996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

window not lowering when door opens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Mgtythor1 is on a distinguished road
window not lowering when door opens

when i open my drivers door the glass comes down 1/2 inch to avoid rubbing against weather stripping ...well it doesnt come down anymore..and closing the door it hits the rubbers on door...any idea on what to get and how to fix it?? If i open the door and push down by hand it does come up on its own when i close it.

thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Seems like your window regulator needs to be replaced....

Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
x1kc is on a distinguished road
does your window go down when you press the window button in the car?
i'm experiencing the same problem, and what i've found is that its the "microswitch" thats making the door think its always closed

here are some links from rennlist
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-switches.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ndow-woes.html

i'm currently having the same problem with my 996, and only way to close the door atm is by pushing the door "down" while closing it

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Have you disconnected your battery lately? Read your owners manual. There is a way to relearn the open/close feature.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
So I am having a similar problem. I read one of the forums over on Rennlist regarding the issue. From what was being discussed over there, it sounded like if you hold the door handle and the microswitch was bad, the window should still come down the 1/2 inch as there is a switch for hte door handle which overides the open close microswitch....

In my car the window drops about a 1/16th of an inch when opening the door. Holding the handle seems to have no impact on the functionality. I read through the owners manual and was only able to find a section that details how to reprogram the windows for "fully up" after the battery is disconnected, while this is not the case or problem for my car, I tried that procedure anyway, but still no luck.

I notice if I push the window down a bit further by hand while the door is open it will go all the way back up when the door is closed normally, so I am guessing all of the microswitches are working correctly?

Any other thoughts or recomendations?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
If it won't go down automatically when you first pull the handle, but you can push it down manually, it sounds like a window regulator. When you close the door, does it go back up automatically? If so, again, it is probably a regulator.

When a regulator goes bad, the cables stretch out. The window tries to drop down as it always has, and you can usually hear it try. Unfortunately, the stretched cables don't allow it to drop.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM
grdriver is on a distinguished road
There are three possible locations that cause this.

Inside Door Handle microswitch

Outside Door Handle microswitch

or

replace the door latch (which is the one that I needed to replace)

I would do some troubleshooting first by trying to figure when it happens:

So if the window drops when you open:
1.the inside handle then look into the microswitch of the outside handle

2.the outside handle then the microswitch on the outside is working ok so i would consider checking the inside handle

If the lock unlock button lights up on its on anytime it wants and your car bbeeps twice when locking i would look into the door latch.

In my case it was the door latch which is easy to replace if you have the right tools

Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
If it won't go down automatically when you first pull the handle, but you can push it down manually, it sounds like a window regulator. When you close the door, does it go back up automatically? If so, again, it is probably a regulator.

When a regulator goes bad, the cables stretch out. The window tries to drop down as it always has, and you can usually hear it try. Unfortunately, the stretched cables don't allow it to drop.

This is soundling like the most likely.... The window can be pushed down a bit by hand with the door open, and will go back up when the door is closed normally. Also something I noticed a while back is that when the window is lowered all the way I hear a slight thud inside the door almost like something is bottoming out. I never really thought it odd, it was just something that sorta sounded different than it had before...

What is the cost / effort involved in replacing this regulator? Any threads come to mind right off the bat?

Any idea how long I should expect it to continue operating as is (ie not getting any worse)? As it stands today, the window drops just enough that normal operation of the door is not really impacted... I can open and close the door without the window really hanging up a great deal.

I am kind of dreading pulling off the door skin... I was a car audio installer for a number of years, so the actual act of removing the door skin is no big deal, it is just that in my experience, once you start taking parts off and putting them back on, it is almost inevitable that some rattles are going to appear that weren't there before you started...

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
I had this and it was a microswitch

Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
OK, so the inside and oustide handles produce the same behavior when opening the door (window drops about an 8th or 16th of an inch). So I imagine both microswitches are ok?

Holding either of the handles with the door open and releasing them with the door open does not change the behavior at all (ie once the door is open pulling and holding either handle and/or releasing it does change the height of the window it just sits at the position it originally lowered to when opening the door). I am guessing this rules out the 3rd microswitch responsible for determining if the door is open or closed...

Any other thoughts or flaws in my logic? Any other switches not addressed by these tests?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
it looks like the door latch is the issue, (thats the same thing that was happening with mine)

Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Mgtythor1 is on a distinguished road
so what is the result...manuel push down when door is open but it does come up when door is shut. microswitch or regulator??...so the problem is when the door is opened not shut....

Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OKB
I had this and it was a microswitch
can u replace a microswitch by itself??? i have the same problem, but when i touch my handle the widow does go down a bit, but wont stay unless i hold the handle...same inside or out

porsche said the micro switch us built in the door latch so everything need to be replaced....

Old 08-07-2010, 11:40 PM
you can change both of them about $20 each, i bought mine from porsche parts its held in place by clipping onto the outside door handle, and the other one is on the inside of the door handle. I had replaced both of mine but the problem persisted, when i told that to porsche service they took another look and found the door latch not the microswitches to be the cause

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
i just remembered one last thing i tested when i wanted to close the door from the outside , if i held the door handle up the window would drop and as soon as i let it go the window would go back up again, now that meant that the microswitches were doing there job but the doorlatch was not indicating to the microswitches that the door was open and that it needs to keep the window lower so it can close properly, (definately door latch and not microswitches)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: window not lowering when door opens