996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trunk lid opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
walks357 is on a distinguished road
Trunk lid opening

My trunk lid has suddenly started to open when I use the remote to unlock the car door. The trunk lid opens as normal with the trunk release remote button but it is also opening when I press on the door release button. I also noticed today that the trunk popped open as I came to a stop in my driveway, put the car in first gear and pulled up on the emergency brake, I had not touched the key. Strange... The 'trunk lid open' indicator never comes on in the dash. I tried disconnecting the battery but the same issue returned. Anyone have any suggestions or magic reset sequences?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:49 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
walks, I know you saw my post on rennlist, but I'm posting the answer here too in case it'll help somebody else. I've seen people posting this at least once a month!

Here's the magic fix: Vacuum out the trunk/engine hatch buttons located on the floor by the driver's door sill. This problem is caused by small specks of sand/dirt getting into them. I had this problem several times. The first time, the dealer replaced the security control unit and the problem went away. Simple, right? Nope, the problem came back in a few thousand miles, and there were some other weird behaviors (like your remote problem, I had the same thing). Replacing the unit wasn't what fixed the problem, it was the vacuuming they gave the car before returning it! This was a bad design by Porsche to put those buttons right where your feet pass over them every time you get in and out of the car. Every time I had issues after that, I'd just blow on the buttons really hard to clean out the junk and it would fix the problem. I didn't even need to vacuum them, just blowing on them got enough crap out to fix the problem temporarily.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
walks - i am interested to see if this solution works...wierd one LOL

Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
walks had posted on rennlist that before seeing my post, he fiddled with the buttons and it fixed the problem temporarily. I had been able to fix it this way too because it shifted the dirt around in there. It also caused these behaviors:
Engine hatch cover would pop open unexpectedly.
The car would beep at me after locking it as if I had left something open, but everything was shut.
I got locked in the car once. Every time I unlocked the doors, they would instantly lock themselves again. This was late on a Friday night on the roof of my company garage, and I didn't have my phone with me. I thought I was going to have to break the window to get out! (This was before I knew what was causing the problems.)
The feature of the memory seats that moves them based on what key you use to unlock the car stopped working.

I think there were some other issues, but I can't remember them!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:50 AM
walks357 is on a distinguished road
Yes, a couple of hard taps on the inside hood release button appears to have corrected the problem. It was wierd, the hood would release at various times, while driving, while parked, just about anytime and NEVER did I get a warning message on the instrument cluster. I need to have the dealer look at that.