996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The Official 6speedonline/Tail of the Dragon Meet December 4-6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:53 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The Official 6speedonline/Tail of the Dragon Meet December 4-6

6SpeedOnline/Tail of the Dragon Meet

OK Gentlemen, this is it. This is the official thread with the official agenda and itinerary so listen up!!!
This promises to be the event to end all other events, come one, come all!!

Date:

Friday, December 5 and Saturday, December 6, 2003
Guests can stay through Sunday, however, space is limited. Those wishing to stay through Sunday must act quickly since there are very few rooms left for Saturday night.

Place:
Haywood Park Hotel
One Battery Park Avenue
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
www.haywoodpark.com
Mrs. Lauri Nichols
Mr. Mike Park

Itinerary:
Thursday, Dec. 4, Evening/Friday, Dec. 5, Morning
Leave at the appropriate time based on your location. Meet up, form convoys, have fun!!

The route for the NJ/NY/PA crew has been worked out. We will be following Route 81 all the way to Route 77 at the western side of Virginia. At that point we will meet up with BuddyG and his clan, if they will step up to the plate!! We will then proceed south on Route 77 to Route 58 East to Route 52 South to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Fancy Gap, VA. We will then follow the BRP for the last 120 miles into Asheville. Here are some pics of this great road:

Friday, Dec. 5, 8-11am
All parties arrive at the Haywood Park Hotel.

Friday, Dec. 5, 12:00pm
Assemble in hotel lobby for Driver's meeting. Please feed your bellies prior to the driver's meeting as we will be leaving immediately after the meeting.YOU MUST ARRIVE WITH A FRS RADIO!!! Tune to Channel 7, Sub 0

Friday, Dec. 5, 12:00pm-6:00pm
Drive to "Tail of the Dragon" to run it. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ For those that don't know, this is the stuff of legend. 318 turns in 11 miles. That equates to 29 turns every mile!!! The trip to and from the Tail of the Dragon should be just as much fun as the Tail run itself!! We will be on a pretty tight schedule so we ask that everyone is prompt.

Friday, Dec. 5, 7:00pm
Buffet group dinner in our own private room in the hotel. The food will be provided by the Flying Frog Cafe. There will be a cash bar. The cost for dinner will be approximately $50/pp which includes tax and gratuity. Dinner cost will need to be paid in advance and I need a headcount.

Friday, Dec. 5, evening
Celebrate Colin's birthday!!

Saturday, Dec.6, 7:00am SHARP!!
Roll through Biltmore Mansion Gates and assemble in front of Mansion for a group photo with the mansion as a backdrop. We have confirmed this with the mansion administration.

Saturday, Dec. 6, morning
Engage in our own "People's Choice" car show.

Saturday, Dec.6, morning
Buffet breakfast ($27/pp) and awards ceremony at the Stable Cafe at the Mansion. We will present a series of awards. Some are surprise awards whereas others are listed below in order to allow you guys time to prepare if necessary:
  • Farthest distance traveled to the event.
  • Highest (substantiated) horsepower.
  • Lowest suspension.
  • Highest mileage.
  • Lowest mileage.
  • Most modifications (To be eligible for this award, you must PM me a comprehensive list of your "Mods" prior to December. The PM should list mods as a group when applicable. So, what constitutes a mod you ask? Well, as an example, 4 wheels do not count as 4 mods. Wheels and tires should be grouped as 1 mod. Springs and shocks count as 1 mod, swaybars count as a separate mod. Individual bodyparts will count as individual mods. Seats count as one mod. Audio upgrades=1 mod. Video upgrades=1 mod. Individual electronic upgrades=1 mod for each. Any conflicts will be left to the discretion of the judges, yes, that is Colin and myself!)
  • Peoples' choice award from car show.
  • Best photograph of your car (framed/unframed).
  • Best Porsche Dog-Fight Story (Fiction or Non-Fiction) about a battle with another car/motorcycle to be read @ Friday night's dinner. Stories must be submitted in writing by check-in Friday with winner chosen by event participants.

Saturday, Dec. 6, early afternoon
Depart meet and head home

Saturday, Dec. 6, 9-10pm
Arrive home.

We have reserved two floors of rooms at the hotel equating to 21 rooms for Friday night only. The rooms are:
  • Master Suite - approximately 800 square feet with combo jacuzzi/shower
  • Superior Suite - approximately 800 square feet with garden tub and separate shower
  • Grand Suite - approximately 1,200 square feet (3 rooms) with separate jacuzzi and shower

Our discounted room prices are $145.00/night for either a Master or Superior Suite and $225.00/night for a Grand Suite. There are only a few Grand Suites.

Some rooms have a single king sized bed whereas others have 2 queen sized beds. Please call the hotel to determine what works for your particular situation. Please reserve King rooms whenever possible to leave double queens for parties that require separate beds. Thanks.

When you call the hotel, please use the password 6speedonline to obtain our preset rates and our assigned block of rooms. You will be required to leave a credit card number to hold your room.

Room prices include continental breakfast delivered to your room.

The hotel has a guarded parking garage with security cameras so even the most precious babies will be well cared for.

As I stated in the previous thread, Colin and I are jointly organizing this meet. We have both already reserved our rooms and you guys should do the same post haste to insure you get what you want.

This should be one hell of a meet! If you are in doubt, just do it, you will not regret it!! If the recent NJ/PA meet was any indication, it should be a winner!
Please keep posts on this thread focused on this subject to make it easy for Colin and I to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks everyone and We look forward to seeing all of you!!

Incidentally, the NJ/NY convoy will be taking a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway on our way down. This in itself is worth the trip. It is real turbo tarmac!

Please be kind enough to send me a PM indicating that you have reserved a room, your full name, email, cell phone and how many are in your party. I will continually update this post so that we can see at a glance who is attending.

So far we have the following confirmed attendees:

Ken (KPV) (NJ) (02TT-IA600)
Colin (Colin@PES) (PA) (Car??)
Tony (Tony@PES) (PA) (Car??)
Sean (Sean) (NJ) (02TT-Ruf550)
Scott (CarreraScott) (VA) (996 Cab)
Buddy (BuddyG) (MI) (02TT-PES700)
Kevin (Accomplice) (FL) (01TT)
Gary (Gary FL) (FL) 02TTX50
Eric (Captlst) (FL) (01TT)
Rob (RDH) (FL) (03TTX50)
Bob (bbeasley) (KY) (03TT)
Mark (maxiter) (PA) (97993TT)
Harold (hscttx50) (PA) (03TTX50)
Bob (NC Bob) (NC) (02TT)
Max (Sloth) (FL) (04GT3)
Tony (TonyNJ) (NJ) (02TT)
Ted (Prost) (State??) (996C2)Please PM me full name, # of attendees, cell number and state
Evan (AMG ETR) (FL) (02TT) CONGRATULATIONS!!

In accordance with a suggestion by one of the attendees, following is a list of some recommended "must haves" for your individual journeys:
  • Radar detector (Ideally V1)
  • CB Radio (tuned to channel 19)
  • FRS Radio (tuned to Channel 7, Sub 0)
  • Digital Camera
  • Digital Video Camcorder (ideally car mounted)
  • Cell phone car charger

Last edited by KPV; 10-27-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Banned
GT2wannab is on a distinguished road
Hey Ken,
First of all I can't believe how good of a job you and Colin are doing, a couple days ago this was just a crazy thought, however now it seems like a reality!!!
As I said I am going to work on my dad to let me go, this really does sound like fun.
The only problems also...From me (Delray Beach FL) Mapquest says its 750miles and will take 12 hours!!!! You have to tack on 1/2hour-1hour for the Miami boys, this seems like a long time, and if we meet at 2-3AM even if we drive like the Gumball I still don't' see how we can be there at 10AM .
I guess just somthing to think about for S. FL peeps....
Evan

Old 10-02-2003, 09:10 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
To quote BuddyG's previous post.......

Chicago to Asheville 654
Newark, NJ to Asheville 683
Orlando, FL to Asheville 583
Miami to Asheville 793

I think this would be better and we could draw a large contingent from the Midwest. I will offer to coordinate the Midwest contingent!"

Old 10-02-2003, 09:20 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Ken I am presetning you with the first 6speedonline member MVP award! Wow way to organize!

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Colin@PES is on a distinguished road
to make my self available for for any questions please PM me and I will then furnish my cell phone #, so that we can discuss this further. I am more than pleased to offer any assistance to anyone regarding this event. Hope to see all of you there!!!!!

Colin

Old 10-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Colin@PES is on a distinguished road
Evan come on you've all got turbo's I don't want to hear any stuff about taking 12 hours to get to asheville!!!!! And I'm willing to bet that half or more have more than the normal HP!!!!

Old 10-02-2003, 09:37 AM
drbill will become famous soon enough
you failed to advise uf of how many hours sleep we should get on Sat.nite.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Random Alias is on a distinguished road
While you guys are in NC, make sure and try some barbecue.
And don't worry, those Porsches will blend right in with all the pick-ups in the parking lot.

A couple of possibilities:

Bono's Pit Bar-B-Que - Asheville

Smokey Mountain Barbecue - Asheville

And for anyone driving through the state, a whole bunch of reviews can be found at the links below. If you can make it to Lexignton, NC (self proclaimed barbecue capital of the world) you'll have more than a few options to choose from.

The Shinola N.C. Barbeque Page
The Lexington Collection
Holly Eats - Carolina Barbecue

Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Tom N C4S NC is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a lot of fun, but you need to rethink your Friday schedule. Even for fast paced New Yorkers, no way can you leave Asheville at 1 PM and reach the Dragon, much less drive it, and then hit Chimney Rock and get back to Asheville for dinner.

Plan to stay Saturday night and drive US 74 from Asheville to Bat Cave and NC 9 to Black Mountian Sunday morning.

The Dragon deserves at least two runs each way. Also look at US 64 west out of Asheville toward Highlands.

Just some ideas.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:03 AM
redhummer96 is on a distinguished road
Anyone from the NC area going to try and make it? Sounds like a blast!

Old 10-24-2003, 06:36 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
TOD

Originally posted by redhummer96
Anyone from the NC area going to try and make it? Sounds like a blast!
I'm in. From Charlotte. Really looking forward to it. Get on board.