996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
This would probably be the easiest/cheapest solution to add bigger brakes that are a direct fit.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...6brakeupgrades

Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Guys, please keep this on topic and do not recommend other kits. I've seen them but I'm asking about DIY info on THIS particular situation.

A

Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Purplxd
I spoke to someone that has been doing performance Porsche brakes for over 30 years and he's done it. Cost and work to replace carriers and a MC is nor difficult or relatively expensive.
That's great! Now you have your answer and a source of experience to draw upon. Let us know how it turns out, and show pics of your work along they way so others can benefit in the future. I've seen this come up before and like you said it always ended up being a replacement kit discussion. Someone has to blaze the new trails.

Last edited by deckman; 11-30-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
one thing to consider is your nb stock wheels might not fit with the bigger brake setup... something to look into.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I would assume by the lack of response here, that's it's probably a pain in the **** to make these work or everyone would be doing it. TT brakes show up on ebay all the time and they're reasonably cheap. There must be a catch. If you have a guy that's a porche brake expert who's done this before, why don't you just follow his advice?

Good luck on the project.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
talk to SHARKWERKS.... link in the left...

they SELL a Turbo brake kit for our (C2) cars...so im sure they can help you with getting the rest of the bits... plus there is a fellow canuck working there!

i just checked and they dont list it anymore...but i know that they did have it...

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Smile

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I would assume by the lack of response here, that's it's probably a pain in the **** to make these work or everyone would be doing it. TT brakes show up on ebay all the time and they're reasonably cheap. There must be a catch. If you have a guy that's a porche brake expert who's done this before, why don't you just follow his advice?

Good luck on the project.

That is the plan... wheel carriers and a MC and I'm set to go. As to the wheels I'm putting on 19" so no worries on clearance.

I think there is a lack of response as well due to the fact that a lot of people don't take on much DIY with a Porsche and rather have a shop do it. Shops will usually push more new bolt on kits than custom swaps from different models, so its obviously a rare way. Perhaps if I write up a good DIY with costs, more people will be into it!

I've been around the building of cars from the ground up since I was born so taking apart a Porsche is just like any other car for me. In fact, they are even more simple than a lot of the cars I've worked on which is nice.

A

Last edited by Purplxd; 11-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Why are you doing a new MC? Seems like all the other big brake kits use the stock one.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
That's an interesting point!

In talking to the person I found, he said that a C2 MC is not large enough to handle the requirements of upgraded brakes. To get the true performance of the upgrade, an upgrade of the MC is required.

It may be an oversight of the bolt on kits, or it may just be within the requirements to stay C2 MC.. not sure. All I know is this guy knows his stuff so I take the recommendation to heart.

Cheers
A

Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 PM
oneeyedjack is on a distinguished road
More mud for the water.............

With a larger master cylinder, I am curious if the ABS pump may need upgrading as well. Has this been considered?

Keep us posted. Very interested in the outcome.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
dude.. why are you doing all this stuff... you still wont be faster than me in my "stock" C2!!

;-)

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by oneeyedjack
More mud for the water.............

With a larger master cylinder, I am curious if the ABS pump may need upgrading as well. Has this been considered?

Keep us posted. Very interested in the outcome.
That's an interesting point. I'll talk to the person I've been consulting with on his opinions. He didn't make mention of it so I'd assume its okay, but we all know about assumptions...

I'll for sure keep this posted. As I said I'll include my costs as well so people can decide if its even worth it.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by silver_6r
dude.. why are you doing all this stuff... you still wont be faster than me in my "stock" C2!!

;-)
Haha, we'll see at the next AutoX in Spring.

Just picked up my drop links, rear control arms, 19" wheels with new tires, GT3 seat, harnesses, sway bars, and a few other odds and ends today... going to be busy in my garage this winter!

A

Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Haha, we'll see at the next AutoX in Spring.

Just picked up my drop links, rear control arms, 19" wheels with new tires, GT3 seat, harnesses, sway bars, and a few other odds and ends today... going to be busy in my garage this winter!

A
post pics of the ride!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Here it is now:

http://emeraldapple.com/Emerald_Appl...ero_Kit.html#1

I'll be updating pics once I get all the work done for the spring.

Cheers
Aaron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...