996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED taillights - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jstrat85
this is what i want but led version. it has a light smoke and then its red.
J,

I think you want the red/smoked then

but you can make the final call when the red/clear gets here

Edwin

Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
turbo turbo is on a distinguished road
when you get them for the 996 turbo i'm in..

Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Wow they really do look great on Oranges car really updates it a lot. Want them on my car ASAP!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
orangec2 will become famous soon enough
Installation and fitment on NB C2

Guys,
I apologize for getting these in so late. My work schedule has been pretty hectic this last week.
I went and met up with Tony from Precision Porsche on Sunday afternoon to see and test fit their new LED lights on my car.
The finish on these is pretty good, they fit in the stock slots and I was impressed with how the lines stayed consistent with the spacing between the assembly and the panels. Just to let you know, I replaced all of my old tail light bulbs with "High Intensity" bulbs. So, they are much brighter than stock bulbs. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Installation:
1. Open rear hood.
2. Remove old nut that is in your old housing.
3. Take old light assembly out of slots.
4. Unscrew the bulb housings for the old bulbs. These have unique slotting narrow on top and wide on bottom. This means that the housing will only insert and remove in a certain way. You will keep your old "Reverse light bulb", "Fog light bulb, and the little side marker bulb.
5. Remove (2) bulbs. (1) is turn signal-single contact on bottom of bulb, (1) is brake light, night light combo bulb - dual contacts on bottom of bulb. Each of these bulbs has unique offset of posts on each side. This means that the bulb will only go in a certain way.
6. Screw in the bulb ends from the new LED light assembly. This were they did homework. The LED assembly sits inside the housing and the wires are connected to light bulb ends that you simply plug and play. The bulb ends match the pattern of the old bulbs so you can't mix them up.
Tony said that you don't use the little side marker bulb because there is a reflector there. If that's the case you just remove the bulb and cover the end of the connector.
7. Place new assembly in receiving slots and install new bolt.
8. Check lights, turn signal, hazards, night light, and braking.
9. Close rear hood.
10. Enjoy!!!!

Attached Images      
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
J,

I think you want the red/smoked then

but you can make the final call when the red/clear gets here

Edwin
these look to dark?? i think the pics are not that great?? im going to wait and see the clear/red. if they look nice im going to get those. if not maybe get the all clear and make them myself.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Few more pictures

Here are few more pics comparing the LED's to the OEM with "High Intensity" bulbs and fitment.

Hope this helps those who are on the fence. I would like to know what the warranty is on the lights. But it does inprove the looks and they will be stunning at night.

OrangeC2

Attached Images      
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
for some reason they look weak!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
They do look a little weak but i think he said that he changed his bulbs to a much brighter bulb then stock. Are those The smoked red/clear ?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by HxCforlife
They do look a little weak but i think he said that he changed his bulbs to a much brighter bulb then stock. Are those The smoked red/clear ?
so that means that they need to be brighter than stock? right? and what do you mean by changeing the light bulbs? i have led tail lights on my mercedes and the only place i used the same light bulb was for the reverse and the turn signal??

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned
these are my led tail lights on my mercedes. look how they look oem.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Yea i think the Non smoked red/clear will hopefully look more like those on your Benz guess time will tell when they come......

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
jstrat85,
I mean that the light bulbs in my old housing are the "High Intensity" bulbs. My old reverse, night/brake, and turn signal are brighter than stock light bulbs. That is one reason they look brighter than the LED's. If you take a look at the back of the light assembly on my first set of pictures you will see the connectors that you plug in and the open holes for the "Fog" and "Reverse" light bulbs from your old set of lights.
As far as the pictures looking darker, my camera's aperture set itself down to reduce the glare.

OrangeC2
Hope this clears things up a big.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Picture of 996 LED compared to a stock 997 assmebly

Tony did have a stock 997 light assembly there which I took a picture comparing the two.

OrangeC2

Attached Images     
Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by HxCforlife
Yea i think the Non smoked red/clear will hopefully look more like those on your Benz guess time will tell when they come......
im going to wait and see the red and clear. cant wait!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Yea man very excited to put these on the car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED taillights - Thoughts?