996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Standard lip on HRE rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:24 AM
vinnam is on a distinguished road
Question Standard lip on HRE rims

This might be kind of a dumb question but all those HRE owners out there might be able to answer me...

How "deep" is the standard lip on the HRE 542R? I mean do they come in difference "depths"? I have seen people in this forum with 5" lips etc. I am just wondering whether this is normal for HREs as well.

Thanks,

Vincent.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
there is no "standard" really, cuz all HREs are custom, but for 996 narrow, I would say 2" front and 3" rear.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
I see. What would be best for a C4S Cab?

Old 10-05-2004, 02:44 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
Originally posted by vinnam
I see. What would be best for a C4S Cab?
2" front and 3.5" or 4" rear

Old 10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Many thanks...

If anyone is interested on how HRE makes its rims... here's a good link...

http://www.cncmagazine.com/archive01/v2i07/v2i07j.htm

the time and effort sure makes the product commands such a premium.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Re: Standard lip on HRE rims

How "deep" is the standard lip on the HRE 542R? I mean do they come in difference "depths"?
Common misconception..........and it's one of those "which come first, the chicken or the egg".............you really do not order a lip dimension.
You order the offset you desire (in the diameter and wheel width you want, ie. 18" 10J).

Lip or rim depth on an 18" 10J of a particular wheel model...... is a 'result' of the offset you have requested....ie where you want the sidewall of the tire to be relative to the car body. I'm not saying there are not "common" lip depths, because there are, common wheel sizes.

Theoretically, you could order a very low offset, have an incredibly deep lip.......and need to rip your fenders off in order to have that set-up fit in there (ie beyond what we call "fender preparation"

What does all this mean?.........all I can say is, I have custom wheels for all the cars........1st I determine, through research & pics what offset I want, 2.)ideally what tire make & size options are avail that I like, 3.)what wheel designs are in the running, then 4.)whether I want traditional lip or reverse drop (flat) lip, then 5.)whether the wheel & tires I want are avail in the combo 6.)compromise, if nec & decide.

Good luck to ya

Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Don Relentless will become famous soon enough
a narrow body can fit a 4" in the rear depending on caliper size and style of wheel. a c4s can run a 5" lip in the rear once again depending on caliper and style. i know most people say that the standard for HRE is a 3" rear lip with a thick hub, but if your ordering a custom wheel you might as well make a thinner hub and deeper lip, the wheel will actually be lighter and stronger since the cars load will be directly applied throught the spokes.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HKE46Boy
yup, what he said

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 10-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by HKE46Boy
There are many other companies out there that can put a 4" lip on the narrowbody and 5" lip on the turbo and C4s

Old 10-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys... I have made a decision. Will post pics when I have installed them... in the meantime, here's a pic of my other car with its new rims... will need to lower it a bit in the near future.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned
RRevolution is on a distinguished road
Just curious, where are you located at?

Old 10-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I am located in Hong Kong. Why?

Old 10-08-2004, 04:34 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
I am located in Hong Kong. Why?
No....is Kowloon!

Old 10-08-2004, 04:59 PM
So you were originally from Kowloon? Hong Kong is a small place and yet the distinguishment of Hong Kong, Kowloon and the New Territories are quite defined.

Any I am on the Hong Kong Island side.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:34 PM
996 MPH is on a distinguished road
Need info on maximum allowable lip sizes on HRE 540/543 series wheel for 996 narrowbody. Application of 19x8.5 (2" lip) & 19x11 (3" or more lip), is this possible. If offsets are also available please advice.

TIA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standard lip on HRE rims