996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Power Locks, Rear Defroster, and interior lights stopped working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
adnanm3 can only hope to improve
Power Locks, Rear Defroster, and interior lights stopped working?

I have a 99 C2 Manual. Last week, I noticed the interior lights stopped working. When the door opens or when I try to switch the lights on, it will not turn on (all 3 of them).
Then, I noticed that the power locks do not work. If i turn the key to lock the driver side door, only that door will lock. The passenger side door remains unlocked. I also cannot open the hood (the latch will not press down - as it does when the doors are locked). The defroter switch and the door lock switch do not work at all.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The first thing I did was check the fuse box by the drivers side seat. All of the fuses seem fine.
Has anyone experienced somehting like this?

I dont know if this is related at all, but my alarm system hasn't been working for about a year. The button on the keys does not activate/deactivate it. I usually turn the keys twice to activate the alarm. Not sure if this is related at all, since it has always been this way.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
johnnytaboo is on a distinguished road
The list of problems on my 99 isn't THAT severe, however I have had issues with the tumbler and the placement of my key: I have found that I have to start the car then gently turn the key back two "clicks" in order to get ANY of my accessories to work (headlights, wipers, a/c, ect.)

In regards to the "key only locking one door" issue, I have also experienced that. I did find though, that it only locked the one door when I only slightly turn the key. Whenever I fully turn the key everything locks (with the exception of my gas tank which makes a rapid clicking noise instead.... another problem I haven't found time to address).

My alarm also stopped working some time ago. I figured it must have been my fault and probably occurred when I changed the battery in the key.

Even if none of this helps, I was atleast hoping you would feel better knowing yours wasn't the only old 996 with issues.

-John

Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
adnanm3 can only hope to improve
Thanks for the input John. I tried to click the key back after I started it but had no luck. I think we have different problems in our cars.
I was almost positive this was a fuse problem, but all of the fuses are fine.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem or have any ideas?

Let me know before I take it to a shop.