996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Lost Reverse and 1st??

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
immyj is on a distinguished road
Lost Reverse and 1st??

Hi Guys, trying to pull out of my driveway this morning, reverse was grinding a bit, then it wouldn't go in at all. I tried 1st to get back into the driveway - and that didn't work either. However, I have 2nd-6th gear.

I have my 996 for about 3 weeks.

Anyone experience this before?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
It just happened all of a sudden this morning. Was trying to get it into reverse, it wouldn't engage, then just wasn't able to get it in there. This is when I tried the other gears. With my foot off the clutch, I can go as far as possible toward reverse and first, and nothing - no grinding, no nothing. It's like it's in neutral.

Sorry, it's a '99 996.

When I say grinding, I mean like someone not using the clutch properly. Yes, I use it properly, just can't get those gears in now, and cannot physically go any farther with the shifter.

Clutch works perfectly fine for the other gears. I drove it back into the driveway in 2nd gear, and will be driving it to my mechanic later, just without 1st and reverse.

Previous owner never did anything to the tranny.

I had a throughout PPI about 3 weeks ago. I called my independent porshce mechanic, and he said he removed a tie wrap from the shift linkage, and "fixed it the way it should be". I'm going to take it back to him to have him check his fix.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Yep, just as suspected, it was the shift linkage cables - they had came loose from the side of the transmission. We placed them back in the connector, and just used bigger zipties to secure them. Sorry, didn't get any pics.
They said Porshce does't make anything to keep them in there, I'd have to buy all new cables - so that's not worth it, the tie wraps will be fine.