996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

window not lowering when door opens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
grdriver, My understanding is that there are three microswitches. One for the inside handle, one for the outside handle, and one that is soley responsible for determining if the door is open or closed.

The links above for the rennlist forum show this 3rd microswitch. It is essentially a little plastic plunger connected to a switch that gets depressed and stays depressed when the door is open. When you close the door, this switch opens up which signals the window to close.

It sounds to me like your issue is deffinitly with that third switch (which is a part of the door latch assembly). The article on Rennlist links to a post where a guy was able to buy a few non-Porsche microswitches and repair the little plastic plunger that broke off the switch.

For my problem, nothing changes when I hold either of the handles open, and as such I don't believe switches are playing a role in it. When I close the door, the window goes up normally (albeit only half the distance it would normally need to go up).

I am going to look into replacing the regulator. I have an extended warranty on the car, but I am guessing buying the parts and doing the work myself will be cheaper than the $300 deductible for the warranty work....

Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
savannah996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by grdriver
There are three possible locations that cause this.

Inside Door Handle microswitch

Outside Door Handle microswitch

or

replace the door latch (which is the one that I needed to replace)

I would do some troubleshooting first by trying to figure when it happens:

So if the window drops when you open:
1.the inside handle then look into the microswitch of the outside handle

2.the outside handle then the microswitch on the outside is working ok so i would consider checking the inside handle

If the lock unlock button lights up on its on anytime it wants and your car bbeeps twice when locking i would look into the door latch.

In my case it was the door latch which is easy to replace if you have the right tools
you forgot that fact that if the battery is disconnected the auto down feature is disabled until restarted

Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
The following article was linked to earlier in this thread but I wanted to attach it again as there still appears to be some question.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-switches.html

According to this thread on rennlist, the micro-switch in the door latch can be replaced / repaired without having to replace the entire door latch assembly.

This should fix the issue with the window going down the proper amount when the door handles are held open, but the window rolls back up as soon as the handle is released with the door open.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
rrdralli is on a distinguished road
i am having a similar problem except when I open the door, i can hear the window trying to go down, but it doesn't. I manually press the window switch to lower it a bit to avoid damage when closing the door and the window would pop back up by it self when closed. but lately i have another issue, is when I lower the window I am getting a stretching crackling noise while the window is in operation either way but it does work. is that the regulator gone bad?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Ahmet will become famous soon enough
The window regulator and the microswitch in the latch are by far the most common causes.

Door open, pull inside/outside door handle and the window goes down, but comes back up when you release =>bad "third microswitch" integrated into the latch. This design was updated in 2000, and the post 2000 models are far more reliable, but still fail.

Crunching noises/ability to move the window significantly by hand =>bad regulator/stretched cables.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Optical TDI is on a distinguished road
Dealer just fixed this exact situation and it was the "door latch micro switch not switching when door is closed" "R&R door panel and replaced door latch assembly". Part #: 8N1-837-015-C. Warranty time was 1.3 hours.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
max996 is on a distinguished road
Window

FYI, all the above mentioned issues, before you replace the door assembly, try this.

Found that the door latch was sticking somewhat, not returning to it's proper position.

Caused by build up of road grime etc, solution was to externally wipe it clean and applied some silcone or whatever you have (wd-40)spray on the metal moving parts.

Works great, found out after trouble shooting both door handle micro switches, and ready to attack the door latch assembly.

And while you are at it, do the passenger side as well, it to will need lube

Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Just tried the fix mentioned above and got it to work after cleaning and lubing the door latch. Will see if it lasts for a bit-good idea to start with!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
So almost three months later the fix is still working, cleaned thouroughly and then sprayed with some spray lube and all is good.

Try cleaning first-might save you some money and time.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
djshi is on a distinguished road
996 Turbo Window Issue

Max996 can you clarify what you cleaned in your #22 thread. My window will go up and down and will shut if I push the door with more force. If not the glass pops up and stays on the outside of the weatherstripping. I am hoping it is cleaning issue or I did replace the battery and will try the 15-20 second reset. Appreciate the help.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
djshi - If you open the door, then hold the outside handle open, does the window drop, then go back up when you release the handle?

Does it do the same if you use the inside handle?

If it does, than your issue is most likely the micro switch in the door lock assembly which you may be able to clean, or can replace.

If the window doesn't drop, or only drops slightly when you open the door, but does not go back up when the handles are released, then you are dealing with an issue with the window regulator.

I had to fix the regulator on the drivers side, and door lock microswitch on the passenger side, so I am becoming something of an expert with this The steps I outlined above will methodically diagnose these issues.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dailydriver
djshi - If you open the door, then hold the outside handle open, does the window drop, then go back up when you release the handle?

Does it do the same if you use the inside handle?

If it does, than your issue is most likely the micro switch in the door lock assembly which you may be able to clean, or can replace.

If the window doesn't drop, or only drops slightly when you open the door, but does not go back up when the handles are released, then you are dealing with an issue with the window regulator.

I had to fix the regulator on the drivers side, and door lock microswitch on the passenger side, so I am becoming something of an expert with this The steps I outlined above will methodically diagnose these issues.

I have the same issue with the window dropping from inside and outside but it goes back up instantly.
Is there a DIY on cleaning the lock assembly?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I have not seen one. I linked to the rennlist forum earlier in this thread that describes replacing the microswitch in the latch assembley, so that may give you a good outline of what needs to be cleaned.

I will be doing my passenger side door latch in the near future as it intermittently has issues, so I will do a write up if no one has gotten around to it by then.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 AM
AmericanPupusa is on a distinguished road
for 997 repair

I'm just posting this here as when I do searches this thread always pops up even though I have a 997.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:40 AM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mgtythor1
when i open my drivers door the glass comes down 1/2 inch to avoid rubbing against weather stripping ...well it doesnt come down anymore..and closing the door it hits the rubbers on door...any idea on what to get and how to fix it?? If i open the door and push down by hand it does come up on its own when i close it.

thanks
Have the same problem. Door latch microswitch, replace the entire door latch assy....common problem I am told. This will be on of my projects next winter.