996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 - Laser Diffuser/Jammer Installation - DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
That's true DD, that's where I originally wanted to install them. The issue was not only about the blocking of air flow, but I didn't want to drill it into the body to mount... maybe you will have more success but I have the Aero bumper and there was nothing to mount to but the metal body.

Again, at least its something to start with for everyone as when I looked there was nothing out there...

I used the radio switched power source.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
How do I access the radio pwr source?
Thank you!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I don't like drilling holes in anything, but for the heads I am either going to do that or heavy duty velcro them on. I have a GT3 bumper so if it ever comes time to take them off I'll get the damage repaired and painted.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Double sided tape may be another option to avoid drilling.

I still like the footwell switch...

Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mathism
Double sided tape may be another option to avoid drilling.
There you go! Heavy duty 3m DST will do the trick no problem. Use zip ties behind the bumper on the cabling for extra insurance. You'll still need a bracket as just plain taping the head to the bumper won't allow you to properly angle the heads.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Where is the best place to mount the heads on a Turbo?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
The top of the left and bright brake ducts.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I finally did mine, mostly following Aaron's lead. Again, thank you for the thorough write up. By far the biggest pain was removing and reinstalling the bumper. Once it was off running the wires was fairly simple. Aligning the heads so they aren't facing in our out wasn't a piece of cake either.

I decided not to drill the bumper and instead used 3M molding tape. We'll see how that holds up. I haven't been able to test the setup and am not really sure how to short of renting a laser gun from someone.

Attached are some pics, not nearly as good as Aaron's. Had he not already done the heavy lifting I would have documented everything completely.

Attached Images      

Last edited by deckman; 04-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
SXN
Please let us know how the tape holds after a few high speed pulls.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I gotta share something with you guys about Laser Interceptor. There is a thread on Radardector.net about the customer service provided by Cliff, the LI distributor. Somebody posted that their switch wasn't lighting up and Cliff was accommodating in getting a new switch. Well I am having the same issue and posted a comment saying I'd need to get in touch with LI about it, figuring I'd get to it in a couple days. Less than 10 minutes later, my cell phone rings and it's Cliff!!! We spent a few minutes troubleshooting and he determined I needed a new wiring harness and he's sending it out right away.

I have never had an experience like that, have you?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I'm interested to hear from some of you about how well this works. Like, you saw a cop point a laser radar at you and he wasn't able to get a lock on, etc.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 AM
I will report back about any success or (gulp) failure I have. I have reluctantly decided to put my license plate back on the car since they are required here and I don't want to give a LEO a reason to pull me over and then possibly start asking about the little black things in the in the bumper.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
how much did you pay for the jammers?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
PM'd jstrat85

Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
SXN
Can someone tell me which wire is the radio pwr?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 - Laser Diffuser/Jammer Installation - DIY