996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Factory Airbox Modification [anyone know how to do it]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Grant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of lightGrant P is a glorious beacon of light
Do you mean this?

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
Yes I am talking about eliminating the "air box muffler" that's located inside the air box. And blocking off the small elbow pipe that's connected to the big elbow intake pipe. It adds 1.5 Liters cold air by eliminating muffler in airbox. This allows engine to draw cold air across entire topside of air box (left and right rather than just from the right).42 seconds faster acceleration 3000-6000 RPM. 4 ply silicone tube - better flow from airbox to throttle body. No C.E.L. light as you retain the factory MAF plastic screen/grill to straighten out airflow. 25% better Airflow = More Power
They have instructions and pics on the DIY section at Renntech.org

Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
The instructions on the DIY section of Renntech.org for this mod are unclear. That's why I was hoping someone here could elaborate.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
The instructions on the DIY section of Renntech.org for this mod are unclear. That's why I was hoping someone here could elaborate.
What part of it is unclear? I think it becomes clear when you actually do this. If you're just reading it, I could see how it can be confusing.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I understand about removing the resonator and adding the 2 inch pvc. The part that I don't understand is that he says he puts a rubber cap on the PVC, but doesn't explain what to do the the smaller hose that comes off the main hose. I also don't understand how the factory setup works, so I would be reluctant to mess with it until I did.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Two ways

1. leave the factory hose and block off the small opening
2. Get a new silicone hose for the larger opening and cap off the small opening

You can plug the small opening and put the small hose back on, it will not work since it is blocked underneath.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Nine_Eleven is infamous around these parts
You also have to remove the air box muffler for more air capacity.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Nine_Eleven is infamous around these parts
As soon as I do it I will post pictures so it's clear for everyone. I was confused by the other peoples post and DIY.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Let us know

After I did the airbox mod, I swapped it out for an Evolution motorsports CAI and then I tried the K/n intake which I still have on the car.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nijoma
After I did the airbox mod, I swapped it out for an Evolution motorsports CAI and then I tried the K/n intake which I still have on the car.

Why evo to kn? I know the design is slightly different but performance or sound wise aren't they pretty much the same?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Evo/K and N

I had an Evo intake that rubbed a belt on install, at the time I was not aware and Evo did not tell me about a air pump relocation kit (I did call them) so I was kinda pissed for all that money and the not fitting issue so I went with a K/N and run a dry filter on it so as not to worry about oil and MAF issues. Looking back I would have kept the stock box and just replaced the mufflers for better sound. Vic