Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The ultimate IMS UPGRADE

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Cool

Hey

can someone tell me how much this kit is ??
iam not that good in spanish

Maybe the company wants to bring this product to germany as well...I could post that on all Porsche forums over here...
Greetings from Hamburg-city

Zeljko

Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 AM
rb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure I would consider this a permanent solution. All you are doing is replacing 1 bearing with 2, hoping the second one will save the engine if the first one fails. The size of the stud is not the issue with the failure, it's the bearing failing, welding the race to the stud and snapping it off. If you look at the warranty claim, 3 years, I doubt a factory bearing would fail in 3 years (36K at 12K per year; I had 10 years & 105K on mine before I replaced it with the LN). All I see this is a more expensive maintenance piece, with a warranty that will never come into play. When I replace my clutch again in 30K, I'll pull, inspect and if need be replace my IMS bearing.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
juankimalo will become famous soon enoughjuankimalo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hey

can someone tell me how much this kit is ??
iam not that good in spanish

Maybe the company wants to bring this product to germany as well...I could post that on all Porsche forums over here...
Greetings from Hamburg-city

Zeljko

It would be very interesting to know german point of view

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Well Juankimal maybe it will be a way to sponsor one of those kits. I could instal it in my 2000 996 and make pictures and post that on several german Porsche forums. Before installing that kit i would take that to a guy i know here in Hamburg. He rebuilts all kind of motors. i would like to hear his opinion. My friend works as a mechanic at a Porsche dealer here in Hamburg. He would install that kit for me. Who knows maybe they is a way first to send this kit to Porsche Zuffenhausen direct. Iam sure they will check this kit and who knows maybe they will use it in former Porsche engines !!

Let me know if there is a way for one sponsor kit.
I heard about some IMS failures with Porsche watercooled engines !!!

Greetz

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
juankimalo will become famous soon enoughjuankimalo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Well Juankimal maybe it will be a way to sponsor one of those kits. I could instal it in my 2000 996 and make pictures and post that on several german Porsche forums. Before installing that kit i would take that to a guy i know here in Hamburg. He rebuilts all kind of motors. i would like to hear his opinion. My friend works as a mechanic at a Porsche dealer here in Hamburg. He would install that kit for me. Who knows maybe they is a way first to send this kit to Porsche Zuffenhausen direct. Iam sure they will check this kit and who knows maybe they will use it in former Porsche engines !!

Let me know if there is a way for one sponsor kit.
I heard about some IMS failures with Porsche watercooled engines !!!

Greetz

Hello

I'm going to make contact you to Rober from Insaro and you sure could do an arrangement

Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Dom9 is on a distinguished road
My work internet blocks that website!

Can you guys post a price on here?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by juankimalo View Post
Hello

I'm going to make contact you to Rober from Insaro and you sure could do an arrangement

Ok that sounds pretty good !!!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I think that he completed the registering but nevertheless here you have:

[email protected]

Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
am I converting this price correctly? $1800US including the extraction tool? That about 3x the LN price correct?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Wicked 996 View Post
am I converting this price correctly? $1800US including the extraction tool? That about 3x the LN price correct?
True, but only 1/10th the cost of a new engine.

Plus, if it truly is a 'fix' vs. 'preventative maintenance', then you only need to do it once, as opposed to changing it with every clutch (as has been discussed on this board and others wrt to LNE).

For me, the price isn't the issue - does it do what they say it does. If yes, then it's fair.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
I'd lower the price a bit. The argument that is cheaper than an engine, does not hold. If we go with that, is it 1/10 less complex than an engine? Right.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Things are priced based on the real or percieved value they generate - complexity and cost have nothing to do with it.

As I say, *if* it does what it says (completely solves the issue) is it worth it? Never mind that the cost is less than the engine, it is less than the cost of dropping your tranny twice.

Is it worth it?

We'll find out. If the product is successful at that price point, then the market says 'yes'. If not, then the price will eventually be reduced or the product will fail.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
+1 on Fozzy, economics 101. The design of this solution appears to be thorough and with the addition of the "fail safe" bearing, an extra level of security. I have mechanical engineering degree from a venerable technical institute in the Boston area and have been part of the design and pricing process several times. The development cost on an effort such as this, coupled with prototyping, testing, can be expensive and it must be balanced with the expected returns when a price is determined. As far as the design and development process, I would like to see the analysis and FEA completed as well as the modal analysis of the system. Remember, this was done in the EU and will be priced accordingly. The development process here could be easily in the 300 man hour range at $150.00/hr (my indie gets $105/hr) = $45k, plus tooling for the viton seal, raw materials purchased components production costs etc. at $1,800 per, they will be selling a lot before recoup their development costs. Let's see how they do.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
That's all great and true agreed. Yet, no intro price. As you pointed out, unproven. I'd lower the price a bit. It would not hurt at all and on the contrary, it can help to expedite sales without negative impact in the business side of things.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by tarzancoe View Post
That's all great and true agreed. Yet, no intro price. As you pointed out, unproven. I'd lower the price a bit. It would not hurt at all and on the contrary, it can help to expedite sales without negative impact in the business side of things.
True. If it were *me* I wouldn't lower my advertised price, but I would seek out a number of respected individuals in the p-car community and do whatever was necessary to try and get them using my mod - heck, I give them the part and pay for the installation.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The ultimate IMS UPGRADE

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.