996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
If you're getting the front 996T wheel carriers and MC then you'll be looking at about $1650-$1700 new. Used, of course, is a different story.

I'd at least check with Mark over at Brembo to get this offhand advice on doing the upgrade. In the 996T Brake thread over in that forum he had really great advice regarding the effects of the ABS system and MC's when swapping out calipers from another car.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
Changing the MC will screw up the anti-lock braking system computer. Be careful...

Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Changing the MC will screw up the anti-lock braking system computer. Be careful...
Can you explain how? Do you mean if its done with the battery connected? Connected incorrectly? Or if its done at all?

Cheers
A

Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Ran it past my expert and he said as long as the car is switched off there are no issues. I'll disconnect the neg terminal to be safe.

By the way, I'm talking with Steve at Rennsport Systems... really knows his stuff! http://rennsportsystems.com

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 PM
STDFAST is on a distinguished road
Turbo vs GT3 Brakes

Originally Posted by asialors996
If i were you i would do a GT3 Brake upgrade...Steve at Suncoast can sell you the wheel carriers you need.
Ok... can someone explain the difference between the turbo and the GT3 brakes? Why would it be better to have the GT3 over the turbo. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
The GT3's have 6-piston front calipers while the Turbo has 4-piston. And bigger rotors and pads.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 AM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
AND a big issue us 996 guys have when we lower our cars is that we create a good bit of bump steer in the process by changing the geometry on the toe-arm angle.

The GT3 brakes will bolt direct up to the stock GT3 carriers, cup car carriers or GT3 RS wheel carriers. In order those all have revised and better geometry for the toe-arms to eliminate bump steer when the cars are lowered. If you guys saw how drastic the toe change gets when the cars are lowered you'd be shocked. I'm below GT3 height but above cup car height and even with bump steer adjustable toe-links on my car I still have alot of bump steer due to the stock wheel carriers.

However, the OP already stated he got a killer deal on the turbo brakes which are going to be an improvement over the stock system and for not much money when he's all done with everything.

Andy
Originally Posted by SuncoastSteve
The GT3's have 6-piston front calipers while the Turbo has 4-piston. And bigger rotors and pads.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Ya the GT3 is a sweet setup, but the budget does start to go through the roof quite quickly.

I'm looking to stick with a GT3 height specification so we'll see how negative the bump steer issue is with the Turbo wheel carriers.

A

Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I track my C2 quite a bit and with upgraded brake ducts, pads and fluid I've never found myself wanting or needing more braking power?
Which ducts did you go with?

I picked up some 997GT3 ducts the other day. However my mechanic said that they're a waste of money so I'll probably return them. He said they're about the same size as the 996C2 ducts so they really don't add any benefit. He also said that the 7GT3 has duct work in the bumper for the brakes that works in conjunction with the other ducts which is why the similarly sized ducts work on the 7GT3.

He suggested 996 cup car brake ducts. I'm still trying to get a price on those. The GT3RS ducts are crazy expensive. I've held them in my hand. They are quite a bit bigger, but damn it's plastic. The RS ducts are literally like 10x what the 7GT3 ducts cost.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 AM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
I have the 997 GT3 ducts on my car. Your mechanis is correct in that they aren't MUCH better than the stock 996 ducts...and about the same as the 996 GT3 ducts, but in my comparisons they did offer some additional volume under the control arm to capture air and get it up to the rotor. For the $16 I paid for the pair I suppose they're considered cheap insurance if nothing else as my car's pretty low and I catch the ducts on speed bumps from time to time if I"m not careful.

I'm going to put the cup car ducts on my car next season as they're a drastic improvement over any of the other ducts. They're $250ish and usually they're cheaper through race teams like TRG than through any dealers. However there's no way I'll be able to run them on the street so I'll have to install and un-install them for each track day.

Andy
Originally Posted by deputydog95

I picked up some 997GT3 ducts the other day. However my mechanic said that they're a waste of money so I'll probably return them. He said they're about the same size as the 996C2 ducts so they really don't add any benefit. He also said that the 7GT3 has duct work in the bumper for the brakes that works in conjunction with the other ducts which is why the similarly sized ducts work on the 7GT3.

He suggested 996 cup car brake ducts. I'm still trying to get a price on those. The GT3RS ducts are crazy expensive. I've held them in my hand. They are quite a bit bigger, but damn it's plastic. The RS ducts are literally like 10x what the 7GT3 ducts cost.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of

yeah theyre quite a bit more money... but Ive never had any brake fade with them on, with stock ducts, Ive had them fade on me...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I have the 997 GT3 ducts on my car. Your mechanis is correct in that they aren't MUCH better than the stock 996 ducts...and about the same as the 996 GT3 ducts, but in my comparisons they did offer some additional volume under the control arm to capture air and get it up to the rotor. For the $16 I paid for the pair I suppose they're considered cheap insurance if nothing else as my car's pretty low and I catch the ducts on speed bumps from time to time if I"m not careful.

I'm going to put the cup car ducts on my car next season as they're a drastic improvement over any of the other ducts. They're $250ish and usually they're cheaper through race teams like TRG than through any dealers. However there's no way I'll be able to run them on the street so I'll have to install and un-install them for each track day.

Andy
So if the 996 ducts and 7GT3 ducts are the same size, what if any improvement do they offer? I haven't seen these two ducts side by side yet.

Are you scraping the 7GT3 ducts on the street?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Redridge
yeah theyre quite a bit more money... but Ive never had any brake fade with them on, with stock ducts, Ive had them fade on me...
Thanks for the pics. Do you drive your car on the street? And if so, how bad are they? Do they scrape worse than the front end?

My car is lowered on Bilstein's and has the turbo front end. I'm constant dragging that front lip. Should I assume that these ducts would probably be worse?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of

Andy
Andy, Ive had them on my car for over 2 years... yes at times I do hit ground with them, and they are still holding up. I scrape my front spoiler alot more than I scrape the ducts...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the pics. Do you drive your car on the street? And if so, how bad are they? Do they scrape worse than the front end?

My car is lowered on Bilstein's and has the turbo front end. I'm constant dragging that front lip. Should I assume that these ducts would probably be worse?
Like Andy mention... on very high speed bumps they will scrape.... but only on high speed when the shocks take the initial hit and when the car comes back down far enough they will scrape for an instant. But only on unique road and speed conditions... honestly Im surprised how well they've held up. I have a lift and look at the conditions of them and they dont take hits like the way the front spoiler does since it is mounted perpendicular to the front spoiler... not even close. On the city however... forget about it. Im on PSS9's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 TT Brakes on a C2 - Not a debate...