996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

opinions on new whale tail

Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
PKStyles is on a distinguished road
don't have pics of my car, found this one... color is ugly as sin but you can see the wing better

http://fredopertracing.com/5-2-03/5.htm

Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
nah I don't like that one to much

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
johnnyreb2010 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I installed a turbo decklid with a carbon fiber oversized wing from maxspeed motorsport http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996fullexhaust.html
Not a whale tail but it's another way to go.

cheers,

Sid.
Psycho, You did it again man. That looks Awesome, almost like it was meant for that car.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
deputydog.... techart.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 AM
azaytsev has a spectacular aura aboutazaytsev has a spectacular aura about
I installed a turbo decklid with a carbon fiber oversized wing from maxspeed motorsport http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996fullexhaust.html
Not a whale tail but it's another way to go.

cheers,

Sid.
wow, you installed a turbo decklid on your c4s. Love the look. As far as i know it will not fit. How were you able to achieve that? please let me know I'm very very very interested.
Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
Psycho, You did it again man. That looks Awesome, almost like it was meant for that car.
Thanks Johnny!

hehehe... ya gotta to be a little crazy to try this one for sure.
I'm glad you like it!

It looks a lot better with the "carrera 4 S" lettering on the decklid though (red S), don't have pics of it but it's on (with everything blacked-out it just looked to bare... ).

Cheers!

Originally Posted by azaytsev
wow, you installed a turbo decklid on your c4s. Love the look. As far as i know it will not fit. How were you able to achieve that? please let me know I'm very very very interested.
Thanks
Thanks azaytsev,
The main tool for installation is... ego!!!
You're right, everywhere I researched it I was told that it couldn't be done.
I'll do a write-up on it when I've got some time.

In retrospect it's probably easier to go with a "bold on" decklid/wing... lets face it there's a lot of good looking choices out there (as is evident on this thread), but I just couldn't help myself, when someone tells me it can't be done it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

cheers.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks azaytsev,
The main tool for installation is... ego!!!
You're right, everywhere I researched it I was told that it couldn't be done.
I'll do a write-up on it when I've got some time.

In retrospect it's probably easier to go with a "bold on" decklid/wing... lets face it there's a lot of good looking choices out there (as is evident on this thread), but I just couldn't help myself, when someone tells me it can't be done it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

cheers.
Thanks. I still want to know more about it . Does it require major cutting and changing the sheet metal? What about the air box? Is the wing functional? Love the OEM turbo look. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM
^^ apparently, I just learned there is a big difference between coupe and cabriolet and 996 tt decklid will not fit c4s

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by azaytsev
Thanks. I still want to know more about it . Does it require major cutting and changing the sheet metal? What about the air box? Is the wing functional? Love the OEM turbo look. I appreciate your help. Thanks
OK I know it's basically a dead thread at this point but...well ummm I didn't want to leave ya hanging... too late?
Better late than never.

I keep wanting to do a write-up/thread on this turbo decklid install (of course I still haven't!), thus being able to give you and others the answer to the proverbial question "how is it done"!

The short answer would be "it's very, very complicated"!!!!

The long answer is uhm...well...long
Bottom line, there's a multitude of ways to do it...

Here's one;

Install a turbo decklid (they DO fit on a C4S).

Make a new "mounting plate" for the hot air vent and in take boot thus allowing me to keep my airbox, wiring harness, air-boot etc.

Tape of one of the micro switches in order to fool the computer only to use 1 brake light (the one in the Turbo lid).

Move the pump on the left of the airbox and cut the right corner (top & bottom) of the the airbox itself (cap it by melting/fusing a section ABS pipe to it) in order to make room for the (large!) hydraulic turbo lifter.

Then of course you've got to make sure everything lines up so the lid closes properly and all works (easier said than done).

Lots of "Frankenstein " brackets, clips, templates etc. and you'll need a really, really good mechanic to do the computer stuff, install etc.

You can also change everything!!!!! for the stock turbo stuff but that cost about 8K (not counting the $$ for decklid and hydraulics, paint, labour etc.) and you still need to do about the same amount of work, just different work...

I'll do a detailed write-up at some point ... but untill then I hope this extremely simplified explanation answered your question.

Cheers!

Sid.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Was there ever a group buy for the fiberwerks whale tail?