It just seems that folks are always to F*#K with me.....go out of their way to pass, or pull up about 1 inch from my back bumper.....but all I have to do is "push hard on the gas peddle" and they aren't there any more!
One question, when ya'll are washing your Porsches' what do you do to keep the water out of the engine compartment. I raise the spoiler, so I can clean around it, and water gets everywhere......Is there some kind of cover I can put over the engine to keep water off if it?
Thanks again for your help,

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats and welcome to 6speed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hi from a NEW to Porsche and member