996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Radar Detector Placement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Aron is on a distinguished road
Question Radar Detector Placement

Where do you guys mount your radar detectors? (For those without remote mount.)

Thanks,
-Aron

Old 07-11-2003, 06:04 PM
dpblessing is on a distinguished road
V1 - stuck to the windshield (inside) high next to the rear view mirror on "my" side.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I mount my V1 in the center of the windshield, just above the level of the wipers...high enough to recieve through the back window and high enough to allow a clear signal from the front. Unless I have my son in the back, I drive with the backseats down; better for the rear antena on the V1, and the engine/exhaust sounds better.

Here's why I mount the V1 where I do:

1) I don't need anything else in my line of sight (because of my sitting height, i.e. long waisted, the rear view mirror presents enough problems as it is).

2) I don't have a permanent power cord installed (because of the low position) and I don't like looking at the cord hanging down with the high mounting position(s).

3) I've had the V1 come off and smack the dash (not on this car) and I don't want to take a chance on damaging the leather dash. There's not much room for the detector to drop in the lower position.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Aron is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I think I like it right below the mirror, but I don't like the cord hanging down. I dropped it low, just to the right of center (with the curve of the windshield, it points a little left).

Wondered if it worked OK that high.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned
bobc4s is on a distinguished road
Radar

If you mount the radar unit just below the mirror you can hide the wire under the interior just next to the windshield and run it down the side to under the dash

Old 07-12-2003, 04:53 PM
RJFabCab is on a distinguished road
Just below the rearview mirror...

That way, the V-1 kind of blends in with the rearview mirror. Just make sure your sensors are not blocked. In general, the higher you mount it, the better the range... especially over hills. Higher mounting also helps the "rear vision" of the detector.

I hardwired mine with the remote display mounted inside the little cubby below the CD slots and in front of the shifter. It's very convenient there... when it beeps, you simply extend your finger to hit the mute button.

Also, with the remote display hooked up, all the lights on the V-1 unit turn OFF. Only the remote display lights up, and it can't be seen from outside the car.

It lends to more stealthy night driving and keeps the car trains off your tail!

Old 07-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
In general, the higher you mount it, the better the range... especially over hills.

The difference in height between mounting the detector at the top of the windshield and on the dash is about 8-10". That's a .000244 degree difference at 3000", and given a direct line of sight (LOS) to the radar, the detection range of the V1, and the 9 degree beam width of the radar, that 8-10" is truely negligible. It probably can't even be measured.

The V1 has a detection range far beyond the maximum lock-on range of the radar (max lock on range is about 3000'), so the driver should be slowing down way before the radar is a threat whether the V1 is mounted at the rear view mirror, or on the dash.

If the radar is on the other side of a hill, the time it takes to "climb" the 8-10" into the radar beam (low versus high mount position) depends on the grade of the road and the car's speed. But even on a very mild upgrade of 1" rise every 5 feet, it only takes a car with the low mounted V1 doing 70 mph an additional 0.5 sec to enter the radar beam versus the high mounted car. Again, given the detection range capabilities of the V1, the 0.5 sec later first alert still puts the car well outside the radar's speed detection range.

None of this applies to instant-on radar, since the officer has to have LOS to use it and can wait until the car is well within the lock on range before emitting.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Cool Spoken like a true physicist...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
[B]The difference in height between mounting the detector at the top of the windshield and on the dash is about 8-10". That's a .000244 degree difference at 3000", and given a direct line of sight (LOS) to the radar, the detection range of the V1, and the 9 degree beam width of the radar, that 8-10" is truely negligible. It probably can't even be measured.

I agree that the difference you describe above is minimal, and perhaps even immeasurable. However, the difference between a properly mounted detector near the center of the windshield with unobstructed antennas is measurable when compared to a low mounted (dash) detector with the antennas obstructed by wiper blades, shoulders, rear seats, and rear decks.

A low mounting position seems to be more suited to your situation. Thankfully, I have never completely "lost" my V-1 with both suction cups coming off. Also, my unit is hardwired. So, I mount it high as near the center of the windshield as possible to give the detector the best unobstructed front and rearward views and thus, the best range detection capability.

V-1 Mounting: Where and How

My original statement about "higher mounting and better range" was referring more to positioning for unobstructed antennas. I was not recommending higher position for the .000244 degree difference at 3000" or the 0.5 sec difference at 70 mph.

But, once again, your complex math still supports "in general, higher is better"...

Cheers!

Old 07-16-2003, 07:25 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Lower center of Windsheild sits my V1

This is where I keep mine - interior before mods of course

Last edited by DJ; 07-16-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 PM
But, once again, your complex math still supports "in general, higher is better"...
It's not complex math

Also, the math doesn't support "higher is better" because the difference between the two mounting locations has to be measurable...and I don't think there is any instrumentation that could measure the difference. Radar encounters are never in a pure EM environment. There are reflection issues that just can't be modeled, and scatter and absorbtion also play a big role in detection range.

Try setting your V1 on the passengers seat, facing forward, and see how it does. You might be surprised.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:16 PM
doncapecod
I put the receiver high on the windshield and wired the remote to the steering column. Was I wrong to mount the receiver so high? Seems to work fine!

Old 07-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Radar encounters are never in a pure EM environment. There are reflection issues that just can't be modeled, and scatter and absorbtion also play a big role in detection range.
Try setting your V1 on the passengers seat, facing forward, and see how it does. You might be surprised. [/B]
Scatter and absorption are just two more reasons to mount in a higher, unobstructed location to maximize the chance of a signal reaching the antenna.

While there's no doubt that the V-1 will "work" sitting in the passenger seat, the range and sensitivity will be affected. Weak radar signals may never find the front antenna. The front of the car acts as a reflector causing radar reflection, deflection, and back scatter. Theses signals will have a lower chance of finding your V-1's antenna sitting low in the passenger seat hiding behind all the structure of the front of the car. Stronger radar signals would have to penetrate the front of the car to find your front antenna.

The V-1 is an extremely sensitive receiver. I choose to mount it high, free and clear front and rear, to maximize my chances of picking up the smokey signal.

The V-1 is a terrific device. But as we all know, you still need to drive smart and be a little lucky!

With instant on and laser, we're all just sitting ducks (in really fast, fun cars!)...

Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Yo, Darren...

NICE FLOOR MATS!!!

Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Scatter and absorption are just two more reasons to mount in a higher, unobstructed location to maximize the chance of a signal reaching the antenna.
My lower mounting position is not obstructed versus the high mounting position.

Think about someone with a water hose and a 9 degree nozzle standing in front of you, say 5-10' away. The guy aims the center of the spray at your face and opens fire. Your face is the receiver (the V1). Now bend your knees until your face is 8-10" lower. Still getting pretty wet? Your "receiver" (face) only has to get "damp" to sent you a signal that there's water out there.

The radar gun is just like the water hose except instead of shooting water the radar is shooting RF energy that is traveling at 162,000'/sec... and the "trons" can bounce off of stuff and keep going!

My point about sitting the V1 on the seat is to show that the signal strength inside your car is sufficient to trigger the V1. The idea of course is to design a dector that has sufficient sensitivity to allow the driver to slow down prior to the maximum speed reading range of the radar. The V1's detection range is massive over kill versus the "lock on" range of radar units (not versus instant on). I would hope drivers start watching their speed at the first alarm from the V1 (high mount, low mount or in the seat). If they do they will be legal way before the radar can measure speed.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Go Doc and RJ! Good debate.

hehe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Placement