996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

while I'm in there...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
while I'm in there...

I'm kicking around installing some PSS9s, and was just wondering if there were any other wear items that I should look at while I'm in there. 48k mile old 03 Cab. Strut bearings? shock mounts?

Also, anyone have pics of the install in the rear? Mainly concerned about getting to the strut tops.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 AM
The Dark Knight is on a distinguished road
No pics. Once you begin to open the top from the closed position and let the clamshell articulate backwards until it stops and after the the top disconnects from the front hook, you will have access to the rear shelf behind the back seat. Disconnect the convertible top cables from their posts, lift the rear end of top forward. Detach the carpet upholstery plugs and pull the rear shelf carpet out, lift the ends of the sound dampening insulation and voila, shock/strut tower top mount nuts

I will let those who have installed PSS9s/10s detail what other items need attention while you're there.

TDK

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 10-07-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
No pics. Once you begin to open the top from the closed position and let the clamshell articulate backwards until it stops and after the the top disconnects from the front hook, you will have access to the rear shelf behind the back seat. Disconnect the convertible top cables from their posts, lift the rear end of top forward. Detach the carpet upholstery plugs and pull the rear shelf carpet out, lift the ends of the sound dampening insulation and voila, shock/strut tower top mount nuts

I will let those who have installed PSS9s/10s detail what other items need attention while you're there.

TDK
Thanks much! I'll try to take some pictures while I'm in there, since I couldn't find any. Sounds easy enough, definitely better than my freaking M Roadster which required pulling out the shelf the top sat on!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Yeah, I would replace both strut bearings and mounts while doing the job. Mine were hammered at 36k.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by RocC4S
Yeah, I would replace both strut bearings and mounts while doing the job. Mine were hammered at 36k.
Cool, thanks. I hear the 997 parts are an upgrade, any truth to that?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
The Dark Knight is on a distinguished road
Renntech has some applicable pics in this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6967

TDK