996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Buying a Car ('99 996) with a Branded Title!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 PM
porschesmitten is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Buying a Car ('99 996) with a Branded Title!

Found a nice red/tan 1999 996, with 21k miles.
Did have a RMS issue, Porsche Arlington, VA replaced engine and clutch at 10k miles. Clean car, not perfect, but low mileage and a good every day car....However, it was just revealed upon title search that it has a Branded Title, Mileage Exceeds Mechanical Limit!!! Not even sure what this means and or if the title can ever be reversed? I do know, they're desperate to sell...Carmax wouldn't give them more than 26k with a branded title...
What's your opinion? Should I just do it...drive it, enjoy it and worry about trying to sell it later on? Or is this Branded title going to haunt me forever!!!!?
I'd like to drive it for awhile and use it to trade into something newer.
Thanks in advance for any insight and or input.
I'm a newbie and thrilled to have found this site...I'm reading, reading, reading and lovin' all the photographs!!!
Sherri

Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
adsc4s is on a distinguished road
If you are planning to drive it awhile and using it as a trade to upgrade, don't do it. As it is, 996 values are on the decline and with the intro of the 997, they may go down faster. And that is with a clean title.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:36 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
DONT DO IT...unless you want a car that cannot be resold for anywhere near the normal value. That title is a slavage title for a car rebuilt (no one knows how well) and then re-registered. The salvage title cannot be removed, or retitled to a normal title in most states. In some states it can be retitled, but the vin# will always show the actual history, which will state salvage. In some states, even if it has a clear title, but at one time had a salvage title, then the state will issue a salvaged title. So if you bought a car with a clear missouri title, went to register that car in nevada, the nevada dmv will get a history on the car and if it EVER had a salvaged title, then nevada will then give you a salvaged title. Even though you bought a car with a clear title. Oh, last thing. Dealers WILL NOT take a car with a salvage title in on trade.