996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Engine can't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
rrdralli is on a distinguished road
Engine can't start

Car was parked for a few weeks, started it up and its got really rough idle and doesn't rev above 3000rpm, the pedal feels like it has no power. CEL comes on and after a few mins the engine stalls. can't start it back up. the Engine turns and tries fire up but it seems like either no fuel to the engine or thinking air mass sensor went bad. I got 3 codes from the reader but can't find what they mean anywhere. about a month ago I encountered problems with hard acceleration which the car will hesitate if you floor the pedal but if you slowly gas it, the car revs up fine. Any ideas?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Car going into limp mode will keep the RPM down. CEL should be on at that point. Could be bad coil packs, water in the fuel, or stuck lifter.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The car will start and run even without the MAF hooked up so that is not the problem. Have you read the codes when the CEL is on. This is the first thing you should do. There are so many variables here but the codes might lead you directly to the problem. The porsche tool or a Durametric is the best for reading the codes, but even a inexpensive OBD reader will give you a lot of info. In the states Autozone's Pepboys, etc. will read the codes for you for free.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks guys. I have the codes but not having much luck seeing what they mean, its not on the internet anywhere, the dealer treats them like top secret info and just tells me to bring the car in. that will be my last option but before I do that, I just wanted to see what the codes mean and see if I can fix it first. these are the 3 codes, ( p9ff9 , p00bf , p80e2 ) I was able to find p00bf on internet, it says " Mass or Volume Air Flow "B" Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High "

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
register on renntech and try to go here

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=pcode

then under 'DIY Menu' there is a choice 'ODBII codes' - try to search there.
in decimal
00BF is 191
9FF9 is 40953
80E2 is 32994

or you may need to work with last part of those codes (bf, f9, e2) only, nopt sure - there is an older article with same thing here:
http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?...92#msg-1466992

Attached Images  

Last edited by utkinpol; 09-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Troy Jollimore is on a distinguished road
The fact that you had a slight issue before you parked it may render this idea useless, but since it was parked for a few weeks... Take a GOOD look at your exhaust and catalytic converters. Something (living or not) may be plugging them up, and the 'power only under slow acceleration' fits as a symptom.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 AM
thanks guys. So today I noticed its two issues. I had a feeling there was no gas going to the engine and the fuel pump sounds differently than usual, feels like its not pumping anything even though the gauge said it had 1/4 tank left. so I poured a few liters in and the engine started. Turns out the white gauge cluster i bought on ebay and installed a week prior to parking has a BAD READING, therefore ran out of gas.

but after this incident i took the car out and i still notice a hesitation in the throttle. this is different than the hesitation i was talking about before on hard acceleration. that seems to have gone now, dunno if had anything to do with me cleaning the MAF. but if u start from 0 and gas up, at 2000ish rpms, the car doesn't want to go, exhaust has a bubbling sound, no power even if u gas it. but if u let go of the throttle and gas it or if u play with it, the car seems to switch personalities and revs fine and will do so all the way to red line. even if u down shift, and gas there are no problems. but once the car slows to a stop or VERY SLOW and you gas it, the same thing happens. COIL PACKS or MAF SENSOR gone bad?

Last edited by rrdralli; 09-04-2010 at 05:18 AM.