996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Post Your High Mileage Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned
etwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really nice
^^^

Old 07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'd never daily a 911. impractical, uncomfortable, 0 peace of mind. buy a reliable beater 4x4.
That is one of the dumbest statements I have seen you post yet.

You are obviously a "poser" and not a "driver".

Old 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
I have a 99 Boxster with 165,000 miles not a 996 but still a water cooled engine.

99 Boxster
Owned for 6 years
Current 165,000 bought with 13,000

Oil changes every 10,000 miles

Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Brando
That is one of the dumbest statements I have seen you post yet.

You are obviously a "poser" and not a "driver".
you're a Geek dude

let's not pretend to think that this car is somehow practical. it's small, it's stiff, it's loud... it's a toy. it's a hoot to drive.

when it rains, when it's cold... you track crap into it... the car slides around cuz the tires are summer times unless you're a pu$$y cheapo and run crap all seasons... people look at it... you gotta look out for curbs esp if you're lowered....

i'd never ever buy a 911 that has been daily driven because there is a most definite wear/tear difference between that one that's been driven in ideal conditions for most of its life (mine).

so let's stick our heads out of the ground and stop pretending we have a commuter sedan on our hands here. get a beater for $5K and have everything you need for fun and the not as fun.

you're given out silly stupid advice to tell someone to daily drive their 911 even if they live in sunny socal.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 07-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Yeah....yeah....once again, your opinion only.

Tell all the owners in Germany that. They will laugh in your face.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
DD mine and in any weather, mine is very low and clearance is always an issue, I get around it and having that chin (splitter) helps as well. People think I'm crazy for doing that and just tell me to buy another car, I tried that and I ended up making that DD a garage queen (R56). I love my pcar, comfortable in any situation.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Brando
Yeah....yeah....once again, your opinion only.

Tell all the owners in Germany that. They will laugh in your face.
you gonna help in that call down effort or do you have a megaphone handy that u use?

you gotta be the most sensitive, nonsensical dude online bud.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Thumbs up

you gonna help in that call down effort or do you have a megaphone handy that u use?

you gotta be the most sensitive, nonsensical dude online bud.
Why thank you.

And you.....have to be the the most opioniated, argue with a fence post, Porsche poser.

Thats what keeps it interesting.

Last edited by Brando; 07-23-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
My 2002 996 C2 was 83K when I bought it 7 months ago, now 94K. Runs and looks like new. Daily driver, 500 miles a week. Minor problems that drove me crazy at the start but now, I'm over it. Clutch, RMS, control arm, coils and regular maintenance. Love it. That's the only reason I can go to work every day!

-joel

Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned
etwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really nice
^^^^ 94K and getting better with age! BEAUTIFUL, but I am partial to SY

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
What do we consider high milage, I know sports cars a generaly driven less but most of us dont drive them daily, not because we cant, but in my case just want to keep it in the best condition possible and avoid minor mishaps which can be costly.

I don't want to debate if these should be driven daily or not, I agree with both sides, the people who want to keep their cars mint wont, but to those who can affort to switch up for a new one every couple of years can, the car sure is more than capable of doing so.

Back to the point I was trying to make, why do we consider 80 or 100 miles high on a 100K auto that was engineered by some of the best. There are other cars out there that cost less new than some spend on aero kits and wheels and manage to rack up 300 000 kms. I know we always manage to put more than 300 000 kms on our cargo vans which the guys treat like crap and would forget about regular maintenance if I did'nt schedule it myself.

So would'nt 100 000miles on a well engineered car that is usually maintained to higher standards and frequency than average cars, be considered avg.

Im sure if a Ford cargo can go for 300, so can a porsche? Or am I wrong?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I think this in large part comes down to what your daily driving entails. I put about 100+ miles on my car every day and the majority of that is in traffic on some of the worst streets in the country. I chose an older mercedes sedan for DD because it is comfy, automatic, and quiet. A lot of business gets done on the phone in traffic.

If I were 5 miles from work I would table the calls and drive the heck out of the 911 every single day... no questions asked.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
'03 w/63k mi

Runs like a top (knock on wood)...does not burn oil.

I enjoy it immensely but not practical for me for a DD...

Don't drive it:

December-March if low temperatures or snow/salt/sand is on roads.

If the ground is wet or if there's a decent probably of rain in the forecast. (Lack of traction and I hate hard water stains).

If driving to a business appointment (~1/2 the work week)

If I need to haul something large

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
JoeyM will become famous soon enough
you're a Geek dude

let's not pretend to think that this car is somehow practical. it's small, it's stiff, it's loud... it's a toy. it's a hoot to drive.

when it rains, when it's cold... you track crap into it... the car slides around cuz the tires are summer times unless you're a pu$$y cheapo and run crap all seasons... people look at it... you gotta look out for curbs esp if you're lowered....

i'd never ever buy a 911 that has been daily driven because there is a most definite wear/tear difference between that one that's been driven in ideal conditions for most of its life (mine).

so let's stick our heads out of the ground and stop pretending we have a commuter sedan on our hands here. get a beater for $5K and have everything you need for fun and the not as fun.

you're given out silly stupid advice to tell someone to daily drive their 911 even if they live in sunny socal.
lots of incorrect statements here. i dont know why i am bothering to reply, i guess i'm bored. but let's see:

1. you have to stop arguing "practical". because practicality and sports cars never go together. you are not being practical either, because to be practical would be to not buy a porsche at all in the first place. just by buying one, you are being impractical. who is more practical: someone who blows a lot of money on a toy he only enjoys on the weekends, or someone who blows a little more money but enjoys his toy everyday?

2. yet as a daily commuter it is very practical for a lot of reasons. "it's small" is a good thing. it's easy to park, has great visibility and gets much better mileage than an SUV. i am sure the majority of time on the average americans commute, their vehicle transports one person. why do you need something bigger? for your briefcase? even a door to door encyclopedia salesman would have enough room for a couple of sets.

3. "people look at you"? first who cares? and second, my silver 996TT gets pretty much no attention where i live. except maybe when i'm blowing by subarus traveling 40 mph and i'm moving along at 45 mph in a blizzard. "watch out for curbs"? how often do you hit curbs? if i commuted in my soft cushy luxury sedan, i would still avoid curbs. even in my 3500 pickup, i dont hit curbs. and the roads are horrible in the northeast, and i havent bent one yet. and if you do, excuse to buy new wheels, which you like to do anyways.

4. it's stiff and loud? again, that's personal preference. i would rather listen to the motor and have that tight suspension for the turns than travel in a numb luxury sedan. i think a lot of people on this board may feel the same way. i have a bunch of cars, everyday i walk pass a line of keys. i honestly just grab the porsche keys cuz its straight up the easiest and most "practical" of my sporty cars to drive on a long commute and the sedan with the sick sound system and cushy ride doesnt appeal at all to me most of the time.

5. you track crap into it? yeah well, cars get dirty, and there's always this new invention called a vacuum. you would never buy a porsche that was a DD? again, who cares. maybe he never plans to sell it. maybe he will keep it long enough, so that the difference in resale value between high mileage and low mileage cars will be minimal. or maybe he makes enough money not to care about resale value. cuz again, if resale really matters to you, be practical and dont buy a porsche at all.

6. get a beater for $5k? maybe he just doesn't want to drive a $5k POS every day. i know i dont. and i actually own one car that could fit in this category. funny, i never want to drive it.

7. listen, you are at the stage in your life, where this car is your show vehicle. or it's your fun vehicle, weekend vehicle, whatever. i understand that. i've owned (and still own) garage queens. (and btw, those cars get driven in bad weather too, but the only reason i dont commute in those, is that they will in fact break if i used them like the porsches and those do attract too much attention).

BUT the OP asked if he could drive it like an accord. the answer to this simple question is YES. the car is reliable enough to do so as proven by many here. to say that this is stupid advice is really short-sighted.

who knows, maybe to the OP, this will be his $5k beater.

anyways, flame away!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
hatr is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^^^^^

awesome post

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post Your High Mileage Porsche