996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Painted wheel question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
i think the running cost of the powder coated/painted wheels in the ny area is $175/wheel.

just be aware, if you do some crazy color, you cannot powder coat the center caps, so if will be hard to have the guy match the center caps to your powder coated wheels.. ran into the issue after i had mine done... the wheels were ready and i was like.. where are my matching centercaps... then he told me, you can't powder coat them and i had to find a bodyshop to paint match them separately... greatttttt....

also, i believe most OEM/car manufacturers paint their wheels, not powder coat them, so if it's good enough for mercedes/ferrari/porsche, i think painting is okay.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
SoCal996 is on a distinguished road
Center caps cannot be powdercoated to to the material being plastic. Plastic cannot be stuck into the oven.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
racesx is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the good info.! Still could use some help with the pic and photoshop to see what it would look like ..... anyone that can help in that department???

Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
an option you can do is find a wheel shop in your area, they will have color chips on the colors they can do for your wheels, just hold up the color chips to your car and find the color you want. there is like a billion cool colors they can do with powder coating and even more with paint.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by racesx
Thanks everyone for the good info.! Still could use some help with the pic and photoshop to see what it would look like ..... anyone that can help in that department???
Not the best photo-chop in 5 minutes but it's the best I can manager with my skill level....

Old 05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
SoCal996 is on a distinguished road
Either way (black center or silver center) looks good...don't forget to save some dough and lower that bad boy

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
Not the best photo-chop in 5 minutes but it's the best I can manager with my skill level....

Thanks "FastForwardWheels" but I'm having trouble viewing the pic??? Is it something on my end or? Could you e-mail it to me if I PM you the address?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
pic shows up fine for me- and wow that looks 5,000 times better. you really need to paint those wheel centers in a satin black (no gloss black!!). +1 on lowering car on some proper coilovers, too much 4x4 action going on... lol

Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I know, I know, not diggin' the 4x look myself either .... savin' up as we speak for that one! That's why I've got that blue monster in the background too!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by racesx
Thanks "FastForwardWheels" but I'm having trouble viewing the pic??? Is it something on my end or? Could you e-mail it to me if I PM you the address?
Click on this link: CLICK-ME

That is a direct link, if you still can't view it, then you have some issues...

-Eli

Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
mfig is on a distinguished road
I don't think Eli can advertise here but I had him paint my wheels and they look fantastic. I went with a satin black for the entire rim so it's a little different than what you are doing but I couldn't be more pleased with Eli's work. I highly recommend you call him at Fast Forward Wheels. He is VERY knowledgeable about this topic...it's just about all he does.

I'll try to post some pics of mine tomorrow...

GL...

By the way, I have heard powder coating can diminish the integrity of the wheel due to baking it at such high temps. No personal experience here though...just what I have read.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Former Vendor
Don Nguyen is on a distinguished road
If it is street driving, it will last. However, the shine will not be the same as if you were to get them powdercoated, imo.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
If it is street driving, it will last. However, the shine will not be the same as if you were to get them powdercoated, imo.
Are you saying that Baked finished will not last outside of street driving when comepared to PC?

If so I'd be happy to go heads with any PC finish... I don't think I've ever seen PC out there with the smooth finish only a dual stage baked-in finish could bring.

Check-Please....

-Eli

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
mfig is on a distinguished road
here are a few pics of my wheels...Painted by Fastforwardwheels.com

Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mfig
here are a few pics of my wheels...Painted by Fastforwardwheels.com
Love to see the finial product make it's way on the car....

Glad to see some photos....

Thanks,

-Eli

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted wheel question?